Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
epete28

So many hop varieties!

I've played around with hop additions a little, but I've only used Cascade, which I love by the way, but how the heck can one decide which other types to try? The lady at my LHBS took my in the back to see all the pellet hops she has in stock and it must be over 100! I was like "Holy Crap"! LOL! 

• Like 1

yes, thanks for posting that. I've downloaded it and will have to view it later. I was also looking at other hops to buy and didn't realize there was so many different kinds.

I like the cascade as well.

It covers a lot of screw ups and provides the desired flavor when used properly.

Swenocha: do you have a grain steeping guide as well?

Cheers

I always liked this chart to determine whether a grain could be steeped or mashed (http://brewbeeranddrinkit.com/a-home-brewing-malts-guide/).  There are a few listed there that some debate one way or the other, but it's a pretty good reference in general.  The  https://byo.com/resources/grains chart is a good resource to determine what grains provide what in terms of color and flavor.

• Like 1

Thanks, I am sure this will help many on the learning curve as well.

I am going to write that down.

All the Best

There definitely are a lot. It helps a little that you can divide them into bittering hops and flavor/aroma hops, and only look at the ones that serve the purpose you are interested in when deciding

I harvested about 12 oz of fresh hops from my Dad's backyard this July 4th.  Originally planted in the early 80s I doubt I will be able to identify it but I assume it's a noble hop variety knowing my Dad's original desire to make German lagers.  I was a bit nervous taking them through TSA but they didn't say anything.

• Like 1