Mr.Beer Community
ebiz1976

Vote for my next refill: Bewitched Amber vs. Oktoberfest Deluxe Refill

Okay, friends.....I'm ordering my next refill (2nd batch).  My favorite beers are Ambers (Alaskan and Fat Tire), love the malty flavors, and really don't care for bitterness/hoppyness.

Which is my best play?

Bewitched Amber

OR

Oktoberfest Deluxe refill

(I've read the descriptions, etc....but value the opinion of those of you who have brewed them more).

Thanks!

You really can't go wrong with either one. To me they're both on the malty side and taste fairly similar.

You could order another lbk and make em both.

I Vote Oktoberfest,

I have read some of the recipies like Novacane, It seems best suited for new years eve but to each their own.

For me the Oktoberfest was very forgiving and had a long lasting impression of Mr. Beer Products. I loved it.

All the Best

So what is the major diference between craft and non-craft.

All recipe driven HME start up and are owner fermented. Hmmmmm?

Refill Vs added HME Hmmm. Ok

I thought we were going twoard custom grain extract LME and hopping for HME but Op recipes are purchase -able.

If one were to add an additional LME with a hop steep to a refill we are in the same range of vote. but the apple will never taste like the orange so to speak.

Kind regards, M

I would go to the recipe section and search on recipes using Oktoberfest, then pick what looks good. They will give you an idea of the impact of adding different stuff to that as a base.

• Like 1

Interesting, my first two brews were BAA and Oktoberfest. I also am a new brewer with 4 batches in. So you sound a lot like me. So here is my two cents. BAA was my first brew and it came out pretty good. It was darker than expected and a bit more bitter than i prefer. I also am a fan of fat tire and it was not like that. So it was good but not what i expected. Now the Oktoberfest (which i am drinking right now) also came out a little darker than expected but has a great malty taste and an easy finish. This is my favorite so far and will brew this again. I brewed this one straight up and not as a deluxe. I think that might be even better as the standard version does not have much of a head but has great flavor. I have also brewed the Bavarian Wiesbier which would be second favorite and a Canadien Blonde which came out very green (i think i got that one too warm during fermentation). So that is my two cents worth.

Bewitched. But that's just my $0.02

I like the idea of getting another LBK and doing both!! More pipeline. ;)  B)

Both are fine brews. Make one followed by the other. I like the BAA with some added malt, but try it straight up first and you can make additions next time.

Make them both at the same time in the same LBK.

monty-burns.jpg

• Like 3

Oktoberfest it is.  Hoping to start it next Tuesday (7/21).

Just throwing this out there, but Oktoberfest is on sale today on Amazon for 14.98 for prime members, which saves you a good amount since shipping is free with Prime.  

Josh....if someone were going to put two cans of refill into one LBK....still used the same amount of water?  thanks!

I've never made a two can batch, too expensive for me (except when I had $5 cans a ways back).

Last time I saw $5 cans, I was in a strip club.

Thank you very much, ladies & gentlemen - I'll be here all week. Don't forget to trip your waitress!

:D

-slym

• Like 4

It is going for 5$ right now today only.

In the Mr. Beer Store, I picked up a couple.

Very, very tempting. That and Winter Dark.

Yep! That's what I am gonna do, get an Irish Stout when they offer it for $5, a Winter Dark, and a replacement spigot for the old-@$$ LBK I have. I'd go for the Octoberfest, but I just made my Oktoberbeast Ale (mini-mash + DME) so I will use this RIS recipe I found somewhere ( :D ) using the MrB Stout HME as a base.

:)

I would go to the recipe section and search on recipes using Oktoberfest, then pick what looks good. They will give you an idea of the impact of adding different stuff to that as a base.

I just tasted my version of Rose's Rambling Red (Octoberfest Deluxe plus a half booster pack) before bottling, and boy is it goood.

• Like 2

how long have you let your bewitched amber to ferment? im on day 18. checked with hydrometer and its only reading mid 3's for abv.

how long have you let your bewitched amber to ferment? im on day 18. checked with hydrometer and its only reading mid 3's for abv.

The hydrometer doesn't measure alcohol, it measures the dissolved sugar in a liquid. You need to take a reading before you pitch your yeast and another reading 2 weeks later (using the Specific Gravity scale). The difference between these readings will give you your alcohol %.

Ignore the ABV scale on the hydrometer. It shows alcohol potential, which is mainly reserved for wines (because they typically finish at .998 - 1.000 the alcohol potential of a starting gravity in wine will be more accurate than with beer).

Here is s post that will help you: http://blog.mrbeer.com/how-to-use-a-hydrometer-101

i did the calculation and thats what i got, 3.28%. tomorrow will be day 21 fermenting.

• Like 1

how much longer do i dare leave in lbk? description says on mr.beer it should be 5.5%

If it's been 21 days, sounds like it's time to bottle, regardless of the abv rating.

First, it won't be 5.5%. Closer to 4.9 to 5.1.

Second, you cannot possibly ferment at the right temp and go from 3.28% to 3.9% in 1 day. Either you had it way too cold cor a period and it stalled, or you are not reading the hydrometer correctly or calculating ABV% improperly.

What temp did you ferment at?

What was your OG reading? What is your current reading?