Mr.Beer Community
Andre Sebastian Moreno

12,931 topics? vs. Official threads?

Examining this forum software, I don't see a way to put threads within threads.

It might be an interesting idea to create [Official] thread titles

Like:

"[Official]Brewing Equipment"?

Even if that doesn't work out, I kind of cobbled together a list of what official threads might look like, to cover every aspect of brewing from start to finish. At very least it would be interesting to know if I left anything out of the process flow.

Brewing Equipment

Consumable Supplies

Pre-brewing:

Water Amendments/Temperature

Yeast Management/Preparation

Brewing Log

Cleaning

Sanitizing

Sanitary Practices

Boiling

Adjunct Addition(s)

DME/LME Addition(s)

Hop/Flavor/Spice Addition(s)

Post boil HME Additions(s)

Pitching Temperature Control

Wort Mixing

Original Gravity

Wort Aeration

Yeast Pitching

Yeast Aeration

Dry Hopping/Spicing/Fermenter Addition(s)

Wort Infection Monitoring

Fermentation Light Exposure Time and Temperature

Airlock/Venting Management

Wort Temperature Management

Krausen/High Krausen

Flocculation/Trub Settling/Fermenter Tilt

Fermentation Tasting

Final Gravity

Cold Crashing

Batch Priming vs. Bottle Priming

Bottling Spigot vs. Wand

Bottling Sanitization

Carbonation Drops vs. Priming Sugars/Fermentables

Sediment/Trub Management

Bottle Priming Amounts/Fill Levels

Capping and Inversion

Yeast Recovery/Management

Post Fermentation Cleaning

Bottle Carbonation Environment

Post-Carbonation Bottle Conditioning Environment

Pre-consumption Bottle Chilling

I know I left a whole bunch of stuff out about kegging, but Mr Beer doesnt sell kegs, so....

Did I leave anybody's pet step out of the process?

--

1 LBK: Empty (for the moment)

10.5 740ml Amber PET Bottles: Classic American Light brewed 6/10, cold crashed 7/1, bottled 7/3, carbonating until 7/31.

To start, the forums are organized in folders. When you start a topic, you can choose to add tags if you so choose. Those tags could/should be used to facilitate subcategorization within those higher level topics. Plus the search will return results on text within posts.

You have been a busy body like efficiency.

Daytona is getting ready to rock n roll if the rain hold out.

Try to  PM Josh and associates for your start-up ideas.

Lets Make Beer, Cheers

I have been accessing these forums strictly using Chrome on my Android phone. They display in a mobile format, I am starting to get the idea that I may not have access to all of the features available on the desktop version of the website.

• Like 1

Even if the forum was organized with that level of detail, it would only mean that people would post under the wrong topic and then it would become unorganized.

I like the forum as-is.  Topics that are recent are listed first.  If a conversation isn't current, it falls off the first page.  People can search or page back for older stuff.  I see this forum as a casual conversation about making beer and not a highly organized and policed repository of information.

• Like 3

Daytona is getting ready to rock n roll if the rain hold out.

Posted 4 hours early...

Even if the forum was organized with that level of detail, it would only mean that people would post under the wrong topic and then it would become unorganized.

I like the forum as-is.  Topics that are recent are listed first.  If a conversation isn't current, it falls off the first page.  People can search or page back for older stuff.  I see this forum as a casual conversation about making beer and not a highly organized and policed repository of information.

A computer forum I often posted in was organized as proposed, it was a mess of postings in the wrong section, made worse when posts were moved by moderators and then newbs couldn't find them, then made worse when the "geniuses" at the company reorganized into more topics... I left and the company eventually focused more on business than consumer and the forums became a shadow of what they were. Dell has never been the same.

• Like 2

I have been accessing these forums strictly using Chrome on my Android phone. They display in a mobile format, I am starting to get the idea that I may not have access to all of the features available on the desktop version of the website.

Not sure about Chrome on an Android, but I use FireFox on my Android devices and at the bottom of the page is a "Full Version" button.  I click it and it looks like it does on my PC with FF.  That may help it make more sense as you can see which topics/posts are new to you.

Not on Android...  :angry:

Looks may be deceiving.  Do you really get the top bar?

post-57583-0-40091200-1436208523_thumb.j

Not sure about Chrome on an Android, but I use FireFox on my Android devices and at the bottom of the page is a "Full Version" button. I click it and it looks like it does on my PC with FF. That may help it make more sense as you can see which topics/posts are new to you.

Actually you can see which topics or posts are new to you as long as you are logged in to the forum, you cannot do so if you are visiting as a guest. I actually noticed the Full Version link on my own, and now I have an official signature instead of having to cut and paste it into each post, etc. I'm just bent that somehow it appears almost all of the 12931 topics got marked as read, so now I can't keep track of what I have read and what I have not. I'll have to look for a way to reset the forum to unread perhaps?

Andre, I did that once. Kinda sucks, but it isn't really my goal to read each and every thread/post on the site.