Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sdrake

4th of July BOGO Sale

2 for the price of 1 sounds good on the surface, but I prefer to make a different beer each time rather than the same recipe again.  So, I'm not overly thrilled about the 4th of July sale as I'd prefer "Buy one, get equal or lesser priced free" rather than BOGO.

So my question...  Anyone have any suggestions about the modifying a BOGO so that the 2nd batch isn't a repeat of the first batch?  I'd love to see recommendations while pointing out specific recipes.

FYI...  Opportunity to get Novacaine at 50% off the 2nd one.

Anyone in the Phoenix area want to split a BOGO order so we each take 1 of each?

I placed an order for the Wild Wheat before reading the forums or community site. I thought putting one kit in the shopping cart would ship two but then I read an email after stating I had to put two kits in the cart. If it's the put two kits in the cart, I didn't see it on the web site.

I started a customer support ticket but the reply said someone would contact me by July 5th. I'd just like to know if I'm getting one or two kits before the order ships.

sabres032,

Last fall I submitted an order literally 2 minutes before an email came out for a "free shipping" special.  I emailed them and they were nice enough to remove the shipping from my order.

• Like 1

I was turned off by this sell. It just seems like it is an attempt to sell "about to expire" inventory items. Can you request with a general order to not get supplies that are about to expire? Almost every recipie I order seems to expire in Less that 3 months. Aging HMEs cause darker colors than advertised as stated on these forums before.

Before I get bashed, I love Mr Beer. This has really been my only concern since I have been a member.

• Like 1

I was turned off by this sell. It just seems like it is an attempt to sell "about to expire" inventory items. Can you request with a general order to not get supplies that are about to expire? Almost every recipie I order seems to expire in Less that 3 months. Aging HMEs cause darker colors than advertised as stated on these forums before.

Before I get bashed, I love Mr Beer. This has really been my only concern since I have been a member.

I had the same experience with the sale back in March.  I ordered (I think) 5 recipes and 2 of them arrived with HME cans that had only a few months left until the date on the cans.  It forced me to brew the batches in a different order than I intended.

But look at it from a different perspective...  If the Mr. Beer inventory was all product with 12 months of more remaining, there would probably be fewer sales.  Perhaps the sales are driven by the need to move inventory.  Sometimes (including the current 4th of July sale) they do tell you that the dates are coming soon.

I don't mind as much if I buy a recipe on sale with a short time remaining as I sort of expect it, I do get really disappointed if I buy something at full price and it has the same short time remaining.  But that hasn't happened in awhile as I've been trained by frequent sales to only buy during sales.  It's just a matter of keeping a small inventory or recipes with the expectation of brewing soon after receiving a shipment of recipes.

Josh has commented on the forum before that the extract can be used up to 1 year after expiration, then 'you may experience a darkening of your beer'.

• Like 1

Of course they are going to sell their old stock first. They're still a business. If there is a problem, they will definitely make it right. Personally, I'd like to get a deal on an extract that might expire soon as that allows me to get more for brewing.

• Like 1

Come on guys.  It's not like it's the law that a company has to have a sale every major holiday.  They are being creative and offering discounts at the same time (which is exactly what July 4th is about).

• Like 2

I just wish the local t.v. cable company sales rep were as honest as mr. beer sales reps. I guess I can't have it all

• Like 2

i'm always broke when there are sales goin on......

So am I but this one was just to good to pass up. I broke down and put the order on my credit card. Since I picked up an overtime shift last week and working the holiday weekend this week (hello time and a half and holiday pay) I'll have some extra cash next paycheck. I'll just pay extra on my card then. Heck, I even ordered another LBK so I can start brewing big boy batches.

• Like 1

Come on guys.  It's not like it's the law that a company has to have a sale every major holiday.  They are being creative and offering discounts at the same time (which is exactly what July 4th is about).

Ummmm...what school did you go to that taught you the meaning behind the 4th of July was to be creative and offer discounts?  I know when I was a youngster they taught us the meaning was to blow s*** up!  No one ever mentioned anything about creativity to me!

• Like 2

I don't mind doubling up.  I'm trying some of the recipes like Brigid's Blonde and Cole Porter and am going to make the double batch in my big Cooper's fermenter that will handle large batches.  I'm happy for the sale and the opportunity to try some of the recipes.

Whenever they need/want to.  Getting rid of excess inventory, offering a discount in general, free shipping.  There is no predictability.

I started a customer support ticket but the reply said someone would contact me by July 5th. I'd just like to know if I'm getting one or two kits before the order ships.

The ticket will be answered today if it hasn't already. We answer them as we get them. If we're closed, we'll get to the ticket the next morning. If it's a weekend, we'll get to the ticket that Monday morning.

Of course they are going to sell their old stock first. They're still a business. If there is a problem, they will definitely make it right. Personally, I'd like to get a deal on an extract that might expire soon as that allows me to get more for brewing.

Josh has commented on the forum before that the extract can be used up to 1 year after expiration, then 'you may experience a darkening of your beer'.

I would like to clarify that the dates on our refills are NOT "expiration" dates. They're "best by" dates. An expiration date indicates that the product is no longer safe to consume after the specified date. A "best by" date is more of a guideline that gives the recommended date that the product is best consumed by. 

Our malt extracts can last for up to a year or more beyond the "best by" date depending on how they were stored. As mentioned many times here, the malt extract may darken over time, but this will not affect the flavor or quality of the final product in any way. 

Finally, even though we require that the 2 refills must be the same, that doesn't mean you have to make the same beer. Pick up some extra hops. Add Cascade to one and Centennial to the other. Steep some grains in one add honey to the other. Be creative. Isn't that what craft brewing is all about? 

• Like 8

Um, yeah, when will your Octoberfest & BAA HMEs be getting near their "best by" date? (Please don't say around Halloween!)

• Like 1

I would like to clarify that the dates on our refills are NOT "expiration" dates. They're "best by" dates. An expiration date indicates that the product is no longer safe to consume after the specified date. A "best by" date is more of a guideline that gives the recommended date that the product is best consumed by. 

I wish the SWMBO in my house understood the the best by date concept. To her she thinks throw it out a day or 2 the date, such a waste.

Just last night we had enchiladas and I wanted some sour cream. Found an unopened container in the back of the fridge opened it put some on the enchiladas and started eating. She decided to try some but looked at the date which was Feb. 25th 2015, yep it was 4 months out of date. Now granted if I checked the date before I started to eat I wouldn't have tried it, but by that point I had already eaten some and it was fine. She passed, I finished my dinner and am at work today without any adverse reactions.

We americans waste way too much perfectly good food.

• Like 4

The ticket will be answered today if it hasn't already. We answer them as we get them. If we're closed, we'll get to the ticket the next morning. If it's a weekend, we'll get to the ticket that Monday morning.

It was answered this afternoon with a successful resolution. Please thank Renee Wolin from me for her speedy reply and help.

• Like 2

Our malt extracts can last for up to a year or more beyond the "best by" date depending on how they were stored. As mentioned many times here, the malt extract may darken over time, but this will not affect the flavor or quality of the final product in any way. 

Finally, even though we require that the 2 refills must be the same, that doesn't mean you have to make the same beer. Pick up some extra hops. Add Cascade to one and Centennial to the other. Steep some grains in one add honey to the other. Be creative. Isn't that what craft brewing is all about? 

I've always wondered why bottled water has an expiration date...just saying...lol.  Thanks for the clarification Josh.

• Like 1

I wish the SWMBO in my house understood the the best by date concept. To her she thinks throw it out a day or 2 the date, such a waste.

Just last night we had enchiladas and I wanted some sour cream. Found an unopened container in the back of the fridge opened it put some on the enchiladas and started eating. She decided to try some but looked at the date which was Feb. 25th 2015, yep it was 4 months out of date. Now granted if I checked the date before I started to eat I wouldn't have tried it, but by that point I had already eaten some and it was fine. She passed, I finished my dinner and am at work today without any adverse reactions.

We americans waste way too much perfectly good food.

My wife believes that expiration dates are pretty much gospel.  She will not even look at milk if it's even 12:01 the day after it "expires".  She convinces herself it smells/tastes sour and just pours it out. 

I grew up believing that germs (to a certain point) are necessary in order for your body to build immunity.  I throw caution to the wind and unless something looks/smells...just wrong, I will eat/drink it.  The only time I may hesitate or throw something out is with uncooked fresh meat.  Eating that past it's safe point is a surefire battle with botulism and no one wants that!

• Like 2

My wife believes that expiration dates are pretty much gospel.  She will not even look at milk if it's even 12:01 the day after it "expires".  She convinces herself it smells/tastes sour and just pours it out. 

I grew up believing that germs (to a certain point) are necessary in order for your body to build immunity.  I throw caution to the wind and unless something looks/smells...just wrong, I will eat/drink it.  The only time I may hesitate or throw something out is with uncooked fresh meat.  Eating that past it's safe point is a surefire battle with botulism and no one wants that!

My wife does the same thing. Left over food that isn't consumed a day or two after fixing gets thrown out. Such a waste. Unless it's something hidden in the back of the fridge that has green fuzzies growing on it I'll eat it up to 10 days after cooking. Milk four our five days after expiration I'll drink as long as it doesn't taste sour. So far I haven't gotten sick yet.

• Like 2

My wife does the same thing. Left over food that isn't consumed a day or two after fixing gets thrown out. Such a waste. Unless it's something hidden in the back of the fridge that has green fuzzies growing on it I'll eat it up to 10 days after cooking. Milk four our five days after expiration I'll drink as long as it doesn't taste sour. So far I haven't gotten sick yet.

Nor have I.  But I have to fight her over my right to eat "expired" food.  Just last week she threw out some chicken chili I slow cooked like 5 days prior saying it smelled expired!  No...it still smelled like chili powder and cumin, just like it did the day before when we had some for dinner (which we both survived).  Although I will admit that evening I was singing "Tooty Fruity" a lot if you catch my drift...I must have been really off key based on the look on her face :(.  

• Like 5

No...it still smelled like chili powder and cumin, just like it did the day before when we had some for dinner (which we both survived).  Although I will admit that evening I was singing "Tooty Fruity" a lot if you catch my drift...I must have been really off key based on the look on her face :(.

That normal chili, just means the flavors are finally coming together. :)

• Like 1

I feel you guys and your wives attitude toward expired milk.  I'm a biochemist by trade and I can tell you that your nose and taste buds are the indicator to whether or not milk is "bad".  And by bad, I mean isn't "sweet" any longer or has started to change to cottage cheese.  Even "spoiled" milk won't make you ill.... It may make you want to hurl, but that's the taste of it not anything in it that will cause disease.  That said, don't drink directly from the container and your milk will last much longer.  When you drink out of the jug you are introducing bacteria to the container which then rapidly multiply, spoiling the milk.... this type of spoilage can make you sick.

Same practices that we use to keep our wort sanitary should be practiced with your milk.... you wouldn't dip out some wort, take a swig then spit it back into the fermenter, right?   Don't drink from your milk container.

• Like 2

I feel you guys and your wives attitude toward expired milk.  I'm a biochemist by trade and I can tell you that your nose and taste buds are the indicator to whether or not milk is "bad".  And by bad, I mean isn't "sweet" any longer or has started to change to cottage cheese.  Even "spoiled" milk won't make you ill.... It may make you want to hurl, but that's the taste of it not anything in it that will cause disease.  That said, don't drink directly from the container and your milk will last much longer.  When you drink out of the jug you are introducing bacteria to the container which then rapidly multiply, spoiling the milk.... this type of spoilage can make you sick.

Same practices that we use to keep our wort sanitary should be practiced with your milk.... you wouldn't dip out some wort, take a swig then spit it back into the fermenter, right?   Don't drink from your milk container.

Good points about milk. That said, I rarely drink it after the expiration date. It might be bad. :)

Look closely. Cartons or jugs of dairy milk have a "sell by" date on them. That is not an expiration date, that is the date by which the store should have sold the product. Most food safety laws require the milk to be kept at or below 41 degrees Fahrenheit. Dairies have been known to provide stores with posters or signage explaining to the customer that milk kept consistently at 41 degrees or below, even considering the short time in your shopping cart and the trip home to your refrigerator, should last at least 7 days beyond the "sell by" date. In fact, the USDA expects properly handled milk to last 7 to 10 days beyond the sell by date. If you are throwing out milk beyond the "sell by" date, and it does not smell bad or taste bad, you are most likely just wasting milk. That having been said, dairy products, especially milk, should be one of the last things you put in your cart before you leave the store, are best put in one of those insulated fridge/freezer cooler bags if it will be a warm trip or a long trip, and should be one of the first things you put in your refrigerator when you get home, even before most of your frozen food.

2 for the price of 1 sounds good on the surface, but I prefer to make a different beer each time rather than the same recipe again.  So, I'm not overly thrilled about the 4th of July sale as I'd prefer "Buy one, get equal or lesser priced free" rather than BOGO.

So my question...  Anyone have any suggestions about the modifying a BOGO so that the 2nd batch isn't a repeat of the first batch?  I'd love to see recommendations while pointing out specific recipes.

I guess my main question fell by the wayside.

How often does Mr. Beer offer sales/discounts in general?

Seems to be at least 4 times a year, major holidays and other times too. Too frequently I order stuff then there is a sale.

Again remember this is not an "expiry date" - it is a "best used before" date. Same as other foods, my wife will chuck stuff in the fridge beyond its date but I keep it and see how it looks and smells. I actually prefer yogurt a month after the date - it has a better flavor.

I have made it sixty years using the exact same philosophy.

Sorry Josh,

I shouldn't have put expiration. I know full well that those are best by dates. My wife is a chef and she is fastidious about dates, she treats best by dates as expiration dates and that makes me nuts!!! :angry:

• Like 1

I have made it sixty years using the exact same philosophy.

Ok....Ok...I have an idea since we share a common philosophy.  We start a cult that worships beer and "expired food".  When things get too real and the FBI is closing in on our compound, we all suicide by drinking 30 year old cans of Schlitz that have sat out in the dessert sun.  Who's with me?  Praise be to the almighty Hop Lord!

• Like 1

Ok....Ok...I have an idea since we share a common philosophy. We start a cult that worships beer and "expired food". When things get too real and the FBI is closing in on our compound, we all suicide by drinking 30 year old cans of Schlitz that have sat out in the dessert sun. Who's with me? Praise be to the almighty Hop Lord!

There's one in every group, but we love them anyway. ;-p

• Like 2

Ok....Ok...I have an idea since we share a common philosophy.  We start a cult that worships beer and "expired food".  When things get too real and the FBI is closing in on our compound, we all suicide by drinking 30 year old cans of Schlitz that have sat out in the dessert sun.  Who's with me?  Praise be to the almighty Hop Lord!

Most of the Schlitz I have ever drunk tasted like it had been out in the desert sun for 30 years.

Most of the Schlitz I have ever drunk tasted like it had been out in the desert sun for 30 years.

OMG...and you are still alive?  You must be the Hop Lord.  I bow down to you oh great one.  How may I be of service to you?  

• Like 1

The first beer I ever had was a Schlitz.  It was my father's beer of choice, and he drank a lot of the stuff over the years.  Therefore, it was what was available when I was allowed to start drinking at 16.  Somehow, I managed to survive.   ;)

• Like 1

OMG...and you are still alive?  You must be the Hop Lord.  I bow down to you oh great one.  How may I be of service to you?  

You are commanded to brew and imbibe (then repeat).

You are commanded to brew and imbibe (then repeat).

You have more mercy than I, sir. I would have commanded him to send me all of his beer.  :P 

You have more mercy than I, sir. I would have commanded him to send me all of his beer.  :P

If the great Hop Lord would've thus commanded, I would've obliged!  Lucky for me he did not and....the great Hop Lord never changes his mind!

• Like 2