Mr.Beer Community
nsmelton42

Water for brewing

So I am getting ready to start my second batch to brew.  I have the Diablo IPA.  I am just curious with the water.  Should I use sterile water to mix or would tap water work just the same? I live in the city and use city water just not sure if I should buy some sterile water or sterilize my own before mixing. 

If your water taste fine and isn't too heavily chlorinated it will work just fine. I have used city water for all four of my bathches so far and they have turned out fine.

• Like 1

I use city water unless  I want to be like some different special area. I got an analysis of the minerals in my water supply and compared that with the analysis of the water in different beer making regions. You can see if you look at that that certain areas have very hard very soft or somewhere in the middle water. So various places in Europe have soft water so for those beers I dilute my tap water with distilled to get approx. the same mineral %. English bitter is made with water that is quite hard so One could add minerals to get that water style.

But in general, unless it is extreme in some way, your tap water will be fine.

There will be some taste change with water minerals but I have not experimented enough to tell if I am making a significant difference.

Sounds good. Makes it a little easier not having to sterilize anything. I live in Western NC and there is a ton of breweries around here so I'm sure they do not sterilize everything. Could've thought about that before I got on this post. Thank you guys for the help

If you note in the Mr. Beer directions, they tell you to add cold water to the fermenter, then the 4 cups of boiled water to which you added the contents of the can, then more cold water.  The water you add is healthy to drink, so it's healthy to add to your beer.  Sanitizing is done to the equipment, not the water, that you use.  You add ingredients to the 4 cups of boiled water to ensure that the ingredients are free of harmful "things", which are killed by heating them (not boiling, actually around 165).  

With extract brewing, if you can drink your tap water without noting a strong flavor or aroma, you can brew with it.  If you have a strong flavor or aroma, you can brew with it BUT may affect the final product - that's why people with strong chlorine in their water (Florida for example) may choose to use bottled water. 

All grain brewers tend to analyze their water to ensure it matches the water profile they need to brew what they are brewing, and either often have to add things to the water - or use bottled or properly filtered water.

I use really cheap drinking water that has been ionized and filtered, from the grocery store. I put the gallon jugs in the fridge so they will be cold.

Unless you are doing all grain the water that comes out of your tap is fine. Here in Texas some water can be pretty hard which calls for buffers or the use of distilled water and a treatment like accumash. However, it will not hurt for you to use spring water from the store. If you're going to use distilled water then you might want to use a yeast nutrient.

my local tap water (florida) is crap. if you leave it sit out overnight, mold and algae start to form in it. sometimes it reeks of chlorine.  so...  I just buy 79 cent gallon bottles of publix (local grocery chain) mineral water.  I try to get ones from a certain well head stamp on it because they gave me the complete water analysis. full disclosure... I like that.

for me bottled mineral water makes great beer and ive never bothered pre boiling it. I use it for top off... everything.  the only time I pre boil is for washing yeast or making a yeast starter... or rehydrating. 

the bottled water works great on both extract and so far all grain with some mineral additions.

I use only the finest water taken from Antarctica's buried Dry Valley glaciers.  It is brought to the US via scientific core samples.  I then employ a team of ice artisans to make the ice samples into perfectly carved cubes.  These I then store in a special vacuum sealed freezer until they are need.  I won't tell you what I go through to thaw them (a sexy trade secret) but rest easy that you can really taste the difference.

• Like 4