Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
swenocha

Interesting discovery... call for suggestions

A few years ago (2012, I think), I won a massive prize from Mr. B right after the Coopers buyout when they were introducing new ingredients.  I won one of each HME, one of each fruit, one of each hop, one of each yeast, one of each LME/DME, etc.  Essentially one of each ingredient offered on the website.  They also sent me a bunch of equipment...  Seven LBKs, fourteen sets of bottles/caps, bunches of sanitizer packs, etc.  It was a crazy prize, and I thank Mr. B for that. 

I long ago used or gave away this, and I thought these ingredients were long gone, but I recently realized that I have one can hidden in the back of my brew closet.  Looked at the expiration?  Sept 2015 (though I would have brewed it even if it was 2013).  I guess I have an Oktoberfest HME brewday ahead of me.  

Hmm...  what to do with this one?  I solicit opinion on ideas for this.  I've done this one straight up (with a lager yeast) before, and thought it was quite good.  Anyone done anything fun with this extract?  I'm open to a partial mash, a grain steep, or whatever.  

Give me your thoughts and I'll weigh my options...  I plan to stop at the LHBS on Friday and will likely brew on Sunday.

BTW, here are pics from my contest winnings.  This was crazy to see delivered, and I ended up giving the UPS guy a gift of a sixer of homebrew for Christmas that year for his troubles.

19114702882_97fd4099e9_o_d.jpg

19114706512_03a4c2bc18_o_d.jpg

• Like 5

Wow what did you do to win exactly?

If I were you I would steep 2 oz of all 10 - 12 smoked malts at your LHBS and find out what a meta smoked oktoberfest would be like.

• Like 2

Just brewed this up on Saturday.  Nothing fancy, but should produce a nice, malty Oktoberfest-ish ale.  I have read where people have had good luck with the 2565 fermenting in the 50s/60s getting good results.

850g MB Oktoberfest HME

3# Briess Munich LME

6oz Caramel 45 & 2oz Carapils steep

0.5oz Mt Hood 20min boil

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast

• Like 1

Outside of an LHBS visit, I should also mention the ingredients I have on hand...

1 Octoberfest HME

0.5 lb  flaked corn

0.33 oz Perle hops

0.66 oz Simcoe hops

0.3 oz Centennial hops

0.5 oz Northern Brewer hops

0.5 oz Warrior hops

0.5 oz Tennang hops

reharvested Southyeast HS2 yeast 

reharvested Wyeast 2565 Kölsch yeast

reharvested Wyeast 1968 London ESB yeast

reharvested Conan yeast

I would use the Oktoberfest with the Perle and maybe Tettnang hops with the Kolsch yeast for a nice and simple German Kolsch style beer.

Or maybe the Oktoberfest with the Northern Brewer and the London ESB yeast for an English Mild style beer.

I'd save the Centennial, Warrior, and Simcoe for a higher ABV, hop-forward beer.

• Like 2

That's definitely where I'm leaning, unless someone comes in with something different they liked with the o-fest extract.  I may grab some grains to mini-mash (I believe I did an old Mr. B o-fest with Munich LME, which worked fine, but I'm more likely to go with grains).  I am tossing around mixing it up with the HS2 yeast, but the Kölsch yeast is definitely the one that makes the most sense.  HS2 is a wild yeast harvested from Tennessee honeysuckle grown at Blackberry Farms in the Smoky Mountains.  I last used it in a brown ale with some Brett and it was quite good.  Some pepper, some red wine.  Would be totally not o-fest like if I go that way...

Side note...  if you get a chance to try Blackberry Farms beers (or have the $$$ to stay at Blackberry Farms resort), definitely go for it.   ;)

• Like 1

I agree, use the Oktoberfest HME with Kolsch yeast. I think you need a little more malt too though, maybe 8 oz Pils DME  or grain equivalent (I am not up on my grains).  Or since you have the corn use that.

Corn in Kolsch? Maybe....

http://ryanbrews.blogspot.com/2011/01/corn-lager-and-corn-kolsch.html

BTW great presentation  - you deserved to win.

Looking at that my thought was to include the value of 0 of an item in the set of possibilities of that item where allowed making it only one big computation, but I like yours broken out - it is easy to follow. I have to try my way & see if I get the same answer.

Well, assuming you can make combinations using no hops extra, no LME extra and no booster extra, then that "none" adds 1 to those combinations, making hops (105), LMEs (19) and booster (3) - totaling 9,049,320  a bit higher than your 8,334,900.

Anyway, comment and critique are easy, the original work is the one that deserves credit.

• Like 1

1 lb Vienna grains, steeped in 1 Qt water held at 150 degrees F for 75 minutes
1 can Octoberfest
1 Robust LME (or 1/2# amber DME)

-add 0.33 oz Perle hops for 22 minutes
-add 0.5 oz Tennang hops

Wyeast 2565 yeast

This should make a nice German OktoberKolsch.

:)

• Like 2

Seems like everyone is leaning the same way.  Along the same thinking, here's what I think I might do...

Mini mash consisting of maybe:
2.75 lb German Pilsner malt
1 oz Acidulated malt

mash at 148°F for 45-60 min to hit the beta amylase range
step mash at 162 for 30 min to hit the alpha amylase range

Hop boil:
Perle 0.25oz (60 min)
Tettnang 0.25oz (10 min)

Add Ofest extract

WY2565 yeast

Ferment out at 56, then ramp to 65 for a few days, then crash.

Yep.  Especially if I use Pils malt, I generally have to use a small amount to lower the pH a bit.

• Like 1

FWIW, my Okt'15 turned out real nice. 

4 oz carapils + 4 oz crystal 20 steeped 20 minutes

2/3 lb briess light dme

1 oz Hallertau hops boiled 15 minutes in the above, then discard

Mr B Okt HME

MB yeast

• Like 1

Couldn't you just dilute with distilled water to get the ph lower? I think for Kolsch you don't need that much hardness anyway.

I have done that with local water (which the brew water sites seem to think is suitable for brown ale) and it seemed to make a difference.

I would think you could, but it's plenty simple to throw 4oz per 5 gallon batch of acidulated malt (which generally does the trick for me) into your mash as well.   Plenty of ways to skin the ole cat...  

Generally, I use it in my lagers/festbiers because I want to harden the water a bit based on my water profile (which is pretty soft).  I may or may not do it on this one, but time will tell. 

Are there any recipes using the Warrior hops?