Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ZenLunatic7

Bottles

So i'm T-1 1/2 weeks til bottling (maybe a little more with cold crashing), and I want to get the 750ml PET bottles from Mr. Beer.  I was thinking of only using 6 for a batch to keep as a "reserve" and use smaller bottles to share.  I would imagine it's more economical to collect used bottles and sanitize than buying more.   What are the best types of bottles to use for this?  What does everyone else use?   TIA!

funny-cat-with-beer-bottle.jpg

NOT how I plan on bottling, btw!

If you buy any beer from a store, pretty much any beer that is in brown/dark glass bottles should work.  My next batch will be bottled using 12 oz bottles that are comprised of a 6 pack of Three Floyds, 12 from Goose Island, and 6 from Off Color.  I have a small collection of boomer bottles (22 oz and 25 oz) that I will eventually use too once I have enough to do effectively.  

Point is, there is no right answer, the Mr. Beer bottles work fine but if you want to reuse bottles, anything dark is fine, just don't be using corona or high life, stuff like that because those are in clear bottles.  

• Like 1

What about plastic?  I wasn't looking to cap this soon in, but I don't mind if I have to.  Just another expense!

Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Money.jpg

If you use glass, go for the brands that have labels that come off easy. I have found that Sierra Nevada, SamAd, Port City, Great Lakes, Dogfish Head, Bell's, and Victory (off the top of my head) all use easily-removed labels & glue. Some stick like superglue (Brooklyn Brewery) and are not worth the time to try & save.

I use either StarSan (with a 2-3 day soak) or One Step (with a 2-3 hour soak) that is leftover from my sanitization routine to soak the bottles in for a while before peeling off the label & lightly scrubbing under warm/hot running water to remove the glue.

• Like 1

Any bottle that held a carbonated beverage works, but stay away from root beer bottles. If they aren't brown, shield them from light while conditioning and storing.

See "Bottle Cleaning" in my signature.

• Like 1

I used the PET bottles from Mr. Beer for my first 3 or 4 batches... After that I started saving glass bottles.  Since I am really partial to Founder's beers,  I started saving the short 12 oz bottles. Once empty, I put them in the sink in hot water and the labels slide off.  That's when I bought a bench capper and some caps and have never looked back... Just remember, if you are going to start using glass bottles do not use the screw cap type... Use brown bottles with a pry-off cap...

• Like 2

So i'm T-1 1/2 weeks til bottling (maybe a little more with cold crashing), and I want to get the 750ml PET bottles from Mr. Beer. I was thinking of only using 6 for a batch to keep as a "reserve" and use smaller bottles to share. I would imagine it's more economical to collect used bottles and sanitize than buying more. What are the best types of bottles to use for this? What does everyone else use? TIA!

funny-cat-with-beer-bottle.jpg

NOT how I plan on bottling, btw!

Just as long as the cat is willing to share!

Capping is not that big of an expense. If you have a recycling center near you, get to know the people there. I've gotten a good number of brown glass bottles for just the cost of some home brew.

I've gotten a good number of brown glass bottles for just the cost of some home brew.

NOOOOOO! Do not give away homebrew!

• Like 1

I usually play disc golf on the weekends (unless it's total swamp like conditions, as it is now) and a lot of people in the club drink while playing. I'll ask them to save me bottles :)

• Like 1

Any bottle that held a carbonated beverage works, but stay away from root beer bottles. If they aren't brown, shield them from light while conditioning and storing.

See "Bottle Cleaning" in my signature.

That's probably the ONE link I hadn't read yet  ;)

If you use glass, go for the brands that have labels that come off easy. I have found that Sierra Nevada, SamAd, Port City, Great Lakes, Dogfish Head, Bell's, and Victory (off the top of my head) all use easily-removed labels & glue. Some stick like superglue (Brooklyn Brewery) and are not worth the time to try & save.

I use either StarSan (with a 2-3 day soak) or One Step (with a 2-3 hour soak) that is leftover from my sanitization routine to soak the bottles in for a while before peeling off the label & lightly scrubbing under warm/hot running water to remove the glue.

Did Great Lakes change the glue on their bottles?  I've found their labels and glue harder to remove than a lot of other ones.  GL bottles have been going into my recycling bin since March.  Founder's labels are easy to remove; hence, most craft beer I purchase now are Founder's products.

• Like 2

I prefer the 1 Liter Amber PET Bottles as it makes for a quicker bottling day among other reasons and I don't need to buy anything else to reuse them. However I do have a capper now, some bottle caps, and an empty :(  12pk of Sam Adams 12oz bottles. So while I will continue to use the 1 Liter's, I'm going to try using the glass bottles for my 1G recipes, unless I get a lot more glass bottles. I was saving them before and had quite a few, but when we were cleaning the garage last time, the wife said well since you're not going to brew any beer any time soon we might as well recycle these bottles.....arrrggg...

Did Great Lakes change the glue on their bottles?  I've found their labels and glue harder to remove than a lot of other ones.  GL bottles have been going into my recycling bin since March.  Founder's labels are easy to remove; hence, most craft beer I purchase now are Founder's products.

I did notice that GL changed their label design recently, maybe they changed glue as well? I haven't bought any of the newly-labelled beers yet to try... but the last few I did were old-style labels and they came right off. I will have to do some tests.

:)

I usually play disc golf on the weekends (unless it's total swamp like conditions, as it is now) and a lot of people in the club drink while playing. I'll ask them to save me bottles :)

Bottles? Really? ***IF*** I and my friends were to do such a thing (it's illegal to consume alcohol in a lot of city parks around here), we always carry cans or the stubby aluminum bottles. And remember, "if you pack it in, pack it out!"

:D

• Like 1

Bottles? Really? ***IF*** I and my friends were to do such a thing (it's illegal to consume alcohol in a lot of city parks around here), we always carry cans or the stubby aluminum bottles. And remember, "if you pack it in, pack it out!"

:D

One of our courses here is VERY well maintained and has trash and recycling bins at each tee pad!

Of course, most of the people who play drink swill in cans anyway.   I had to gag down some Natty Light or something someone gave me.   It was horrrrrible.

• Like 2

I had to gag down some Natty Light or something someone gave me.   It was horrrrrible.

You poor thing.  You must have been traumatized.  Show me on the doll where the sewage touched you!

post-66146-0-44312600-1439311174_thumb.p

• Like 1

You poor thing.  You must have been traumatized.  Show me on the doll where the sewage touched you!

post-66671-0-30236000-1439319632_thumb.j

• Like 1

You can add Flying Dog, and Brewers Alley (If you live in Maryland) as bottles to avoid also. I'm beginning to think some of these people don't WANT us to reuse their bottles!

I use both 740ml and 500ml plastic, plus a case of glass bottles from LHBS, It is better to purchase glass in person.

I broke a couple of glass bottles from a high performance Oktoberfest and learning to cap my glass. (no beer lost).

I drank a pack of Heineken to restore the pipeline last weekend. They fit perfect in the cardboard boxes but green. Labels look permanent.

The plastic bottles will eventually wear out on the bottom from pressurizing and the caps wear preventing good sealing. Glass is the best way to go and more economical in the long run.

• Like 1

Has Anyone tried the Aluminum beer bottles? Hmmm

Finding good caps might get difficult but pop bottle screw on caps might work.

I have used the stubby-type before with screw-on lids, not the more "traditional"-looking metal bottles that take a standard cap.

They work OK, I wouldn't re-use them more than once though.

Has Anyone tried the Aluminum beer bottles? Hmmm

Finding good caps might get difficult but pop bottle screw on caps might work.

I was given a case of the Budweiser 16oz pry off aluminum bottles. I currently have a batch of Czech Pilsner conditioning in them. They worked fine in my bench capper and I have to believe that they won't impart any flavors to the beer seeing as they don't affect Budweiser.

Heh. Buttwiper could use some flavour - amIright?

I don't even.....................?

Any long-necked amber pry-top bottle will work.  Like others have said, the key is to find bottles with easy to remove labels.  Some bottles have labels that will practically fall off leaving almost no glue residue after an overnight soak in soapy water.  Then there are some bottles that you almost need a belt sander to remove the labels.  Currently I've got a six of Moose Drool that I'm drinking.  This is a brand that has fairly easy to remove labels.  After an overnight soak, the labels will peel off leaving some glue that can be removed with a scrub from a Scotch Bright pad.

I've found that Pacifico bottles have extremely easy labels to remove. An overnight soak in an Oxyclean solution and the bottles come out without a label or any label residue.