Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JohnL600

Types of yeast

Can I assume that when a kit says Pilsner that it is a lager yeast?

Sometimes the kits don't say what kind of yeast is used and the description doesn't tell me much.

Right now I have two weeks in the keg with the Czech Pilsner. Then next one ion my list is the Aztec Mexican Cerveza. Is that also a lager yeast?

If I were to get an Ale next would the temp requirements be any different? 

I would like to try an Ale next but I'm unsure of the temps. 

Hopefully this batch won't be to bad because I have had some fluctuations. I hit a low of 55 and for a short time a high of 68. Most of the time it's been in the 58 - 62 range.  

My plan is to do 3-2-1. Keg-bottle-frig. Does that sound about right for the kind that I'm doing?

Thanks for any help...

John

All Mr. Beer kits are ALEs, unless it says lager. 58 is too low. Mid 60s.

Never heard of 3-2-1. We recommend 3 weeks fermenting at mid 60s, 4 weeks in bottles at 70 or higher, and at least 3 days in the fridge.

• Like 2

Can I assume that when a kit says Pilsner that it is a lager yeast?

Sometimes the kits don't say what kind of yeast is used and the description doesn't tell me much.

Right now I have two weeks in the keg with the Czech Pilsner. Then next one ion my list is the Aztec Mexican Cerveza. Is that also a lager yeast?

If I were to get an Ale next would the temp requirements be any different? 

I would like to try an Ale next but I'm unsure of the temps. 

Hopefully this batch won't be to bad because I have had some fluctuations. I hit a low of 55 and for a short time a high of 68. Most of the time it's been in the 58 - 62 range.  

My plan is to do 3-2-1. Keg-bottle-frig. Does that sound about right for the kind that I'm doing?

Thanks for any help...

John

I definitely suggest reading some of the links in RickBeer's signature. Especially "New Brewer? Read This. No kidding. READ IT!"  I lurked on the forums here and read as much as I could for a few weeks before I brewed my first batch. It helped a lot and answered many questions before I even thought to ask them. Even so, I still made mistakes in my first few batches. But those ended up being learning experiences. Brew on. Make mistakes. Drink your mistakes (no one has made a fatal batch of beer yet). That's how you learn, apart from reading. The search function is your friend. Definitely share your experiences with us, we're one big dysfunctional beer loving family! :lol:  :huh:  :P

Just to clarify a little further, all the standard refills come with ale yeast. Even the ones that have lager in the name. Oktober fest lager and American lager for example. Many of the recipes however come with different yeast types that are listed with what the kit includes

One thing I've discovered with the Pilsner and Cerveza is that after four to five months conditioning they dramatically take on a different character.  The beers become much fuller in body and flavor and are far superior to what they are after only four weeks.  In fact, I prefer a four month Mr. Beer Pilsner to any all grain or extract Pilsner I've made.  It's that good with a little aging.

None of our kits come with lager yeast unless it is part of a "Recipe Kit" that calls for a lager yeast. We do, however, have lager yeasts available for purchase if you wish to make your beer into a true lager.

imo lager yeasts are nothing but snooty high maintenance divas. give me a good ole ale yeast any day.

• Like 2