Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Big Boy

Leaking spigot

Made two fateful errors three weeks ago and am trying to find out if I have plant fertilizer or something worth drinking in a month.

After filling the LBK with wort, I placed it in my cooler to ferment for 3 weeks.  I did not check on the fermentation because I did not want to perv the wort.  A watched LBK does not ferment.

When I opened the cooler to remove the LBK, there was a little bit of beer in the bottom of the cooler and a science experiment within the cooler.  There was a bunch of mold inside and outside of cap.  I sanitized the spigot.

I decided to bottle the batch.  I ended up with 18 bottles.

When I disassembled, it did not appear to have mold on the inside, only the outside.  Disassembled and realized it was brewer's error.  I did not tighten the nut enough and did not fully center the spigot on the hole.

I've washed the equipment once tonight and will wash again in a day or so.

Error #1:  Incorrect spigot assembly.  Will make sure the next batch is locked in tight and centered.

Error #2:  Did not put enough water in the LBK when testing the spigot.  2+ gallons next time.

My big question:  DID I HARM MY PRECIOUS BEER?

Thanks

Seems that the beer was unharmed, else you'd have fuzzy LBK insides as well.

RDWHAHB!

It more likely that you experienced blowoff from an active fermentation which would spill beer outside the LBK and the kreusen looks like tan "mold" stuck to the bottom of the lid and anywhere it dripped.  This happens to all of us at some point.

Congrats you made beer.

A watched LBK does not ferment.

This is misinformation promoted by RickBeer to prevent "Wort Perving". 

Wort Perving has no effect on active fermentation and in my opinion, may even help. :lol:

Relax, sounds like you made beer.  As long as all of the fuzzys are on the outside and not actually in the beer you will be fine.  I have even heard of people bottling beer from below a layer of mold floating on the surface and it turned out fine.

• Like 1

I had a big blow off on one brew, when noticed cleaned what I could but had some that I did not see. After fermenting and cold crash I went to bottle and saw MOLD around the back of LBK and under lip of lid, had none in the LBK so all was well and the beer came out just fine. I use a pan under my LBKs to catch any and "all" spills to help keep the fermentation chamber clean (mini fridge), but __it happens!

I doubt it will happen but I wish mr beer would come up with a new tap assembly like on the LX models. I have done everything right and had a couple leaky spigots. Normally during high krausen the leaks stop. I guess trub gets trapped in the gaps. But still, I hate leaky spigots.

My question is why did you not open the cooler for 3 weeks? If you are putting it in the cooler to control temperature then you should have been cycling frozen water bottles. If not I'm guessing the temperature got a little warm.

• Like 1

Cooler was not fully sealed, it was slightly cracked.  The LBK and cooler were sitting in an unused bathtub.  House temp was 68.  I was keeping the LBK away from curious children and out of direct sunlight.

House temp is ok, however, during the first 1-3 days of fermentation the wort temp can get from 5-8 degrees higher than ambient temp. It could have gotten as high as 76 degrees in the LBK. While that is not horrible, there is a chance that you may get some off flavors in your beer due to the higher temps. Depending upon the yeast that you use, the ideal temp for a Mr Beer batch is in the low to mid 60's (wort temp). Especially during the first 3 days of fermentation.

• Like 1