Mr.Beer Community
youdontknowme311

how long before you give up?

How long before you would give up on a "green" beer? I've had a batch of Horse's Ass conditioning for 9 weeks and I haven't seen any improvement from each week. I know I fermented too high during peak fermentation so I knew the 3-4 weeks was a long shot. But I'm just curious if there's a cut off point where it's just not gonna clean itself up.

It won't get much better, if at all.  High temps will do that.  You can try mixing it with another beer (i.e. in the glass when you're ready to drink it).

Thanks Rick! I started the batch when it was in the 60's outside and then we had like 3 days where it was 90 something outside. The 2 kegs I had sitting in my closet and the temp strip read 66-68 for maybe the first 2 days and then When the temp outside was in the 90's the wort spiked to 76-78. This was before I learnt you can create fermentation chambers to control the wort temp.

That high temp, plus the big jump of 10 degrees, both contributed to the problem.   Never happened "cough" to me "cough".  

My first few batches were awful.  Very cidery.  I thought 70 was the target air temp, had no understanding of the rise due to fermenting  of 6 - 8 degrees.  Actually had it in the pantry closet with a portable heater to keep the room at 70.  Nor did I understand 3-4.

Now I ferment the entire batch at 64.  

Yeah, my first batch, I pitched the yeast into too-warm wort. It ended up with a weird sweetness that after over 2 months of conditioning, it calmed down a little, but never went away. I "gave up" on that brew a few weeks back.

That high temp, plus the big jump of 10 degrees, both contributed to the problem. Never happened "cough" to me "cough".

My first few batches were awful. Very cidery. I thought 70 was the target air temp, had no understanding of the rise due to fermenting of 6 - 8 degrees. Actually had it in the pantry closet with a portable heater to keep the room at 70. Nor did I understand 3-4.

Now I ferment the entire batch at 64.

After I learned about temp control I shot for 68-70 for the next couple batches that should be ready in a week. I'm hoping they will turn out okay. I guess 64-66 would be much better. I have lots to learn lol

There won't be a big difference between those two ranges - except 64 ferments slower (still finishes well within the 3 week period) and gets less active.  As I do 2.5 gallons in the LBK, less active ==> less overflow.

Probably time to drink that batch, call it a learning experience, and free up the bottles.

Or you could try using it with soft drinks - i.e. Shandy (suggest fizzy lemonade or ginger beer.)

Or you could use the fruit beer approach od a couple drops of fruit flavoring in the glass before the pour.

I have some with the same problem. So far I have just sucked it up and drunk it.

• Like 1

Or you could add the beer to a hard cider... I think that that is called a snake bite.

• Like 1

I wonder if it possible to referment the beer for a week with some added LME and yeast.

At the point of overheated batch some of the other options might work better.

If I had one that I could not drink it would become marinate or BBQ sauce.

PS: I am drinking a Chimay Blue recipe from Vakko that I touched up a bit it went into the high 70's for a day. It is not bad at all tastes like bourbon n tea with light sweet. I will have to write this mistake down. The Hopping did its job.

Cheers

I wonder if it possible to referment the beer for a week with some added LME and yeast.

At the point of overheated batch some of the other options might work better.

If I had one that I could not drink it would become marinate or BBQ sauce.

Would the green apple flavor be okay to cook with or would it be too strong?

I have used beer in many of my BBQ and cooktop recipes with meat and fish,

All should cook out.

Enjoy