Mr.Beer Community
syncman

Belgian spice ale

Just tried my batch of Spiced ale, and though the beer is OK, the clove taste is not too much to my liking. Maybe it would taste better in the cold weather. An aquaintance suggested orange peel instead, as I still have another one waiting to brew.  He brews 5 gal at a time, in kegs and refrigerators, and was not too helpful as to quantities and method for mr Beer. Would canned oranges or nectarines work? mash them first? or actual orange peel?  How much?

Your friend couldn't do the math?  2.13 gallons / 5 gallons = 43% of whatever he put in a 5 gallon batch.

Orange peel should be used, but NOT the white pith underneath, which is very bitter.  1/2 ounce at most for an LBK batch.

The clove flavor will dissipate as the beer ages.

Canned oranges or nectarines won't work very well. The orange peel is where the good aromatic and flavor oils are. The peel of one regular size orange should be plenty for a 2 gallon batch. Just use the orange peel and not the white pith as it can cause unwanted bitterness. You can use the juice if you wish, but it may be too acidic for the beer. The orange peel is where the good stuff is. Simply soak the orange peel in a small amount of vodka (just enough to cover it) for 24-48 hours. Then add the peel AND the vodka to your batch 1 week into fermentation (this will give you the best results).

• Like 2

Today is day 21 of the three week ferment of the Belgian Spiced Christmas Ale.

OG 1.058

FG 1.014 at 74° wort temp

(I only let it get that warm once or twice.)

Is this ready to cold crash and bottle, or do I need to let this ferment more?

Wow, I'm not sure I've ever seen that beer's gravity finish that low. I'd say it's most likely ready to cold crash. The corrected hydrometer reading if the wort was 74° would be 1.015. The Belgian Spiced rarely gets below 1.018. You must have had some really hungry yeast! :)

• Like 1

The clove flavor will dissipate as the beer ages.

My batch of Spiced Ale had been conditioning about seven weeks before I put a bottle in the fridge. The beer, IMVHO was awesome with a nice balanced taste. Give it time and all the flavors will find a nice happy medium...

• Like 1

For the citrus flavor some Cascade or Saaz hops might fill the bill. Liberty adds some aroma as well.

My Belgian spiced ale is now around 15 weeks conditioning and i had a couple today. It was worth the wait . I will put 3 or 4 in the fridge for next weekend report.

It gets better with age along with many Mr. Beer large HME recipes.

I am pleased. :D

• Like 1

Wow, I'm not sure I've ever seen that beer's gravity finish that low. I'd say it's most likely ready to cold crash. The corrected hydrometer reading if the wort was 74° would be 1.015. The Belgian Spiced rarely gets below 1.018. You must have had some really hungry yeast! :)

I aerated the wort fairly well, and kept it under 65° for the first few days of fermentation.

Maybe I didn't get every last bit of the extract out of the can? I was trying to keep it from sticking during the stirring process. I could have filled and rinsed the can with boiling water, but that would have increased my pitching temperature. Could that be it?

Where do I find a temperature correction chart for the current production plastic Mr. Beer hydrometer? The charts I see online are for generic beer hydrometers, and they have different corrections for "old" and "new" hydrometers, whatever that means.

Why not print the chart on the side of the white hydrometer body just above the black bulb?

Where do I find a temperature correction chart for the current production plastic Mr. Beer hydrometer? The charts I see online are for generic beer hydrometers, and they have different corrections for "old" and "new" hydrometers, whatever that means.

Most hydrometers on the market are calibrated at 60 degrees (some are at 68, but these are few and far between). I use the calculator over at Brewer's Friend: http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/.

Why not print the chart on the side of the white hydrometer body just above the black bulb?

This is a good idea. I will pass it on.

• Like 1

Most hydrometers on the market are calibrated at 60 degrees (some are at 68, but these are few and far between). I use the calculator over at Brewer's Friend: http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/.

This is a good idea. I will pass it on.

The current production Mr. Beer hydrometer has no instructions or documentation. Brewers Friend says older hydrometers are calibrated to 59°F (15°C) and newer hydrometers are calibrated to 68°F (20°C). So is this Mr. Beer hydrometer a new model based on the old design?

Presuming someone had a hydrometer of unknown origin, how would one determine the calibration? Place it in distilled water at 59° F, and 68° F, and see which water temperature read SG of 1.0?

• Like 2

Presuming someone had a hydrometer of unknown origin, how would one determine the calibration? Place it in distilled water at 59° F, and 68° F, and see which water temperature read SG of 1.0?

Yes, that's exactly correct.

• Like 2