Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
SCIA1992

My good luck and and a question????

My family gave me the LBK kit for Father's Day. An hour after getting it, I was in the kitchen making the American Ale that came with it.

Patience is not one of my strong suits, but after mixing the HME with the water, I put the LBK in a cooler and let the yeast do its work.

I was disappointed to learn that it takes so darn long to brew beer. My original plan to brew 2 weeks before bottling and carbonation. I read somewhere that someone popped the bottoms of his bottles, and in the responses I thought I read that 3 a week brew time can make sure the yeast has done its job and minimize the chance of bottle pop out during carbonation. Is this true/necessary?

Now for my good luck. After I got the kit, I took a picture of the kit and immediately posted it on FB with the caption "Now that's a Father's Day present!" One of my "friends" was cleaning house and came across her husband's LBK and bottles. They asked me if I would like to have them. YES! Now what to brew in it? Open to suggestions.

My family gave me the LBK kit for Father's Day. An hour after getting it, I was in the kitchen making the American Ale that came with it.

Patience is not one of my strong suits, but after mixing the HME with the water, I put the LBK in a cooler and let the yeast do its work.

I was disappointed to learn that it takes so darn long to brew beer. My original plan to brew 2 weeks before bottling and carbonation. I read somewhere that someone popped the bottoms of his bottles, and in the responses I thought I read that 3 a week brew time can make sure the yeast has done its job and minimize the chance of bottle pop out during carbonation. Is this true/necessary?

Now for my good luck. After I got the kit, I took a picture of the kit and immediately posted it on FB with the caption "Now that's a Father's Day present!" One of my "friends" was cleaning house and came across her husband's LBK and bottles. They asked me if I would like to have them. YES! Now what to brew in it? Open to suggestions.

If it's on the internets, it gots to be true.

Yes, 3 weeks both guarantees that fermentation is complete AND lets the yeast cleanup after themselves.  

Figure 7 weeks, start to finish, to make a batch.  You're on your way to building a Pipeline032415.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome...

If you want to shortcut the 3 week very-conservative-but-required-if-you-want-to-be-sure timeline is to buy a hydrometer.  There's no hard and fast rule on how fast the yeasties work...  some beers are done in a week, and some in three weeks.  It's a guessing game without this $6 piece of equipment, which is IMHO the best addition you can make to your brewing arsenal.

As for other starting-out suggestions...

• Try not to pitch the yeast above 80 degrees
  • Try not to ferment above 72ish...  I tend to like 65-68
  • Follow all cleaning/sanitizing instructions
  • Ask a lot of questions
  • and, finally...

• Like 1

Ahhh. Good video selections. I laughed out loud when I saw what they were. Thinking about adding a hydrometer to my next purchase. Thank you much.

That 1st batch is SO hard to wait for. I know for a fact that I drank mine too fast. 3 weeks in the LBK and another 4 in the bottle seems so long, but it gets better the more batches you get under your belt. Soon you'll be realizing that its PAST time to drink them! Like "OH WOW, these are READY now"!

• Like 1

The guy who gave me his kit did state that he could not leave his LBK alone and  that he ruined his first and only batch. He never went back. So after the Mrs. comes home, checking about placing an order for another recipe kit and hopefully getting the second batch under way sooner rather than later.

Just to add to the good information already posted - Primary fermentation may be as fast as a week (depending upon temperature, yeast, grains, adjuncts and magic) however, there is still lots going on. The yeast are alive, eating and producing different products as waste (to them). As RickBeer said - figure 7 weeks or so to make a beer.

• Like 1

If you are brewing the American Ale ONLY with no booster or malt added you probably will be done quicker than 3 weeks, but as RickB says - hydrometer makes sure.  Now I used to follow the Mr B instructions and for the simple brews I made initially I did not have ay problem with 2 weeks. But your experience maybe different.

An extra week fermenting gives you time to buy an extra commercial beer of some wild type to see what else you might like to make. :-)