Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Wayne Pecinich

Cold Brewing?

Quick Question regarding the Dopplebock 55deg cold lager process.  How do I maintain this 55 degree temp for the 1-2 month lager time? 

With a refrigerator that has an added temperature controller. It's pretty difficult to maintain those temps without that if you don't live in a cool climate. Welcome to the community, by the way! :)

If you've bought that kit but are realizing you can't maintain those temps, I'd just buy an ale yeast and prepare it at ale temps.  Better to do that then to use the lager yeast and not maintain temps, IMHO.

To be a little more helpful this is the set up I have. I would recommend a small fridge no less than 4cu/ft. Also you will need a temperature controller such as an stc-1000 (pictured below) or a pre built unit for a little more $$$. The way it works is the temperature controller has a probe that you tape to the side of the fermentor (below the liquid level line) and use a small paper towel to insulate it from ambient air. The probe then lets the controller know when it's getting too warm and triggers the fridge to turn on. The fridge is controlled by plugging it into the temperature controller rather than the outlet on your wall.

Home Built Temp Controller

How to Guide

The Controller

Store Bought Controller

Digital Controller

Non Digital Controller

post-65614-0-60308500-1436319342_thumb.j

post-65614-0-89867000-1436319344_thumb.j

Wayne - just wait for "winter" here in NC, I know part of my storage-room will have space for an LBK that I plan on making some sort of lager in.

:)