Sign in to follow this  
HoppySmile!

Tangerine Wheat by Lost Coast Brewery

cool zone brewing station In progress

keggle On My New burner

cool zone In progress pic#2

thermostat controller

thermostat In thermowell

got my tangerine wheat goin, looking forward to drink this one! first attempt with the cool zone temp controller

if it turns out as good as it smelled brewed i'll definitely post the recipe, its basically a summer wheat recipe with additional crystal 10L and tangerine peel added. its been 2 1/2 hrs since it turned the temp controller on, began at about 84 degrees and now its sittin at 68. I did add sum carapils too. ill be pleased if it comes out half the taste of what Lost Coast Brewery puts out with their tangerine wheat

I made a CAL recipe with Columbus hops. It had a floral tangerine taste to it. Maybe that'll help.

• Like 1

I thot maybe itll use a lot of ice, and when I set the temp at my preferred state, 68, it would rise above to 70 before turning the pump on to lower the degree. so i'm learning how this works. I set my temp to 66 and it averages out to 68 ha! not a perfect science but sure beats having to put ice bottles in every 8 hrs to keep constant temp. I do have to check the water temp by just putting my hand in the igloo, as long as it at least 20 degrees cooler by touch, I dnt add anymore ice. I check this about 10 hrs?

Your setup is similar to what I want to try. I was installing a liquid cooled CPU processor for a friend and I got it into my head I could apply that to a fermentation vessel.

• Like 1

my lil brother is into gaming and installed a cooler for his processor, then proceeds to tell me all about it p.c. lingo, I have not clue what he was talking about

HAHA... Ya, but this guy gave me a lot of work when I use to fix computers. He's one of 5 old customers I still do stuff for on the side....Plus his sister is hot.

• Like 2

Coolers will get heat away but not make it below room temperature unless you have a Peltier effect one or something special you have to apply electric power to other than the fan.

What kind did you use - and was it effective?

well squeegee, so far i'm liking the Cool Zone temp kit. instead of buying pounds of ice, I've drained the water lvl down to about 2-3 gal of water in the cooler and added frozen water bottles to keep the water temp consistent, and not filling the cooler with more water just to drain out again. so i'm learning as I go. but i'm liking the effect that I can add a few frozen bottles to the water, then go work my shift, come home and everythings just fine. the only thing I have to worry about is tornado season is upon  this state, and I cud lose power....

What does the portion of food that a ruminant returns from the first stomach to the mouth to chew a second time have to do with you losing power?

TANGERINE WHEAT-------------

Fermentables:  6 lbs wheat liquid malt extract, 2 lbs extra light DME                                                                                                                            Specialty Grains: 8 oz. flaked wheat, 8 oz. flaked oats, 4 oz crystal malt 10L, 4 oz carapils, 4 oz of fresh wild oats.                                                                                    Hops: ½ oz of cluster hops                                                                                                Yeast: Safbrew WB-06 dry yeast    Flavoring: 3 drams of tangerine oil, one 8 oz tangerine extract, 3 pkges of dried tangerine peel, and added hops for a more citrus flavor-falconer’s flight/cascade/glacier-1/2 oz each                                                                                                                                                                    this is a 5 gallon recipe                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            heat 2.5 gallons of water between 150 degrees to 160, place combined grains  bag into the brew pot. Steep for 20 minutes. Remove bag and place into a strainer to allow excess liquid to drain into pot. Bring wort to a boil, then remove from heat, add all fermentables and stir thoroughly so nothing is stuck to bottom of pot. Return wort to a boil then add cluster hops in hop sack and continue to boil for 60 minutes. After 60 minutes of boil time, remove from heat and cool down to 70 degrees. Take O.G. reading before pouring into carboy/LBK’s, projected reading O.G. 1.044, F.G. 1.01, abv% 4.5. I  added additional boosters to up the abv, boiled in separate pan and added when fermentables were dissolved.  Primary fermentation temp: 64-72 degrees, my average was 68. Recipe calls for about 2 weeks fermentation, I allowed 4 weeks, but again depends on the F.G. reading too. I put this into a secondary to smooth out the flavor a bit. I added the first week 2nd fermentation, one dram of tangerine oil, and one package of dried tangerine peel directly into the fermenter ( not using the hop sack). 2nd week I added the combined hops in a hop sack and left for only 3 days then removed. 3rd week I added remaining tangerine oil, extract and peel directly into fermenter ( stirred everytime I added directly).                  

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2015 at 9:35 PM, HoppySmile! said:

TANGERINE WHEAT-------------

Fermentables:  6 lbs wheat liquid malt extract, 2 lbs extra light DME                                                                                                                            Specialty Grains: 8 oz. flaked wheat, 8 oz. flaked oats, 4 oz crystal malt 10L, 4 oz carapils, 4 oz of fresh wild oats.                                                                                    Hops: ½ oz of cluster hops                                                                                                Yeast: Safbrew WB-06 dry yeast    Flavoring: 3 drams of tangerine oil, one 8 oz tangerine extract, 3 pkges of dried tangerine peel, and added hops for a more citrus flavor-falconer’s flight/cascade/glacier-1/2 oz each                                                                                                                                                                    this is a 5 gallon recipe                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            heat 2.5 gallons of water between 150 degrees to 160, place combined grains  bag into the brew pot. Steep for 20 minutes. Remove bag and place into a strainer to allow excess liquid to drain into pot. Bring wort to a boil, then remove from heat, add all fermentables and stir thoroughly so nothing is stuck to bottom of pot. Return wort to a boil then add cluster hops in hop sack and continue to boil for 60 minutes. After 60 minutes of boil time, remove from heat and cool down to 70 degrees. Take O.G. reading before pouring into carboy/LBK’s, projected reading O.G. 1.044, F.G. 1.01, abv% 4.5. I  added additional boosters to up the abv, boiled in separate pan and added when fermentables were dissolved.  Primary fermentation temp: 64-72 degrees, my average was 68. Recipe calls for about 2 weeks fermentation, I allowed 4 weeks, but again depends on the F.G. reading too. I put this into a secondary to smooth out the flavor a bit. I added the first week 2nd fermentation, one dram of tangerine oil, and one package of dried tangerine peel directly into the fermenter ( not using the hop sack). 2nd week I added the combined hops in a hop sack and left for only 3 days then removed. 3rd week I added remaining tangerine oil, extract and peel directly into fermenter ( stirred everytime I added directly).                  

my more recent Tangerine blast was made into an IPA, and I think it was much better, the hops blended better with all the tangerine stuff I added