Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mafifer

LME vs DME -- What's the difference?

Is there really much of a difference between an LME and a DME of the same type?  Other than one is liquid and the other is powder, would they both provide the same effect to the color/taste/abv of the beer?  It appears that way in descriptions (for instance pale dme/lme read the same in their descriptions), but I am curious really if they are the same why both exist?  Just personal preference maybe?  

Asked, and answered, often.

Why do they both exist?

1) Dry lasts longer (DME)

2) Dry costs less to ship (no can)

3) Dry is easier to measure out quantities.  

Most stores sell 3.3 lbs of LME in a can.  That's why many recipes have you use 1 or 2 cans PLUS some DME.  My LHBS sells bulk LME for $2.50 a pound, so I have never used DME.

1 pound of LME = 0.8 pounds of DME

1 pound of DME = 1.25 pounds of LME

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In addition to Rick's points, DME is also more expensive than LME per lb. This is because LME has some water content, while DME has none. Also, as Rick pointed out, the shelf life of DME is much higher and it won't darken over time as much as LME will.

• Like 1

the only drawback with dme is it can be messy to work with. it is super silty fine dusty and goes everywhere. add any moisture and you have a stick mess.

Asked, and answered, often.

Alright, well Rick since it was asked and answered often I think I have a new goal in life.  Apparently every question I ask has already been answered (even though I try a bunch of search terms and cannot find them) so my new goal is to think of a question that has not been asked and that you cannot answer!  It may be about beer, it may be about something else.  Maybe not today, and probably not tomorrow but I will find a way to stump you, and when I do, I will feel exalted knowing that I have accomplished a meaningless sad life goal!  Get ready sir, I will bring the thunder.

• Like 3

I mainly use DME, as it is easier to store, keeps for longer periods of storage, is easier to measure, etc.... but there are times when LME is the only choice. I am an extract brewer, and I can get Maris Otter & rye LME at my LHBS - something that I will soon be taking advantage of due to my desire to make a rye beer, either an ESB or an IPA.

I'd guess and say it is all about preference, though, mostly.

Here's one for you Mafifer.  If German Reinheitsgebot laws in their original form dictated what could be in beer, but did not know of the existence of yeast.  Why did they make an exception for ales over lagers?  Why weren't they treated equally under the law?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

Duuuuuuuuuuuude, I am supposed to come up with the question myself!  On the other hand, if that question is for me directly....my answer is "C" ;)

Ok Rick, I think I have the question that you can not say has been asked here before and I would love to see you have an answer for it.  How can we resolve the current financial woe's of Greece?  Take that smarty pants!

Ok Rick, I think I have the question that you can not say has been asked here before and I would love to see you have an answer for it.  How can we resolve the current financial woe's of Greece?  Take that smarty pants!

We don't because this isn't Greece. We have our own financial woes to worry about. That's just my 2 cents. :P

Dear People of Greece:

You want to spend as much as you want, and not worry about where the money is coming from.  You want to work less hours than most other countries, and have the government pay for everything.

Solution - Toss you out of European Union, tell you that when you pay your debts you can do business with other countries.  If you don't like it, you can eat olives.  

Sincerely,

Rickbeer

• Like 3

Dear People of Greece:

You want to spend as much as you want, and not worry about where the money is coming from. You want to work less hours than most other countries, and have the government pay for everything.

Solution - Toss you out of European Union, tell you that when you pay your debts you can do business with other countries. If you don't like it, you can eat olives.

Sincerely,

Rickbeer

Well said Sir, blunt but true!!!

I agree, well said, RickBeer.  But I also agree with Josh Ratliff's comments about the USA having its own problems!   :unsure:

No, but I am going to get back on topic-LME DME.  Good to know both have positive support.  I just ordered LME for the next brew.

One downside of DME is that the powder is so light it goes all over and results in stickiness of various surfaces, objects etc.

I prefer LME for that reason, but I prefer DME for reasons of ease of measuring/packaging, and that I can more conveniently get a variety of flavors from LHBS.

Nevertheless, I did use DME in my brew yesterday. Patriot Lager (Mar 2014! so keeping fingers crossed.) with 0.5 LB Sparkling Amber DME and 0.5 oz Hallertauer pellet. I also tried the Rick B trick of throwing the supplied yeast pack (2012) in the boil as yeast food and using a newer one (2013) for the fermentation. ( hope I get no boiled yeast off tastes.)

Dear People of Greece:

You want to spend as much as you want, and not worry about where the money is coming from.  You want to work less hours than most other countries, and have the government pay for everything.

Solution - Toss you out of European Union, tell you that when you pay your debts you can do business with other countries.  If you don't like it, you can eat olives.  

Sincerely,

Rickbeer

I'm sorry Rick, the correct answer would have been to send them all some beer and tell them to just chill and the problems will fix themselves....you know, like a Corona commercial...even though Corona is a truly horrific beer.  

If using DME for the first time, watch it like a hawk when boiling. It can boil over in a heartbeat. (And it knows when you look away)

• Like 1