Mr.Beer Community
BigSteve

Increase carbonation?

My first two batches were fine.  I just prefer my beer with more of a head and more carbonation.  Is there anything I can do to increase the level of carbonation?

You can up the amount of sugar used to carbonate slightly for more carbonation, just dont overdo it! It will not do much for more head from what I understand tho

• Like 1

Right. To increase head you can learn how to steep some Carafoam or Carapils, or add some wheat LME/DME.

Use Screwy's carbonation calculator to figure how much sugar www.screwybrewer.com

• Like 1

My first two batches were fine.  I just prefer my beer with more of a head and more carbonation.  Is there anything I can do to increase the level of carbonation?

I use 1 Mr. Beer drop per 12 oz. bottle.  The recommended amount is 3/4 of a drop.  I find the carbonation to be perfect with one drop per bottle.

• Like 1

You likely will not get more head by over carbing the beer during condioning.

Hopping the beer while steeping will yield better results and add some proper flavor as well.

Liberty and Cascade hops are forgiving and provide more throf to blow so to speak.

Always condition within the recomended specs of the bottle size, also allow proper time and temperature.

• Like 1

My last several batches I have added DME to. They all came out with a decent head and even some lacing. I am in no way suggesting that the added malt created this, but it's the only thing that I changed.

• Like 2

My first 2 batches had little to no head without a vigorous pour.  Since then I think I've added some DME to every batch and I have always had good carbonation and head.  But it could be that I know what I'm doing now and not so much those first 2 batches.

• Like 1

Batch prime with screwy brewers "bottle priming calculator." You will also need to BATCH PRIME using a bottling bucket.

I like to use carapils for head retention and mouth feel. General consensus for LBK volume is about 4oz steeped at ~154F but no more than 170F for 10-20min in water.

• Like 3

Right. To increase head you can learn how to steep some Carafoam or Carapils, or add some wheat LME/DME.

Use Screwy's carbonation calculator to figure how much sugar www.screwybrewer.com

Since the first two beers that came with my kit, I've brewed 17 beers.  I have decided to experiment with carbonation levels to hopefully get a little creamier mouth feel.  I've used 10 tsp of cane sugar for almost everything I've brewed.  I am not disappointed in any of these brews.  Carb level is good, head retention fair, but I have yet to find one that has a creamy mouth feel, specifically the porters and stouts.  I have looked at screwy brewer and plan on backing off on the amount of cane sugar I will use in the next few batches.  I am not familiar with is the use of carapils and have very limited knowledge of LME/DME usage.  When steeping carapils, is it similar to hops in that once you boil the water, put the carapils in the boiling water and let it steep for 45 minutes then add the fermentables? Also based on stouts and porters, would you use a dark or extra dark DME (like Muntons) when you boil the water?

No, that's not the process.

Heat water to 155.  Steep grains for 30 minutes (pot covered, flame off).  Remove grain bag, let it drain into pot.  Put in LME or DME, bring to boil, proceed as normal.  

I always use pale / light DME, and use the steeping grains for color, etc.

• Like 1

My experimentation has led me to believe that one of the most important things one can do for carbonation, lacing, etc. is to refrigerate for 3 days.

Since this thread  has been woken up again, I figured I'd update.  For the size bottles I use, the instructions say to add 2 sugar drops.  I marked three of the bottles.  I added a half a drop more to one, and a quarter drop more to the other two bottles.  The two with an extra quarter of a drop had ever so slightly more carbonation, but no difference in the head from the rest of the batch.  The bottle with the extra half a drop had a nice head, and exactly the carbonation I was looking for.  I know that is an incredibly small sample size.  But next batch I'll add a half a drop to about 4 or 6 bottles and see how they do. 

No, that's not the process.

Heat water to 155.  Steep grains for 30 minutes (pot covered, flame off).  Remove grain bag, let it drain into pot.  Put in LME or DME, bring to boil, proceed as normal.  

I always use pale / light DME, and use the steeping grains for color, etc.

The light just clicked on... Thanks Rickbeer once again...