Mr.Beer Community
Robin

Repeat Question

I am certain this question has been asked before, however I am looking for a fast answer. 

Once a bottle has been placed in the fridge (and opened) and it is known that it has not yet completed (only 2 weeks in) conditioning is it okay to take it back out to complete the process?? 

I am certain this question has been asked before, however I am looking for a fast answer. 

Once a bottle has been placed in the fridge (and opened) and it is known that it has not yet completed (only 2 weeks in) conditioning is it okay to take it back out to complete the process??

I am by no stretch an expert, but if it was unopened, I would say yes. It will warm up and the yeast will become active again. But, since it has been opened , it is my assumption that once oxygen gets to it, it would create some bad flavors. I would personally drink it and let the rest set at room temperature to condition for at least two more weeks.

Right - and carbonation has been released.

In short - if you don't have patience to wait, you need to choke it down.   :lol:

• Like 2

Right - and carbonation has been released.

In short - if you don't have patience to wait, you need to choke it down.   :lol:

You are sooooo right Rick ... patience got the best of me.   Thank you

since it has been opened , it is my assumption that once oxygen gets to it, it would create some bad flavors.

It would have to have a long exposure to oxygen to develop the oxidized wet cardboard/sherry flavors. And the amount of carbonation lost during the opening of the beer was most likely minimal unless the beer was sitting out for awhile without a lid. The beer should continue carbonating as long as there is sugar available for the yeast, which will come out of dormancy at room temps.

I can't imagine that opening a beer, pouring some in a glass, tasting it, then recapping what is left is going to result in a properly carbonated beer a few weeks later, but have it.  

I can't imagine that opening a beer, pouring some in a glass, tasting it, then recapping what is left is going to result in a properly carbonated beer a few weeks later, but have it.  

I've done it before. As long as there is still sugar available, there will be carbonation. Maybe not as much as if the beer had been left alone, but it will resume if sugars are available and the yeast is still viable.

I've done it before. As long as there is still sugar available, there will be carbonation. Maybe not as much as if the beer had been left alone, but it will resume if sugars are available and the yeast is still viable.

Thank Josh ... I think I will try, surely can't hurt anything at this point.  It was cracked open, threw back my head and recapped it.  Who knows what will happen.  Thank you

Robin:

If by "threw back my head" you're implying you're drinking out of the bottle, then note for the future you want to pour into a glass, not drink out of the bottle, to not disturb the layer of trub at the bottom, and leave the last 1/4 inch.

• Like 1

Not to mention your dirty filthy mouth that one can only wonder where it's been has now touched your sanitary beer.

Robin:

If by "threw back my head" you're implying you're drinking out of the bottle, then note for the future you want to pour into a glass, not drink out of the bottle, to not disturb the layer of trub at the bottom, and leave the last 1/4 inch.

I think I am going to use Nottingham yeast for everything I make from now on. The trub at the bottom of the bottle is very thin, and doesn't want to give itself up even with a pretty aggressive pour. Every one of my blondes got up-ended when I poured them, never had any yeast make it into a glass.

;)

Has anyone ever asked that question before?

I actually posted this twice on purpose, mods.

*pokepokepoke*

No one gets my sense of humour around here...

:(