Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Caffrey

Position of Bottles?

I'm sure when conditioning most people store their bottles in an upright position, but is it OK to store them in an upside down position? Will this negatively affect anything?

Kevin

Storing it upright allows sediment and yeast to settle in the bottom. Allowing it a few days in the refrigerator then hardens those particles and keeps them in the bottom of the bottle when you pour. I always pour slow and leave a drink in the bottle. Not going to lie I always chug that last drink straight out of the bottle though.

• Like 2

Why would you want to store it upside down? :blink:

I suppose you could store upside down to get the trub out with these Brodie cap things...

instructions.png

• Like 1

I was going to post that yeast capture system.  ya beat me to it. The reason the store them upsidedown is, having run out of room to store beer, they fit better in between the couch cushions this way.

• Like 2

Why would you want to store it upside down? :blink:

I don't necessarily want to, but I had these smaller coolers that could fit more than 4 in them if two or three were positioned upside down. To my amateur beer brewing mind, it didn't seem like a smart idea - but just figured I'd get some opinions from others.

• Like 1

Here's CraigTube testing out the Brodie product...  (gotta love CraigTube)

• Like 1

It reminds me of the "methode de champenoise", which is the process used in making bottle-conditioned Champagne and sparkling wine. They stack the crown capped bottles upside down in what's called a "riddling rack" to allow the yeast to collect in the neck of the bottle. Then they will rapidly freeze the neck to allow the sediment to pop out in a frozen plug form. Then they quickly cork it. It's a pretty interesting process.

• Like 2