Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeff (Klingdom)

2014 spring dopplebock

I bottled this May 29th. The recipie says to ferment at 55 degrees and condition (2 months) at 55 degrees. Which I have done (temp, not time). I went on an RV trip last weekend and threw one of them in the RV fridge. I figured since its been about a month it would taste okay. After 2 days in the fridge it tasted like butt piss. I know I am a month short but I had a bad experience with my first batch and I've made a personal promise to drink everything I brew, no matter what (unless I get an infected brew or something). So I am nervous I'll have to suffer through drinking butt piss again. I have 2 questions:

1. Has anyone brewed this beer? Did you like it?

2. After another month in the fermentation chamber @ 55 degrees, can I store them at room temp? Or put them in the fridge? Longer than 2 months in the fermentation chamber is not an option. I have more brewing to do.

thanks Brewers!

Brew on!

By the way, I have 96 16 oz bottles conditioning. And none of them are ready, lol. Guess I'll go but some bud light to hold me over, haha

Drinking Bad Light while waiting is a sure way to make sure your beer tastes good - lol.

Butt piss? I'm a Medical Laboratory tech and can tell you what butt piss looks and smells like. Your beer has got to be better than that, however, if you want to send me some bottles I would be willing to give you an honest opinion. ;)

Besides, I could use some more bottles. ^_^

• Like 1

2. Store at room temp, then refrig as normal. Ideally, you would refrig for a while.

Lagers often develop diacetyl, which give them a strong buttery flavor. A diacetyl rest gets rid of it, done during fermentation. If that's what you noticed, it may diminish during warm storage.

I bottled this May 29th. The recipie says to ferment at 55 degrees and condition (2 months) at 55 degrees. Which I have done (temp, not time). I went on an RV trip last weekend and threw one of them in the RV fridge. I figured since its been about a month it would taste okay. After 2 days in the fridge it tasted like butt piss. I know I am a month short but I had a bad experience with my first batch and I've made a personal promise to drink everything I brew, no matter what (unless I get an infected brew or something). So I am nervous I'll have to suffer through drinking butt piss again. I have 2 questions:

1. Has anyone brewed this beer? Did you like it?

2. After another month in the fermentation chamber @ 55 degrees, can I store them at room temp? Or put them in the fridge? Longer than 2 months in the fermentation chamber is not an option. I have more brewing to do.

Did you leave it in the LBK for over a month?  fermentation is the same as for all other beers, when concerning time, 3 weeks.  The only addition would be raising the temp 10 degrees or so for the final 2-3 days (D-rest), prior to bottling.  

I started mine on March 14th... fermented until April 1st at 50 to 55 F.  D-rested two days at 60 - 65 F per recommendations, bottled and carbed for 18 days at 70 F (April 21st).

I then took six of the bottles, put them at about 60F for conditioning and the remaining four went in the fridge at 35F.  

I sampled one on 04/24 - very green tasting (as expected...)

I sampled a cold conditioned one on 05/25 - much more complex, but just a hint of green still

My notes on comparing a cold conditioned one vs a warmer conditioned one on 06/11/15 (2 months after bottling):

Honestly, the cold conditioned bottle, I still get some green in it.  The warm conditioned bottle had better head, better mouth feel, and a more developed taste.  I think I expected a clean crispness from the cold conditioned bottle, but it was not there, at least not any more so than the warmer conditioned bottle.  I have one left in the fridge.  I guess i'll leave it for as many months as I can and see if that changes.

My take away is that lagers take a long time to develop.  Even longer in below 50F.  But, after two months, with about 60F conditioning temps, I like the lager.  It does not have a clean crispness I thought it would, but it does have very good complexity, more so than the other beers i've brewed thus far.  It gives several flavors on a mouthful, that make it unique in my opinion.  

please ignore the white granules next to the ice cold glass of this fine lager, its not cocaine, just a few powder spills frm the undissolved DME I sneazed out! or cud have been the overly boosted booster...............

btw jeff, yes its been 2 months in the bottle for mine and still not where it should be, these seasonals are definitely a progress in progress, be patient it will be just poifect! twust me!

Thanks for the help guys. I fermented for 3 weeks at 55. And have conditioned at 55 for almost 30 days. After reading your comments, am I good to set out at room temp for 1-2 months?

oh yea, I put my bottles in the available closet that's got the room, temp probably runs around 75 maybe? I keep it out of the light as much as possible, helps the age process in my opinion.

Thanks for the help guys. I fermented for 3 weeks at 55. And have conditioned at 55 for almost 30 days. After reading your comments, am I good to set out at room temp for 1-2 months?

yes, you can always go back to room temp.  

I just want to specify that the recipie says to condition at 55. This is the 2014 spring dopplebock that uses the salflager 23. Good at 51-59 degrees. You all still say I can bottle condition at 70?

The online instructions say to ferment and to carbonate "cool". Ferment at 55F, everyone will agree. Carbing at 55 will take longer than the usual two weeks.

You can condition cold, but it'll double the conditioning time. And from my very limited experience the benefit is not there over 65 to 70 degree conditioning.

yMMV.