Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
slym2none

It finally happened!

I had my first over-flow on my LBK, and I didn't even know it! This was from a "washed" batch of yeast (kinda-sorta, but not really washed) that I re-used on an Oktoberfest-style ale that I am using Nottingham on, originally was used in the Blonde I recently bottled. Anyway, I was going to change the ice-bottles in my cooler and noticed the LBK looked different somehow. I got closer and could see where it was wort that apparently overflowed during the yeast taking off. That was DAYS ago, is the thing. The beer is past high krausen now, so should I risk taking the lid off to clean & sanitize it? Or just leave it be and hope for the best?

:(

I'd leave it.  But then I'm fairly new to this deal.  Probably wouldn't hurt to clean the outside, though.

When my LBKs overflowed, I would generally take a towel and some q-tips, dip in sanitizer, remove the lid to clean out the air passages, and then wipe the outside down.  The biggest concern IMHO is if the air vents are blocked by the crusted krausen.

4993882989_1130732a15_z_d.jpg

Yeah, mine looked NOTHING like that, fortunately. I think it was more maybe from the churning-up the wort went through, maybe splashed up a few times and some ran out of the air-passages.

I did clean up the outside (don't want mold-growth or to attract ants) but left the lid alone.

I would do what you did , but also loosen the lid a couple of times to insure that the LBK could breath and tighten the lid  but not seat it. (But that's just me)

I brew a lot of stouts and usually just sanitize an unused tooth brush and clean the vent holes

So, what can I expect when I bottle this beer and pour a RIS brew right on top of this yeast-cake? Something like swenocha's pic?

*LOL*

The Blonde had an active fermentation, but nothing like I have seen US05 do. This minor "hiccup" (burp?) with a little spilled mess is new for me. I might just have to brew during the day and actually watch fermentation take off on this next batch! (BTW - the RIS is Mr. Beer-based, an Irish Stout HME with lots of additional goodies.)

:D

I would do what you did , but also loosen the lid a couple of times to insure that the LBK could breath and tighten the lid  but not seat it. (But that's just me)

The lid already was loosened 1/4 turn from "regular" due to me having heard that Nottingham is a beast.

:)

so far in my experience... notty, us04 and wlp028 (Edinburgh)  are absolute monster yeasts.  I nearly always get blow out and a choo choo train of krausen farting through the blow off tube for a week almost.  since my first us04 volcano I nearly always use a blow off airlock now.

re wlp028...  when I dumped the blow off container it positively stunk of apple juice! lol.... red delicious variety... 

• Like 1

my Big Red One I kept pretty cold for the first 6 days, it got a couple inches of krausen and held....  I then went on vacation and was not able to temp control anymore... ambient is 70 downstairs, so I was hoping the intense heat production was done by then.  All seemed gtg when I checked upon return, it was in a small cooler.  When I relocated it for storing other items in the cooler, there was some liquid at the bottom, looked like syrup..  I presumed it was blowout.  I have one more day before bottling, and taking off the top to further inspect.  we'll see i guess.  

US 05!  FTW!

Most of the brews that I have made including CAL 1st batch had some notable scents when in high Klausen. The coolers are worse but not as polutting to the house.

Notty 0-4 is on my to do list next 2 batches, I like what I have read about the flavor capabilities so far.

All grainer coming along with some more belgian spice!!!!

Cheers

The lid already was loosened 1/4 turn from "regular" due to me having heard that Nottingham is a beast.

:)

Love those little guys. The worst overflow I had was a nottingham + yeast nutrient + yeast energizer (Energized 24 hours after first bubbles.) That strong english ale came out pretty good too. Very clean yeast.

this was a shot i took just before bottling BRO.  There was some blowout I guess..

Lid overflow