Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dan_The_Man

Booster Pack Clumps.....

Well I used the Booster Pack for the first time....and there was now clumps (of course...)....I tried mixing for well over 5 mins with the HME and 4 cups of boiling water

What's going to happen now? I put them in the keg because I didnt want to waste any by throwing them out....will they EVENTUALLY dissolve along with the yeast attacking it? Will I just need to mix my beer afterwards?

Or worse....will it explode....?

You have to pour VERY slowly and is best to use a whisk. Whatever you do DO NOT let the booster touch the bottom of the pan even after flame out. The first time I used the booster pack I made a mistake and poured it into the LBK instead of adding it to boil. It came out fine and so should yours.

EDIT: Next time try using a scoop to pour it in a little at a time. The steam will get in the bag and create clumps before they even hit the water.

• Like 1

The only time I used the Booster, I poured as slowly as I could and still got lumps. I just whisked like mad for at least 5 minutes, they all came out.

As far as lumps in the wort? I'd like to think they'd eventually dissolve/get eaten over 3 weeks... but IDK.

I like the scoop idea, but booster is a pain. Side note I don't like using booster in my brews, but it has the same consistency as DME.  I love DME and will now use the scoop technique when adding DME to my brews.

I like to use the scoop that comes with my protein after I finish the jug. Clean of course. Not sure how I feel about a cookies and cream protein stout now. Maybe a post work out brew. Hmmmm

If you add it in before it boils (a little warm is good) and heat more while stirring, I find it clumps a lot less.

I believe its recommended to dissolve the booster in cold water slowly as it turns to a boil, ive tried the latter, and got the same results u had, next time try it in cooler water, stir constantly as it warms, takes sum time but itll dissolve properly

Well I used the Booster Pack for the first time....and there was now clumps (of course...)....I tried mixing for well over 5 mins with the HME and 4 cups of boiling water

My only question is: did you boil the HME with the booster for 5 minutes? You want to add the HME after flame out and not boil it. It won't ruin your beer, however it can affect the taste by altering the hop characteristics.

Is a booster pack DME?  I have not used a MrBeer booster, but I have used DME.  Rather than pouring DME in slowly I recommend pouring it in fast and rather than cold water I recommend boiling water. Personally I find it dissolves a lot faster in hot water than cold and since you are going to get clumps anyway might as well dissolve them fast.  If you pour it in slowly the steam from the boiling water will make the DME into dumplings before it even hits the water.  I find a couple of big dumplings (from a fast dump) with a nice dissolvable core easier to deal with than hundreds of little dumplings (from a slow dump) with a hard cores.

No, it's not DME.

From the Mr. Beer site: Booster™ is made from corn syrup solids and is ideally suited for use as a brewing adjunct. It provides a full and balanced range of both fermentable and unfermentable sugars that are designed to mimic the carbohydrate profile of all-malt wort, consisting of 8% glucose, 56% maltose, 16% maltotriose, and 20% dextrins.

It's almost impossible to not get clumps when mixing Booster with water.   My experience has shown me that the best way to use the booster (and this won't hurt anything about the brew) is to dump the pack into the cold water and begin heating the water.  Yes, it will be all clumpy and seem all wrong, but once the water is boiling the booster will be mostly dissolved and by the time you flame out it will be fine.   Continue to stir with a sanitized whisk and it'll be fine.

• Like 2