Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mafifer

No Rinse vs. Oxiclean Free

So my local Target has a 3 lb tub of Oxiclean Free on sale this week for 6.59 which is considerably cheaper than the 1 lb tubs of no-rinse on the Mr. Beer site.  To this point, having only used the No Rinse cleanser, I was just curious if Oxi Free is essentially the same?  I know other people mention they use it, I was just curious if this was more of a preferential choice rather than a beneficial one?  

Oxiclean Free is laundry detergent. No rinse is a NO RINSE sanitizer which can be used as a cleaner at 2x strength but must then be rinsed to remove the dirt.

• Like 2

Oxiclean Free is laundry detergent. No rinse is a NO RINSE sanitizer which can be used as a cleaner at 2x strength but must then be rinsed to remove the dirt.

I understand OF is a laundry detergent but I have read that some people use that.  Are they using it just to clean the bottles, then still use the sanitizer after?  

I understand OF is a laundry detergent but I have read that some people use that.  Are they using it just to clean the bottles, then still use the sanitizer after?  

No, they use it as a cleanser because using scented soaps can leave a residue that can create soapy off-flavors, prevent fermentation, or prevent head-retention and/or carbonation. While the No-Rinse and Oxiclean do share the same percarbonate base, Oxiclean has added detergents that should be rinsed, therefore it can't be used as a sanitizer (rinsing defeats the purpose of sanitizing).

• Like 3

So...  use the Oxyclean Free to clean the equipment after you bottle, but then use the no rinse sanitizer on the equipment/fermenters/etc. when you start your next batch.

So...  use the Oxyclean Free to clean the equipment after you bottle

I give empty bottles that have been sitting around a while a cleaning before sanitizing come bottling-day, it would be great for that as well. 

Plus, If you have any bottles that need the label removed, you can use the solution one more time, all in the same day.

Apparently, I pinch a nickel so tightly, the buffalo poops.