Mr.Beer Community
pocketjr

Rattlesnake bootstrap

There's a commercial playing on the radio a lot lately for Sleeman brewery, which involves their embracing their "notorious past". It has different secret knock combinations like there would have been back in the prohibition days, and then a random name for the knock.

The first one is called "Rattlesnake bootstrap". I looked it up, and there is no actual brew that is named as such and now I feel like I NEED to come up with a brew with this awesome name.

I'm not even sure where to start other than to have a brew that has a little bite to it, maybe like an IPA. There's not a lot of snakes up our way, so I really have no idea here. The bootstrap part? Well…. I guess that would be dry? Maybe?

Any and all suggestions/ideas here are welcome. Maybe we could make this a collaboration?

So far, I'm thinking Diablo with the Grand Bohemian? Add some hot peppers at the end of fermentation maybe? I'm not sure what hop additions would go well. 

The Diablo should give it the hop/bitter, while the Pilsner will give it the dry finish, I think/hope. I'm trying to find info on adding peppers, it seems that if we're going for flavour it's suggested to add them to the last 10 minutes of the boil, but if we're going for heat it's best to dry hop them.

• Like 1

Summit hops. Some say they get a hint of onion and/or garlic from them.

Yes, this is similar to how cilantro tastes like soap to some people and it has something to do with our genetics. I love Summit hops (and cilantro) and I don't get the garlic/onion notes, but some people apparently do.