Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rich5665

Cracked my LBK

Not sure when I did it, but I cracked one of my little brown kegs. My best guess would be after I was washed it out and replaced the spigot. I found the crack after filling it with water for the Helles Bock I was about to add in. Luckily I had two LBKs on stand by. Turned the heat down on the water that was boiling, sanitized a second keg (Had a 5 gallon bucket filled with Star San also on stand by) After the sanitizing was done, I brought the water back to a boil opened the Helles Bock HME and continued on. I'm upset about losing an LBK, but I think I'm pretty well covered with 2 extras, a 5 gallon Primary fermenter and a 2 - 5 gallon carboys all waiting to be put to use.

• Like 1

Yea, it'd suck to loose a LBK due to it cracking, but I'd say you're still doing pretty good with the extra fermentors you've got. Brew on! ;-)

• Like 2

I have two, keep one empty and have used it for batch-priming, but I'd like to get a batch of apfelwein going in my empty LBK, and I worry that something will happen to the other one as soon as I start in with using the second LBK - apfelwein needing to sit on the yeast for a good 2-3 months.

*bites nails*

never had any issues with any of my lbk's, and never had I removed the spignot, just clean it thoroughly inside and out and drain the no rinse cleaner thru it. never had I had any sanitizing issues bcuz of that either.

Spigot should be removed AND disassembled each time, cleaned carefully, and sanitized in pieces. The top and bottom of the spigot does come apart.

• Like 2

I use a small bottle brush to GENTLY clean the two pieces, the bottom piece ALWAYS has trub in it.  ALWAYS.

• Like 1

I use a small bottle brush to GENTLY clean the two pieces, the bottom piece ALWAYS has trub in it.  ALWAYS.

I did try taking it apart, but worried I was going to break it so gave up. But since I haven't taken it apart I clean m LBK well with mild soap and water and a soft disk cloth. Then soak the whole LBK with the spigot open in a bucket of no rinse cleaner generally overnight or longer. Seems to work OK.

But how do you take the spigot apart, do you use tools? 

Yes, I use tools.  Hold it in your hands, turn it half way.  Wiggle back and forth and exert an upward pull.  If it doesn't separate, take a screwdriver and turn it in the crack where the two parts both have edges on the side.  You'll hear a "pop", and a "click" when you reassemble.

Spigot should be removed AND disassembled each time, cleaned carefully, and sanitized in pieces. The top and bottom of the spigot does come apart.

One of the LBKs that I picked up used, had a very nasty stench. A whole day in water and unscented dish soap didn't help. I even filled a glass with sanitizer and water, left it over night, nope still stunk, I wound up replacing it. I'm looking for a third LBK. I might just buy a new one off the Mr. Beer Site, $10 plus $7.95 shipping is not much more than what I paid for a used one.