Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BeastYeast

1.5 Gallon Mini Keg System

Seems like a lot of money just to put bubbles in your beer & your beer in a glass.

;)

• Like 2

That looks nice! Seems perfect for the bulk of a Mr Beer batch with the rest being bottled. Now, if I only had the money.

Seems like a lot of money just to put bubbles in your beer & your beer in a glass.

;)

It's a good thing I have a good job. I have a feeling I'm going to need a couple more since I'll be making more 1 gallon batches. It'll be nice to filter the 1 gallon batches as well.

>It's a good thing I have a good job. I have a feeling I'm going to need a couple more since I'll be making more 1 gallon batches. It'll be nice to filter the 1 gallon batches as well.

I'm interested in doing some 1G batches, Any tips/suggestions?

My daughter got me a 1G brewing kit awhile back, but it was a Lager and not an Ale recipe. Afterwards I bought my Mr. Beer LBK's and Ale recipes so I hadn't made anything with it. I've found some interesting recipes from Northern Brewer and The American Home Brewer

I guess I don't understand going through the effort of making 128 ounces of beer, i.e. just over a 12 pack.  Same effort, much less to drink.

As far as kits - once you adding steeping grains and hops to a Mr. Beer extract can, there is really no reason to buy a kit comprised of LME/DME, hops, and steeping grains, when you can buy all of it separately.  The 1 gallon kits like that I've seen have been very expensive.  

A 5 gallon kit should cost between low 20s and low $30.00.  Two LBKs, a 5 gallon pot (to hold 2.5 gallons of water), a quart and a pint measuring cup - and you're all set to brew 5 gallons and split it between 2 LBKs.  $32.00 for 5 gallons = $6.40 per gallon...

• Like 1

>It's a good thing I have a good job. I have a feeling I'm going to need a couple more since I'll be making more 1 gallon batches. It'll be nice to filter the 1 gallon batches as well.

I'm interested in doing some 1G batches, Any tips/suggestions?

My daughter got me a 1G brewing kit awhile back, but it was a Lager and not an Ale recipe. Afterwards I bought my Mr. Beer LBK's and Ale recipes so I hadn't made anything with it. I've found some interesting recipes from Northern Brewer and The American Home Brewer

What will you be using for the primary? The one I'm using for the primary is the booster pack from northern brewer. Depending on if I'm making a 1.125 gallon or 1.25 gallon batch I either use the "wine" jug or another booster pack as a secondary. I haven't tried anything other than the northern brewer recipes other than an all grain wheat beer. It's just 1lbs 2-row and 1 lbs wheat with mount hood hops and was done in a brew in bag style. There's nothing to it really. Are you doing all extract right now and this will be your first upgrade?

I guess I don't understand going through the effort of making 128 ounces of beer, i.e. just over a 12 pack.  Same effort, much less to drink.

As far as kits - once you adding steeping grains and hops to a Mr. Beer extract can, there is really no reason to buy a kit comprised of LME/DME, hops, and steeping grains, when you can buy all of it separately.  The 1 gallon kits like that I've seen have been very expensive.  

A 5 gallon kit should cost between low 20s and low $30.00.  Two LBKs, a 5 gallon pot (to hold 2.5 gallons of water), a quart and a pint measuring cup - and you're all set to brew 5 gallons and split it between 2 LBKs.  $32.00 for 5 gallons = $6.40 per gallon...

If you have to ask the question then I don't think you'll understand the answer in the first place. I actually have separated a 5 gallon batch into 5 1 gallon batches (still have 2 gallons to make) and have experimented with yeast, hops and temperature. Especially using the nottingham yeast at 57F.

If you're not going to make 1 gallon batches then it really isn't for you to understand.

That makes total sense to me.  Buying 1 gallon kits doesn't.   ;)

That's like saying it doesn't make sense to buy extract kits. So why wouldn't you get a dry irish stout, wheat, or nut brown ale 5gallon all grain for $18.51 that comes out to $3.70/gallon.

But hey bubba, no one cares :D

I just got me a 12 ounce kit! it makes one 12 ounce can of beer at a tyme! i'm sorry I apologize for that comment.  can understand for those folks that prefer a one gallon recipe. however, a one gallon recipe that only yields about a 12 pack wud just simply put it for me, just pissed off, barely enuf beer to piss me off! i'm getting ready to do a 10 gallon batch.

That's like saying it doesn't make sense to buy extract kits. So why wouldn't you get a dry irish stout, wheat, or nut brown ale 5gallon all grain for $18.51 that comes out to $3.70/gallon.

That's easy.  1) Don't have the equipment for all grain (propane/nat gas burner, larger pot, mashing equipment), 2) Don't want to spend the extra time on all grain nor cooking it outdoors.

• Like 1

mini kegs For My second fermentation

I spent about $75-80 bucks on two 5 liter mini kegs, with co2, tap and tubing. I tried it out at a party about a month ago, and it was a success, so that being said, not a bad idea, I have this for more as an experiment b4 I jump into the 5+ gallon kegs

That's easy.  1) Don't have the equipment for all grain (propane/nat gas burner, larger pot, mashing equipment), 2) Don't want to spend the extra time on all grain nor cooking it outdoors.

1.) A 5 Gallon batch can be a split brew in a bag style setup with ONE kettle. So no need for burner or mash equipment. 2.) with that setup it can be done indoors

I spent about $75-80 bucks on two 5 liter mini kegs, with co2, tap and tubing. I tried it out at a party about a month ago, and it was a success, so that being said, not a bad idea, I have this for more as an experiment b4 I jump into the 5+ gallon kegs

I'm glad I didn't do a larger batch of the dead ringer IPA. I'm not much for IPA's but I had heard good things about the dead ringer. It was ok but I would have been ticked off if I had 4 more gallons to either drink or give away lol

• Like 1

Finally a keg system for my 1.25 gallon batches. I'll probably use this as well for the 2.25 gallon batches and just bottle whats left over. Ordered 1 today so I'll probably put my honey country pilsner in there

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/kegging/mini-kegs/draft-brewer-mini-keg-system

It's strange that the smaller a keg is, the more expensive they get. You can get 5 gallon kegs for around $60, 2 gallon kegs for $100, and 1.5 gallon kegs for $140. Strange.

• Like 1

It's strange that the smaller a keg is, the more expensive they get. You can get 5 gallon kegs for around $60, 2 gallon kegs for $100, and 1.5 gallon kegs for $140. Strange.

So the 1 liter plastic bottles ought to be selling for about $400 filled!  :o

For what it's worth, this 1.5 gallon keg comes complete with everything but the CO2 (regulator, tap, tubing, o-rings, etc). Not too bad for dipping your toes into kegging. I believe that the connectors are ball lock, so if you purchase a 5 gallon ball lock keg later on you're good to go.

• Like 1

ive got a 3 gal and a 5 gal cornelious pin lock keg, however, the pin lock posts are no good and having difficulty trying to find sum to replace so I guess i'll convert to ball lock, frustrating...

I'm glad I didn't do a larger batch of the dead ringer IPA. I'm not much for IPA's but I had heard good things about the dead ringer. It was ok but I would have been ticked off if I had 4 more gallons to either drink or give away lol

LOL!

ive got a 3 gal and a 5 gal cornelious pin lock keg, however, the pin lock posts are no good and having difficulty trying to find sum to replace so I guess i'll convert to ball lock, frustrating...

You can get a "reconditioned" pin lock for $60

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/kegging/draft-brewer-reconditioned-pin-lock-keg

Considering it comes with very good regulator, gas and fluid lines it's a great deal for what I need. When is Mr. Beer going to start selling kegs JoshR?

For the prices you mentioned I would love to buy from you guys.

It's really for the learning experience, I guess. Although here they do list several reasons why people might choose to brew 1G vs 5,10,15+. Some sites's prices for the 1G kits do seem expensive compared to a 5G recipe kit, i.e. probably 2x-3x as much as it should be vs. the amount of beer. Of course other people who always brew 5G, 10G, or even 15G sometimes don't see the point of brewing anything less. I'm still brewing 2-2.5G Mr. Beer and BD recipes kits and it's working out fine.

Check out this auction on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331541725316?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT for a Corny Keg Lid Replacement Ball Lock Liquid & Gas Post & Poppet Combo. $18.40 - shipping included.

thanx scouterbill,  ball locks are abundance, but pin locks are hard to get as a set, I think i'll convert my ways....., to the better system

Finally a keg system for my 1.25 gallon batches. I'll probably use this as well for the 2.25 gallon batches and just bottle whats left over. Ordered 1 today so I'll probably put my honey country pilsner in there

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/kegging/mini-kegs/draft-brewer-mini-keg-system

I've had that damn thing in my "cart" and nearly pulled the trigger 2 or 3 times this week. LOL. When the "20% off 1 item code" came in the email I almost pulled the trigger.

I see no downside. It would make for another reason to brew a batch (a fridge batch). Plus introduce me to kegging... using an existing fridge because of the unique shape.

Love the idea of bottling the extra as well. Keep us posted on how you like it and what your experience is with it. You're my guinea pig.  ;)

• Like 1

My boss has been brewing a long time and has a nice 5 gal kegging system with multiple 5 gal kegs. One piece of advice he gave me was if I move to kegging, go all out and just do the 5 gal. He told me of a 5 year journey going from a 1.5 gal kegging system all the way up to 5 gal. He had many issues and was not happy until now and he said he wasted hundreds of dollars.

I am new and do not keg. I am just sharing the opinion of a seasoned brewer.

black mesa stout

this is the set up I have for a 5 liter mini keg, that after 3 months of aging I tapped into this about 10 minutes ago! OMG! it really tastes sooooo good! this complete set up cost me under $100.00. I was suppose to save this keg for a bbq Saturday, but I just cudnt wait any longer lol! I guess I can take that 30 pk of PBR instead hehehe.....

That looks nice! Seems perfect for the bulk of a Mr Beer batch with the rest being bottled. Now, if I only had the money.

There are 2 gallon ball lock kegs available, that would be far better for kegging a Mr. Beer batch

Adding to RickBeers reasons why brew with extract:

>That's easy.  1) Don't have the equipment for all grain (propane/nat gas burner, larger pot, mashing equipment), 2) Don't want to spend the extra time on all grain nor cooking it outdoors.

3. SWMBO cannot stand smell of brewing and boiling hop and grain.

4. I cannot manage easily to carry 5 gall containers easily up & down stairs from Kitchen to basement where fermentation/storage takes place.

5. If I want to add some grain or other stuff I can easily do it (and have) but do not need full boil using HME as base. (But only when SWMBO is out getting her hair done or similar.)

6. I like a big variety of beers to drink

7. I like to experiment so smaller batches work well

8. The Mr Beer brewing system and LBK really is very convenient and produces decent and sometimes excellent beer.

• Like 1

There are 2 gallon ball lock kegs available, that would be far better for kegging a Mr. Beer batch

rich,

Actually, I recently purchased a couple of used 4 gallon ball lock kegs at my LHBS. I figure that is perfect for a double Mr Beer batch. They had them for $25 and I couldn't pass up such a good deal.

So, needless to say I'm no longer looking at these 1 1/2 gallon kegs.

That makes total sense to me.  Buying 1 gallon kits doesn't.   ;)

We have tried to tell our retailers this for a long time.  But the consumers are liking to do only a one gallon brew for some reason.

will be kegging my 5 gallon helles bock soon, got all the ball lock conversions and new seal gaskets. was going to do it this weekend, but with one day off I was just too darn wore out. plan on next weekend with all the preparations ready