Mr.Beer Community
rich5665

Broke a spigot, but saved the beer - Maybe

I had an all grain batch fermenting in one of my LBKs. I discovered beer leaking from the spigot, it was two weeks into fermentation at this point. Not wanting to lose anymore beer I decided to bottle the beer and discovered the spigot was broken inside the keg. I managed to prep a sugar solution (priming sugar and warm water) and transferred the beer to a bottling bucket. I estimate I lost more or less 1.5 to 2 liters of beer. My concern is the fact that the leak started at some point on July 19, the day I discovered the leak, so infection is a concern. Thoughts on this?

Other notes on the batch: Starting gravity was 1.054, on the day of the incident I managed to take a sample from the LBK for testing Final Gravity was 1.010. I also managed to get a taste of the brew. Although flat as expected, the over all taste was outstanding. If I have indeed managed to save this batch, it will be the best tasting beer that I've brewed other than the Oktoberfest. I really don't have anything to compare it to as most my batches are still conditioning.

My other two completed batches

Czech Pilsner - Under carbed (Yes, RB you were right) and week 

Irish Red - Not so red, more of a brown hoppy ale 

The great likelihood is that the beer will be fine. With a leak you have fluid traveling out of the LBK. Unless any bacteria or wild yeast are strong swimmers, any infection would have to come from elsewhere. Not to mention that the pH of the beer is somewhat inhospitable to bacteria at this point.

• Like 2

Good to know. I'm really looking forward to drinking this. It was my first All Grain attempt.

Good to know. I'm really looking forward to drinking this. It was my first All Grain attempt.

Congrats on the save! :ph34r: It always seems to be a shame to waste beer, especially when you put so much work in it.

food grade buckets and glass carboys almost never spring leaks.   ive always liked mr beer's refills and such but was never fond of the spigot issues.  good catch on the save and yes, as mentioned, your beer is most likely safe.

I AM THE GREAT CORNHOLIO! I NEED TP FOR MY BUNGHOLIO! I come from Nicaragua. my people are poor but humble and lack tp for their bungholios.

...and yet we were glued to the set anytime they were on...  says a lot about us too huh? :)

• Like 2

One variable to consider is when anything leaks out gas/liquid etc.. Oxygen or surounding air will inhibit the space.

The CO2 vapor might get compromised but a healthy brew should be able to withstand the elements if caught early.

Sounds like the sugar contingency plan will work good. The LBK is our friend especially in space limited environments.