Mr.Beer Community
ebiz1976

Temp on Czech Pilsner okay?

Checking in.....day 9 in the LBK.  Following everyone's advice, I got it out of cupboard and into a cooler (rotating iced water bottles) on day 2.  I just got a temp strip today and it's reading 59-63 degrees.  Is that too cold?  

Thanks!!

That's a bit too cold. You may want to open the cooler a bit or reduce the amount of ice water bottles. Try to get to at least 65 or above.

Thanks, Josh!  Do you think the batch will still be okay...assuming it has been at that temp from day 2-9?

Yes, it will be fine. It just got off to a sluggish start due to the cold temps.

It will be fine.  To cold typically isn't a problem, it just means it will take longer.

The key on temps is that the need varies by day.  When your fermentation kicks in, it gets hotter.  You need more cold bottles to keep it cool.  Then, as fermentation falls off, the heat generated is reduced, and you need LESS bottles.  That's where looking at that temp strip you got comes in.  For any particular yeast, there are temp ranges.  For many, including the Mr. Beer yeast, 64 - 66 is perfect.

• Like 2

I was told to put it on the temp strip on lower half of the LBK.  Is it okay that (in order to check the temp) I'm picking the LBK up out of the cooler in order to see the temp strip (2-3 times a day until I've got the timing and size of ice bottle dialed-in)?  In other words, is the brief lifting/moving going to harm the process?

Thanks in advance!

If the temperatures were on the cooler side as mentioned, The light disruption should be fine.

The wort will settle and the yeast will likley lay resting and waiting for the chance to devour and multiply. The forum likes a 3 week fermentation but a Gravity reading will actually tell when it is complete.

The Hydrometer is our friend especially when temps were lower than normal.

My Czeck Pilsner was overheated as I had to leave for a few days. After the four week mark of conditioning there were some off flavors but letting them sit longer seemed to help. I had some Belgian Spice going as well but this was a rich batch and longs for lenthy carbonation time, I am still working on that case, Vunderbar.

All the Best

It's ok. I would recommend buying a hand/small mirror, though.

• Like 1

I agree.  Lifting the LBK multiple times per day is asking for a problem.  

I put my LBK in a soft sided Keep Cool cooler bag I got from Costco for $7 (the new ones are still made by Keep Cool but have the Costco Wholesale branding logo on the outside. They also have a nice little outside zippered pocket.) It can be a tight fit, so on the back end of the LBK I put 2 plastic shoebox storage container lids facing each other vertically with the void in the middle to provide an air gap, and then stack my ice packs on the opposite side of that. That keeps the ice packs from conducting heat directly from the side of the LBK and chilling the wort too cold in that spot. My wireless remote thermometer sensor in a plastic ziplock bag (in case of blow off) sits on top of the vent lid, which gives me ambient air temperature in the bag, and by unzipping the bag and pulling it down on the side I can read the wort temp on the Mr. Beer stick on thermometer without having to move or disturb the LBK at all.