Mr.Beer Community
Johnny D

The Not So Magic Wand and the Floater in the Keg

So, word to the wise:  A bottling wand is just that... a wand meant to use whilst bottling.   Even though it is long enough to find the bottom of a 5L mini-keg, one shouldn't just assume it's a good idea to use said wand in such an application.

The tip of the wand came off as I pulled it out of the keg.  It's meant to come apart to clean and the outside ridge of the tip met the inside lip of the keg opening an viola.... the tip is in the keg of Saison where it will stay until December.   I'm just going to blindly assume this will not effect my beer in the least and not one of you will tell me different or I'll cry.  Actually I won't, I'll just drink the beer by myself huddled in the basement after waiting nearly 7 mos to taste it!

Bottling Wands are for Bottles!

Cheers,

Johnny D

• Like 1

I fairly certain that if your wand was properly cleaned/sanitized, you'll be fine here...

5353963184_174dcdde03_o_d.jpg

• Like 1

What a shame you have to drink it down to get your wand bit back .... :o

Is this a Mr Beer or Coopers bottling wand? Is this the older style bottling wand with just the pin valve tip, or is it the newer style bottling wand with the positive shut off spring above the pin valve tip? I'm not sure I would want metal soaking in even a high ABV ferment for a long period of time. There is still enough water to potentially cause rusting I would think? Maybe sanitize a magnetic pickup tool to pick it out? Is it even magnetic?

• Like 1

It has a spring.  I only received the wand in the mail a few days ago.  Not having had one before I don't know if it's the newer or older version.  I'd assume the newer one?

It never occurred to me to us a magnetic retreval tool, one of which I have.... (don't ask, that's a story to be told during a post titled "The Frugal DIYer and the Screwdriver Down the Vent Pipe" post).  

I mean this is a saison and will have to condition until nearly New Year's Eve (which is why I brewed it).  Metal oxidation does require oxygen (won't be any) and moisture (plenty), but if it's gonna rust, it'll have plenty of time.

Do you think this is the route I should go?

Ok, well I didn't wait for a response... I went fishing.

I have a telescopic magnetic retrieval device, but instead of sanitizing it I wrapped it in a plastic bag and sanitized that.   So let me tell you a story...

The keg had decent pressure built up already.  I really started to reconsider this whole charade, but was able to get the bung out... upon when the center portion of the bung popped into the keg... hmmm.  Definitely not getting that out with magnetized anything.

I thought, oh well.... it's supposed to be in the  beer during tapping so it's not going to hurt anything.  More fishing.

Then it occurred to me that I'm bottling the day after tomorrow.... I only have one keg left and one bung and now I have half a bung in my current keg of beer.  I don't live near any brewing stores... I could probably beg on the local home brewers FB page for a spare.... but then I decided on a different route.

I decided to transfer the beer to the unused keg, fish out the parts that had been dropped in this keg, wash it and use it for the bottling/kegging on Saturday.

I transferred the beer without much issue to the second keg.  Decent amount of foaming but not enough to escape the keg.  I added 1/2 t. more sugar to replace the carbonation I had lost... not sure that was needed or necessary... but I did it anyway.  Put in the bung and viola, all's well.

Except..... the wand tip had come apart into it's three separate parts... which it's supposed to.  That's how you clean it.  I rinsed the now dirty keg with warm water.  The black plastic trigger part came out first, really easy.  The spring came out on the next rinse.  The bung piece came out on the next rinse.  Then the plastic housing for the wand.... well, didn't.

This piece is quite a bit longer than the diameter of the bung hole (shaddup).  So, after about 10 rinses it finally came out.

A decent amount of sludge came out of the original keg when I rinsed it, I'm hoping the remainder carb's ok... we'll see.

End of story.... beer's in it's new unsullied home.  I have the required keg and bung to complete my kegging on Saturday.

I think it's time for a beer.

Cheers,

Johnny D

• Like 1

I'm not sure I would want metal soaking in even a high ABV ferment for a long period of time. There is still enough water to potentially cause rusting I would think?

Because of the high Co2 content and lack of oxygen, metal cannot rust in beer.

• Like 1

I only have one keg left and one bung and now I have half a bung in my current keg of beer.  

This piece is quite a bit longer than the diameter of the bung hole (shaddup). 

No TP for my bunghole?  So says the great Cornholio!  Yeah....sorry I am far too childish not to say something here.  All this bung talk made me giddy :)

• Like 4

Because of the high Co2 content and lack of oxygen, metal cannot rust in beer.

Okay, rusting requires oxidation, but I would guess one of the reasons most brewing equipment is stainless steel is its lack of reactivity during the process. Although it is a pretty small spring, I would guess it is spring steel, and might cause leaching of metal if immersed in the wort for a long period of time, what with the pH and all.

I stand corrected. The current production Mr Beer bottling wand for sale on the website does consist of six parts:

1. Adapter tubing

2. Bottling wand tube

3. Bottling wand tip

4. Pin valve spring

5. Pin valve

6. Pin valve O-ring

I missed removing the O-ring off of the pin valve during first sanitization when I bottled my first batch of beer. Let's hope sanitizing the two assembled parts together was sufficient. Now that beer has touched the inside of the wand however, I will not make that mistake next time. ☺

• Like 1

the center portion of the bung popped

oh well.... it's supposed to be in the  beer during tapping so it's not going to hurt anything

I only have one bung and now I have half a bung

not sure that was needed or necessary... but I did it anyway.  Put in the bung and viola, all's well.

The bung piece came out

This piece is quite a bit longer than the diameter of the bung hole

A decent amount of sludge came out

I have the required bung

Giggity.

• Like 3