Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
vtresca75

Color of beer

I have asked Mr Beer this question with no help from their brewmasters. I have been using the products for a little

over two years. The problem I have is that all, and I mean all of the beers I have brewed all are darker than the

flavor profile on the website in regards to any brew. All my beers that should be golden in color are amber, all amber

beers are almost brown and brown ales are just about black. This has become some what disapointing and I am

thinking of no longer making any thing from Mr Beer. My cleaning is as I see it is very sound, I use top rated sanitizers,

and yet every end product is always darker than they should be. I also use a very good spring water, no tap water

because my water comes fom a well and it taste like crap so I would never use it in beer making. Any help on this

matter and if any one else has had this problem.

Honestly, this is just the nature of liquid malt extracts. They tend to sometimes come out darker than when using 100% dry extracts or all-grain. While this hasn't always been the case in my experience, it is quite common, especially if you're using malts that are getting close to their expiration date. The good news is that the color doesn't effect the flavor in any way.

• Like 1

Well thanks for the reply, that being the case, then maybe Mr Beer should have something

said about this on ever recipe on  the website.

Well thanks for the reply, that being the case, then maybe Mr Beer should have something

said about this on ever recipe on  the website.

That's a good idea. I think maybe we should have a disclaimer saying that the malt may be a bit darker than anticipated, depending on Best By date. I'll run it by our website guys.

• Like 1

I think there is also a relationship between darkening color and the amount of time the extract spends in boiling water - it is called a Maillard reaction. But also the container you use to heat the water can leach chemicals that can darken your wort

theres also kettle caramelization.  I boiled amber dme to reduce it for a scotch ale experiment. it went from amber to nearly brown/black.. but not burned.  color has no impact on the beer's enjoy-ability.

• Like 1

I wonder if the OP is following directions for the HME and just sticking it in at flame out or following the Papazian book and boiling it.

Any adjuncts will contribute to less than 100% objective.

LME, Fruits, Sugars will distort the color. but add intensity to the Brew.

Anyone for a malt Guiness

I think head retention and color are the two most over rated aspects to a beer. 

Okay.

Truthfully, color is the last thing I rate when having a beer. There are so many other things more important such as flavor, balance, mouth-feel, finish, aroma, body (according to the desired style). I would not abandon MB products just because of dissatisfaction with the color. JoshR and Brewer gave an excellent account of why the color might not meet expectations. BTW I was recently at a local Brew Pub, and had several styles of beer. ALL were rather darker than the commercial brands of the same style. Just a passing thought, YMMV.

• Like 1

I agree on color. But I consider head retention very desirable and find it to be quite fickle from batch to batch.

• Like 1