Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
syncman

Storage crate

The bottom of all my PET bottles "blow out" with carbonation and wont stand up. What crates do u guys use to store your bottles? The 500ml ones. 16 bottles per 2 gal brew.

That may mean that you are overcarbonating and/or you are bottling too soon (before the fermentation process is complete) and the yeasties have too much sugar to party with in the bottle. So, I wouldn't be focused on storage as much as process, as the PET bottles doing this is abnormal.

So, questions...

- How much sugar are you using for carbonation?

- How long (and at what temps) are you fermenting?  Are you sure fermentation is complete?

- What temps are you storing your bottled beer?

• Like 2

Right.  I've never had a PET bottle do that, clearly either too much sugar or premature bottling.

• Like 1

3 weeks in the keg, 1 mr beer drop per bottle. 3 weeks carb before use. temps 65-75. Stored in my basement. maybe as high as 78 in Summer. Would still like some crates to store my beer. What would be a good option. its impossible to find crates with dividers.

1/2 liter bottles - 1 drop - should be fine.  

People use plastic milk crates, no dividers.  Cut cardboard to make dividers?

I have the original cardboard box my 1/2 liter bottles came in, top divides it into quarters.

OK, new guy here, so let's see if I've been paying attention.

Syncman's bottles are overcarbonated, but he has used the appropriate number of carb drops for the size bottle he is using.

Either:

Too much of the three week fermenting period was spent at the 65 to 68 degree portion of the temperature range he mentioned, which could have been determined pre-bottling by tasting a sample to check for remaining sweetness, or testing the beer with a hydrometer for 3 days in a row for the same FG,

Or: Too much of the initial bottle conditioning period was spent at a very high temperature (well over 76 I would guess?) and the rapid yeast growth caused overcarbonation of the bottles?

From what I am reading, I am disinclined to believe the latter, as the carb drops are fairly consistent in size, and the yeast should produce a consistent amount of carbonation total from that size carb drop, regardless of the speed at which it carbonates. No?

So, syncman, was the wort/beer still sweet when you bottled it, or did it just taste like regular flat beer?

--

1 LBK: Classic American Light brewed 6/10

Waiting 3 weeks to bottle.

I spend all of my fermenting period at 65 or below, so IMHO there isn't a "too much" of the fermentation in that range.  Otherwise I think you're spot on.  I'm guessing that, for a reason I cannot surmise yet (based on the currently available information), his bottles are getting too much carbonation.  If he's only using one carb drop, and that is the prescribed amount (I don't bottle condition and have never used them, but I assume it is), then the next likely culprit is a not-yet-completed fermentation, leaving fermentable sugars in the wort still at the time of bottling.  Andre's question is what I would go with now as well...  was the wort still sweet at bottling?  Also, does the beer taste overly fizzy? 

Of course, an $8 hydrometer (the best low-cost investment you can make to improve your brewing fortunes, right up there with temperature strips) will tell you the answer to that without the guesswork.  

And another option still is sanitation.  If a wild yeast or bacteria is getting into the bottles that can eat the sugars in the wort that the yeasts find non-fermentable, this could also cause over-carb and bottle swelling.

I suppose the other option is that it is a defective set of bottles.  Are these Mr. B PETs, or of some other origin?  

Unless he is getting random weird infections.

*EDIT* I see swenocha covered that already...

Edited by slym2none

Swenocha, the standard Mr. Beer ale yeast packet is supposed to ferment best between 68 and 76 or so the instructions say. Do you find three weeks at temperatures as low as 65 are still giving you a complete fermentation in that time period?

Also I have seen this $8 figure thrown around several times. It seems this is probably by people who have bought the hydrometer at some time in the past. Mr. Beer's hydrometer and sample tube are now available for $5.99, eliminating two more reasons not to throw one on your next order.

--

1 LBK: Classic American Light brewed 6/10

Waiting 3 weeks to bottle.

• Like 1

Yes.  65 is fine.  

Right, because they switched to a plastic hydrometer, which in addition to be cheaper means it doesn't try to commit suicide like glass ones do.

It depends on the yeast, of course, but I use a controller and set anywhere from 58-65 for my ales.  My latest Kolsch rocked at 58 (temp at the recommendation of a pro brewer friend).  In the case of Fromunda, I've had complete fermentations in 10 days or so sitting at 65.  YMMV.

*redacted*

I must have been drunk... carry on, nothing to see here.

Edited by slym2none

I have to put this into the equation.  The OP may have badly cast bottles. I have 2 bottles out of 2 cases that have had this happen.  So there was something different about the 2 bottles all other things being equal that caused them to get droopy drawers.

These are the MR Beer PET bottles, never used plain sugar. Dont have a temp controlled environment. The house is set at 78, and basement ground level is about 76 max. Just started putting kegs in a cooler box with frozen water bottles. Not very precise.  Brewed about 15 batches with 3 kegs and beer never saeemed "bad" tasting. Will buy hydrometer as next step. Pretty much all 48 bottles are rounded bottoms. Have a few A&W root beer bottles that work and taste fine. 16 bottles fill a milk crate just fine thamks. Will make some dividers today.

I just have my 11 750mL bottles sitting in the plastic tub where all young beer goes to carbonate. I hadn't really thought about transport and/or storage - I have to take 5 of them to my brew-bro, since he funded the venture (the Helluva IPA).

The bottom of all my PET bottles "blow out" with carbonation and wont stand up. What crates do u guys use to store your bottles? The 500ml ones. 16 bottles per 2 gal brew.

I bottled my first 3 batches in the Mr. Beer PET bottles and never had this problem.  I would bet that the yeast were not finished with the fermentation when you bottled.  A hydrometer or even a simple taste test could help determine if fermentation is done. 

I now have a capper and I switched to 12 oz. glass.  I prefer glass to the PET bottles because they are more durable (excluding accidents with gravity), easy to clean, and there is less of a chance that a cap will leak.

I'm curious as to how much reuse these bottles have had.  I know way back when I was using plastic (which was a long, long time ago), I remember the plastic getting funky after a handful of uses...  kinda like it was splitting into layers.  Not sure if the OP was using new bottles, or how many times they had been used if he was reusing bottles.