Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Niblick

Residue in Neck of Bottle?

Bewitched Amber Ale, 3 weeks in LBK, 4 weeks in bottle, constant temps ~71*...when I went to move the bottles to the fridge, I noticed a dark krausen-like residue in the neck of some (not all) of the PET bottles. Having many Mr. Beer batches under my belt, I've never seen this. Is it something it I should be concerned about?

Probably not. Rarely, it can be a sign of infection from a wild yeast or bacteria. But most often, it's simply a mini "krausen ring" like the ring that is formed on your fermenter during fermentation. This is sometimes a result of higher than normal carbonating temps causing a "mini krausen" in the bottle. It's harmless and shouldn't affect the flavor of the beer. These rings can also be caused by priming with dry malt extract instead of sugar. Like I said, in rare cases, it could be a sign of infection. The only way to know that would be to taste it. If it tastes normal, it's probably fine. If it has a sour or moldy taste, it's probably an infection.

Bewitched Amber Ale, 3 weeks in LBK, 4 weeks in bottle, constant temps ~71*...when I went to move the bottles to the fridge, I noticed a dark krausen-like residue in the neck of some (not all) of the PET bottles. Having many Mr. Beer batches under my belt, I've never seen this. Is it something it I should be concerned about?

Pretty common.

I saw this on all my bottles of one of my batches.  4 months later and the beer is still great.

I get this from time to time. never because of bad beer, I figure it is just what is left from hops on what I bottle.

I have never found any klausen rings in the bottle but most of the folks here seem to think it is safe.

My first thought was the batch became aireated or added oxygen @ bottling time. Filtering the trub @bottling time will aireate the beer causing excess oxygen.

It would be great if there were a economy priced bug tester like a hydrometer that finds unwanted bacteria. Like most are posting if your batch gets infected you will know it.

Smell and taste.

Cheers,M