Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rich5665

Couple of questions

When I did my Partial Mash of Irish Red the starting Gravity was right where it needed to be be 1.050. Two weeks in and i just took a second reading, the gravity is at 1.014 that's going to be about a 1.8% APV. The instructions that I have for the beer state Gravity should be at 1.025 after 2 weeks and should be ready to bottle.

Question 1: How can I raise the gravity to 1.025?

Question 2: Should I wait an additional week? This is a 4 gallon brew sitting in a 5 Gallon primary fermenter.

The color and clarity of the beer is perfect, a nice dark non-cloudy amber, with a nice flat beer flavor.

First, I assume you mean ABV not APV?

1.050 - 1.014 x 131.25 = 4.73% ABV.

Can't imagine what yeast would only give you 50% attenuation (1.050 to 1.025).  Average is 75%, leaving you at 1.0125.  You hit 1.014 in 2 weeks, you're nearly there.  

Question 1: Can't raise gravity at this point, nor do you want to.

Question 2: Yes, you should wait a total of 3 weeks, then bottle and give it 4 weeks at room temp.

First, I assume you mean ABV not APV?

1.050 - 1.014 x 131.25 = 4.73% ABV.

Can't imagine what yeast would only give you 50% attenuation (1.050 to 1.025).  Average is 75%, leaving you at 1.0125.  You hit 1.014 in 2 weeks, you're nearly there.  

Question 1: Can't raise gravity at this point, nor do you want to.

Question 2: Yes, you should wait a total of 3 weeks, then bottle and give it 4 weeks at room temp.

Yes meant ABV. So then I should be okay a 1.014, the guy who helped me at the LHBS wrote out the instructions and indicated that the final gravity reading should have been 1.025 I'm beginning to think he meant after I was done brewing, which would make more sense. The gravity would then drop after fermenting. With the calculations you supply the ABV will be right where it should be. Thanks Rick, I was really hoping you would be the person answering.

How the beer tastes is a lot more important then ABV.

Why are so many brewers mainly concerned with ABV?

Looks to me like he was concerned with gravity, and ABV is naturally a part of that.

;)