Mr.Beer Community
Zoot Horn Rollo

Carb drops not dissolving completely

Last night I bottled two batches: Howling Red and Jamaica Mon. Everything looked and tasted good to go. When I bottled, I added 2 drops to each of the 740 ml bottles and filled 'em up. As I was tightening the caps and doing a gentle up ending of the bottles, I noticed that most of the time the carbo drops were stuck in the bottom ridges. I'm wondering if I should do another up ending today to ensure that the sugar has been evenly dispersed through out the bottles or does it matter? Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

Best, Zoot

Thanks Squeegee3. I was thinking about upending the bottles one more time but, I suppose that could possibly aerate the beer, which I know is no good for the carbing or conditioning of my brew.

Best, Zoot

It won't aerate the beer if the bottles are closed.

Yeah, when I use the carb drops, I slowly rotate them twice a day for the first 3-4 days, to help dissolve the tabs and to distribute the sugar better, even though it may not be necessary.

• Like 1

I did not favor the drops after the first batch ever made. My beer CAL came out ok but after studying, most here use cane table sugar or cubes.

I knew it would get better.

I use Dextrose corn sugar powder many problems solved.

Cheers

No need to upend the bottles or agitate. The yeast and time will consume the sugars. 

I've used the drops, I've individually primed, I've batch-primed.

So far, all have worked well, & none seem to be superior to the other, IMHO.

ive always dropped them in then filled.  after a day or so I gently upend and restore to position and they never failed me. I use sugar cubes now... way cheaper.

• Like 1

I've taken to placing the carb drops after filling. I've not had a problem yet.

That's what I have started doing (but with sugar cubes).

look at the sugar cube box. it should have a nutrition info panel.  it will say something like this for example:   per serving:  sucrose  2grams.  serving size - 1 cube.

then I use a priming sugar calculator.. plug in the style... plug in the bottle size...  tada.   if it says something like use 3.8 grams per bottle I just drop in 2 cubes ... if it says use 4.3 grams I use 2 cubes.

the rounding up or down really doesn't impact things that much.

Any pointers on the best calculator for individual priming (by the bottle)?   Most of them I can find give the calculations by th gallon which seems more useful for batch priming.  Haven't quite worked up to that just yet since I typically bottle directly from my LBK.

Any pointers on the best calculator for individual priming (by the bottle)?   Most of them I can find give the calculations by th gallon which seems more useful for batch priming.  Haven't quite worked up to that just yet since I typically bottle directly from my LBK

As Rick stated try screwybrewer / Northernbrewer has a good calculator.  But as soon as you can I would suggest investing in that ultra expensive $10.00 LBK.  I would suggest having a total of 3.  That way you can start a second brew and have the other for a bottling bucket.

The Ultra Expensive was sarcasm for you mods!

Any pointers on the best calculator for individual priming (by the bottle)?   Most of them I can find give the calculations by th gallon which seems more useful for batch priming.  Haven't quite worked up to that just yet since I typically bottle directly from my LBK.

I don't know if you've seen this chart or not but it's what I use, it makes it pretty simple for bottle priming.

I use the sugar cubes that equal 1/2 teaspoon or if I don't have any of them, then just normal table sugar, as others have already said.sugar.png

• Like 1