Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ZenLunatic7

Booster?

I picked up a LBK kit this week pretty cheap, and was excited to get it going this weekend.  When I went to open the booster, it was a solid gel, so "sprinkling" it in didn't seem possible.  I see booster is out of stock and doesn't come with newer kits. Can I still brew without it, or do I need an LME as well?    Thanks!

I picked up a LBK kit this week pretty cheap, and was excited to get it going this weekend.  When I went to open the booster, it was a solid gel, so "sprinkling" it in didn't seem possible.  I see booster is out of stock and doesn't come with newer kits. Can I still brew without it, or do I need an LME as well?    Thanks!

You can definitely brew without the booster. Some people like it, some don't. Personally I ahve never used it. You can add LME, but you don,t need to.

• Like 1

When I went to open the booster, it was a solid gel, so "sprinkling" it in didn't seem possible.  I see booster is out of stock and doesn't come with newer kits. Can I still brew without it, or do I need an LME as well?    Thanks!

If the booster was a "gel", it must have gotten wet, as it should be in powder form. Booster adds alcohol content and some "mouth feel". An LME will have a bigger impact (IMO) on the flavor and texture of the final product (as well as increasing alcohol content). Did you buy the product "new"? Did you look at the date on the bottom of the can?

• Like 1

Same thoughts - the booster must have absorbed moisture, discard it. Definitely check the date on the can. old cans can still be brewed, but make absolutely sure the can has no signs of swelling or the contents are leaking. If it smells "off" in any way discard. Yeast have a limited life too, so you might need to purchase some fresh.

• Like 1

Same thoughts - the booster must have absorbed moisture, discard it. Definitely check the date on the can. old cans can still be brewed, but make absolutely sure the can has no signs of swelling or the contents are leaking. If it smells "off" in any way discard. Yeast have a limited life too, so you might need to purchase some fresh.

I checked it. It was from 2012.  No signs of botulism.   The malt smelled good. Reminded me of touring the bud brewery a long time ago  :)

• Like 1

If the malt had no bulges and smells fine with no visible issues, it's probably fine. It may have darkened since 2012 a bit though.

• Like 1

Buldging and smells and dented cans,

What can we expect when coming across with these defects?

I have recieved dented cans and found buldging on others. No vendors mentioned here.

Buldging and smells and dented cans,

What can we expect when coming across with these defects?

I have recieved dented cans and found buldging on others. No vendors mentioned here.

We won't replace dented cans unless the damage is severe and it is only 1 or 2 cans. They can still be used.

We can't be held responsible for cans damaged in shipping via UPS/USPS. We try to pack our shipments the best we can, but UPS will still find a way to damage our items from time to time. When this happens and it is severe, we will recommend that you file a claim with UPS for damaged goods (as any company would).

If the product came from a 3rd party retailer, we are not responsible for damaged items from them (This is a case by case basis. Sometimes we will replace something if it's small, like a spigot or lid). You will have to talk to the retailer about getting a replacement. If it was ordered directly from us, we may be able to help get it replaced, depending on the circumstances.

All manufacturing defects are eligible for replacement regardless of where they came from. If we determine it is a manufacturing defect, we will replace it.