Mr.Beer Community
HoppySmile!

Chimay Blues

will be racking the Chamay Blue into a secondary this weekend, got me one of those Big Mouth Bubbler carboys to try out. been doin sum shopping on craigslist, y is everyone selling their beer kits? I dunno but i'm getting sum great deals! got a guy about 200 miles frm where I live selling his brewing kit which consists of 5 glass carboys, buckets, and whole lot od utensils, hydrometers, etc, for $100.00! hope its not stolen! LOL!

• Like 1

my Blue gets the second hop sack this Friday.. bottling 7 days later.  looking forward to it finishing!  

CL is dead around me.  everyone wants like $25 for an LBK or $45 for a full kit...  totally overpriced... 

• Like 1

I've seen quite a few deals too, on craigslist, but none or very few of them local enough. I did find my Mr. Beer equipment in St. Louis, a couple hours away, so I drove up there and picked it up earlier this year. 

• Like 1

I got my first one on Woot, my second on CL, and the rest from stores after the holidays - in my case all in January, but sometimes you can find them after Father's Day.

Wow... this makes me feel like I've had good luck. My buddy got an entire kit with LBK & 1l bottles, including a 3-year-out-of-date HME, for $10, and I've gotten a LBK for $8 as well as a relatively new kit with the LBK, 750ml bottles, and two good HMEs for $20.

*takes a bow*

• Like 3

well for the record, ive got 7 lbk's, frm c.l. and ebay, however, soon ill be ready to give  them to a good home, bcuz ill be moving to bigger process, so sumday soon ill have them available, probably ask only return on the shipping cost, but give them away, so someone can enjoy the Mr. Beer experience like I have

• Like 1

will be racking the Chamay Blue into a secondary this weekend, got me one of those Big Mouth Bubbler carboys to try out. been doin sum shopping on craigslist, y is everyone selling their beer kits? I dunno but i'm getting sum great deals! got a guy about 200 miles frm where I live selling his brewing kit which consists of 5 glass carboys, buckets, and whole lot od utensils, hydrometers, etc, for $100.00! hope its not stolen! LOL!

btw, this chamay recipe I doubled for a five gallon batch! just like cowboykyle, I added my hallauratu{ or however they're pronounced} hops two days ago, it smells real good...yum

HoppySmile, I would keep a couple of those LBKs just for __its-and giggles in case I would like to do a small batch for some reason. That's just me.

• Like 1

got the CHIMAY in the secondary, this is a 5 gal batch, got 2 five gallon batches to do this weekend, a helles bock and a cinqo del mayo recipe depends on my time off, will do a definite helles bock next, and throw in sum crisp amber malt

Can anyone post the list of what you need to make this brew, I can't I cant find it anywhere.Thanks

Thanks for the link im gonna try this one and the magic hat on too

• Like 1

This looks like a good sale!

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/mr-beer-premium-edition-beer-kit/110570920

Maybe they are clearing them before getting revised packaging??

I see them described on this site as   e.g. "Craft Homebrew Classic Kit" which does not actually have the "Craft" refills - it has CAL. You have to go to the ."Craft Homebrew Master Kit" kit for that.,

This looks like a good sale!

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/mr-beer-premium-edition-beer-kit/110570920

Maybe they are clearing them before getting revised packaging??

I see them described on this site as   e.g. "Craft Homebrew Classic Kit" which does not actually have the "Craft" refills - it has CAL. You have to go to the ."Craft Homebrew Master Kit" kit for that.,

$10 for the two pack refill seems like a good price as well...

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/mr-beer-brew-pack-refill-american/115083920

Yes, I  did by a kit and a 2 pack today from the local store. They were still marked at the original TW price of 24.95 and 19.95  but rang up at the lower prices. They were old kits though but still useful. They have one of each left it looks like.

The Kit had HME expiring in Mar 2014 and had 1L bottles (and no caps, I thought  - I found them later) but still was worth the money. The 2 pack has Patriot Lager and CAL expiring in Mar and Oct 2014, so still usable.

I really did not need another LBK but  the bottles and HME made it good.

They seem to be stocking up on a different 1 gallon kit the "Brooklyn Brew Kit" at $30 for 1 gal kit and they have a wide variety of styles.

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/search/Brooklyn_Brew_Kit

And these are All Grain. Refill for 1 gal is $15

Kit does not include bottles/caps/capper. But has a 1 gal glass fermenter, stopper, airlock, thermometer, tubing, bottling wand, hops, malt and yeast. 

Instructions are OK but process is naturally a bit messy.

They also have collaboration recipes.

Refill does not include sanitizer.

I am guessing it would taste good being all grain - but a lot more work than Mr B. kit

Oooooh now I am seeing $40 and $60 for kits on the Brooklyn web site.

A nice touch is they give you printable beer labels on the site. Not fancy but useful.

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/beer-making-kits/summer-wheat-beer-making-kit

Would work well if printed on plain paper and fixed with milk as has been suggested on forum.

I have used the Brooklyn Brew Shop kits before, and they make good beers.  They are nice, but kind of spendy as all-grain brewing goes.  A $15 investment on ingredients for only a gallon of output is a bit askew, but you are paying for convenience.  The local Whole Foods and BB&B carry them, so I tend to pick one up if, on the weekends, I need additional ingredients in a pinch (the LHBS is a bit far away from home for me to make a quick stop in).  You can also coupon them up at BB&B to cut into the price a bit ($3 off for a 20% off coupon).  You can obviously do a double batch of these in a Mr. B fermenter, or you can buy their fermenter.  Of course, their fermenter is simply a glass jug, so you can get one of those filled with cider at Whole Foods (any 1 gallon fermenters I have started their life fermenting the apple juice/cider that came in them into hard cider).

Interesting, I may try one sometime, after I am done with the vast stock of extracts I have - lol.

Often the caps for the Mr. Beer bottles are in a bag inside the LBK.

RickBeer, Great point, I did not check that. 

I just looked and yes they are there.  :D  

• Like 1

picture above was suppose to say, 5 gal. chimay blue in big mouth bubbler carboy that I bought at the lhbs, trying it out, and a lot easier to clean. includes a screw on co2 vent, kinda cheap but it was free, oh well i'll see how this one turns out in about six months

I want to give a BIG THANX to VADDKO where ever u r! for helping me with probably the best aroma/tasting beer I've made so far, now since I've done a 5 gallon batch I know now i'll have to do a 10 gallon to satisfy my appetite for this amazing recipe!. however, the Belgian spiced ale is no longer, i'll just have to improvise.! soon i'll post the modified recipe I did so sum of you can give it a shot it would be well worth the wait.... 

racking Chimay into bottling bucket

32 Oz. Chimay Blue

you sampled at 3-4 weeks?   I bottled 16 days ago, and was contemplating giving a bottle a whirl...  But Vakko had recommended 8 weeks... I don't want to spoil the experience :)

my primary was a month, then I put it in a seconday carboy for over a month, then bottled yesterday. I sampled it during bottling and I was in heaven...... I cud drink it right now but will wait another month , it'll be worth the investment