Mr.Beer Community
Squeegeethree

Suspending Fermentation for Vacation

I want to start another batch but there will be a week during the fermentation, right after the second week, where I will be on vacation.

I was thinking that I would just stick the fermenter in my fridge for that week putting the yeast into hibernation.  Then when I return take it out to finish the final week.  Should I have any concerns in doing this?

You could do it, but I don't see any reason why you would have to. Also, it could promote off-flavors due to thermal shock of the yeast.

Oh, I see. Good point. Like I said, it's doable, but you may get some off-flavors.

Why not just wait till you get back and start then? Enjoy your vacation.

• Like 2

I want to start another batch but there will be a week during the fermentation, right after the second week, where I will be on vacation.

I was thinking that I would just stick the fermenter in my fridge for that week putting the yeast into hibernation.  Then when I return take it out to finish the final week.  Should I have any concerns in doing this?

As you are leaving for vacation, take your whole FV to a neighbour's place, pound on the door, and when they open it, shove half-melted ice-bottles into their hands and yell "YOU DEAL WITH THIS!" - then just walk away.

:D

• Like 1

Josh, please ban him from the forum.  His priorities are all wrong.  He puts going on vacation before brewing beer.  I believe that is a violation of the Forum Terms, Paragraph 3, section 2, subsection C.  And I quote:

If a user has misplaced his/her priorities and puts things like their spouse/partner, children, job, other family, automobile, boat, or any other material item before brewing or bottling beer, then said individual shall be banned from the forum for a period not less than 3 millennia.  

• Like 7

Take it with you on vacation? Make sure to take selfies with it to post on the forums. :)

• Like 3

Take it with you on vacation? Make sure to take selfies with it to post on the forums. :)

:D Portaging a carboy through the Boundary Water Canoe Area would sure to draw some looks.

• Like 1

This thread is good timing. I have to get out for the weekend. I think my best option is to take it to be safe. My house will get to 80 during the day in TX. Any downside to a little jostling? This is my Oktoberfest. Deluxe version

I wouldn't worry about the jostling.  The trub will settle down and then some in the fridge.

My new thought was to throw some lager yeast in there since it will be in the fridge anyway.  But I'm not sure a week of lager yeast will do much two weeks into the fermentation.

This thread is good timing. I have to get out for the weekend. I think my best option is to take it to be safe. My house will get to 80 during the day in TX. Any downside to a little jostling? This is my Oktoberfest. Deluxe version

Just the weekend? Throw as many ice-bottles into a cooler (with the LBK, natch) as will fit. You'll knock the temps down below what the yeast want, but they can always be woken back up later. Temps should stay below 70° F while you are gone, if only for 2-3 days.

• Like 1

Another reason it is very handy to use a fridge or freezer with temp controller to ferment in. Set it and forget it.

My space is pretty limited in a NYC apartment + 2 kids and wife.  So other options must prevail.

Seems like it may be time to jettison some of the load...  1 kid and a wife should work - more room for beer.  

Haha, I came home from work yesterday and my wife had found brand new places to hide 2 cases of conditioning beer along with all my empties.  I think I'll keep her.

my g/f broke it off with me bcuz of my beer, wait that didn't come out right, my dad hasn't seen me in almost a year, bcuz I won't leave my beer alone in my house for more than a day, I can barely make it thru the day on my job without  thinking of my beer. I never use water when I shower, only beer, I water my roses outside with beer

• Like 1

my g/f broke it off with me bcuz of my beer, wait that didn't come out right, my dad hasn't seen me in almost a year, bcuz I won't leave my beer alone in my house for more than a day, I can barely make it thru the day on my job without  thinking of my beer. I never use water when I shower, only beer, I water my roses outside with beer

They should listen to your good advice. You can find this in many places on the interwebs: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/03/how-to-use-extra-beer_n_6250944.html

• Like 1

Nope back.  Had a great time camping and fishing.  One amazing day of pulling out Large Mouths with every cast for 10 minutes straight.

I ended up cold crashing for the week I was gone and then an additional week because I was too busy to bottle.  I was worried about not having enough yeast in suspension (Nottingham) to carb properly but that batch seems to be carbing up normally.

• Like 2