Mr.Beer Community
nsmelton42

new recipe

I am starting my second batch and would like any input on the recipe.  I have been looking at the Diablo IPA and that seems to be the one I am leaning toward buying.  I am just curious if I should add a LME package? If so what flavor, Robust, Pale, etc.  Or possibly the booster. Not sure exactly what it all does except what I have read about. Thanks for any help. It is greately appreciated.

LME or DME add malt to the wort and thus increase the ABV.  Of course, if malt is added, the hop bitterness and flavor is lower than the original recipe (i.e., with an IPA like this, you may need to add additional hops if too much malt is added to balance the sweetness in the extract).  Booster, similarly, adds ABV, but doesn't add the flavor/complexity of malt extracts.  It's kind of up to you if you want these type of adjustments...  your beer, your decision.  I will say that you may want to brew it straight up first to know if you like it as is and then make adjustments on the next pass.  But, again...  your call.

If you do decide to add an extract, you may want to consider this recipe...

Thanks for the help. I've drank a lot of beer since I've moved to western NC, but not brewed much. I like almost anything IPA. But was looking for something a tad stouter than 5%. However I am new to this and if the Diablo still tastes good at 5% I'll leave it be. That's the only thing I was curious about, mainly with the booster if it would still taste just as good but add another percent possibly. Thank you guys for the help. I may leave it straight since I am still tinkering with fermentation times and bottling times, my last batch wasn't the greatest. Drinkable just flat.

The point of the Booster is to do just that...  add a percent with little flavor changes.  If used in small proportions, it's fine.  But if used with the basic extracts, it can lead to cidery off-flavors.

A few questions....

- What temp are you pitching your yeast at?

- How long are you fermenting?

- What temps are you fermenting at?

- How much sugar are you using in your bottles?

- How long are you bottle conditioning?

- At what temps are you bottle conditioning?

Recommendations:

- Pitch yeast at 80 degrees or cooler

- Ferment for 2-3 weeks (unless you have a hydrometer to test things)

- Ferment at 65-68 degrees

- Use the recommendations of Mr. B on sugar amounts (though many think they are a bit high)

- Bottle condition for 4 weeks or so 

- Bottle condition at room temps, only putting the bottles in the fridge after the four weeks (assuming the plastic bottles are rock hard...  if not rock hard, leave them out of the fridge longer)

The most important things to control in brewing are time, temp, and cleanliness.  

• Like 3

If you like IPAs and get the Diablo, I would recommend adding more hops for aroma.

I added 1 oz Cascade pellets in sterilized bag for last 7 days of the 3 weeks in LBK before bottling. Was a big improvement for me. You might prefer other hops.

Thanks for the help. I've drank a lot of beer since I've moved to western NC, but not brewed much. I like almost anything IPA. But was looking for something a tad stouter than 5%. However I am new to this and if the Diablo still tastes good at 5% I'll leave it be. That's the only thing I was curious about, mainly with the booster if it would still taste just as good but add another percent possibly. Thank you guys for the help. I may leave it straight since I am still tinkering with fermentation times and bottling times, my last batch wasn't the greatest. Drinkable just flat.

Add a Pale LME/DME and a 1/2 oz of your choice of hops for a 6.5% IPA with a nice malt backbone and hop flavor/aroma. Better yet, use a Golden LME instead of Pale for some nice head retention. I like to dry-hop all of my IPAs with a 1/2oz of hops, too.  :)

In regards to carbonation, if it's below 70 degrees, simply leave it out longer. Usually an extra week or 2. As long as the yeast is still viable and you've added the correct amount of sugar, it WILL carbonate given enough time.