Mr.Beer Community

for my first batch i used 2 cans of mr. beer canadian blonde extracts its what i had

(12 oz. of dry malted amber extract

12  oz of crystaline 2 row barley

12 oz  of chocolate 2 row barley

5 tablespoons of sugar. i thought my APV was too low it came to 6% after the 5 tablespoons

SA-05 yeast

my question is i put the 1 oz. of haulerta hops in sack and added to end of boil. i took out and poured wort in LBK i didnt knowi was supposed to leave the hops in ferminter.

Anyone have any idea what style of beer this will be or if drinkable LOL

its definatly bubbling good.

How were you able to know the alcohol if the beer isn't even done yet? Also, that's way too much crystal malt and too much chocolate malt. You shouldn't need more than 4oz for our 2 gallon batches. And you should also never add table sugar to your beer unless you're using it for carbonation or you're making a Belgian ale (table sugar makes beer taste like crap, unless using Belgian yeasts).

• Like 1

I filled the LBK as directed and then added the rest to my 5 gallon fermentor bucket. With 3 gallons of water. I took a reading with the hydrometer after wort cooled down. Also i read plenty of recipes on line that add plenty  table sugar and corn syrup. Can 5 tablespoons be that bad. I was going for a thick malty beer.

I filled the LBK as directed and then added the rest to my 5 gallon fermentor bucket. With 3 gallons of water. I took a reading with the hydrometer after wort cooled down. Also i read plenty of recipes on line that add plenty  table sugar and corn syrup. Can 5 tablespoons be that bad. I was going for a thick malty beer.

There in lies the confusion. You didn't mention the additional fermenter, I've done that in a thread too. The way the first post is written, I thought you were just using the LBK.

Table sugar is great for making Redneck wine, not so much for beer.

The hydrometer doesn't measure alcohol, it measures the volume of sugar in the batch. The only way to know the alcohol content is to take a measurement before you add your yeast and another measurement after the batch is done fermenting. The difference between these 2 numbers gives you your ABV. The alcohol scale on hydrometers is for showing the alcohol potential (not actual alcohol content) of wine because most wines finish at 1.000. Beer almost always has residual unfermentable sugars which would make this measurement with the ABV scale completely inaccurate. Here is an article that will help you with using a hydrometer properly: http://blog.mrbeer.com/how-to-use-a-hydrometer-101.

What is the consequences of using too much  malt.

Using too much crystal malt will make your beer too sweet. Crystal malt is unfermentable and is only intended to add color and flavor, not alcohol or body. Too much chocolate malt will make the beer astringent from too much tannin.

Sugar will NOT add body to your beer. It will reduce the malt flavor and thin the beer. So if you're looking for a thick and malty beer, adding sugar is the last thing you'll want to do.

I highly recommend that your first batch be something simple with easy instructions (such as our refill kits and recipes).

Also, when posting on the forums for help, it really helps to specify what size of fermenter you're using, otherwise we will all assume it's the 2 gallon LBK.

• Like 2

Is there anything i can throw in to balance it to save the batch. Im not picky i will drink anything. but i hate to waste money.

The batch isn't ruined. It will still be beer, it just may not be the best tasting beer. There's not really much you can do after it's already been fermenting.

• Like 1

"For my first batch"...

Really?  You went all mad scientist in your first batch?

See my signature...   :lol:

• Like 3

you CAN go mad scientist but you darn well better do lots and lots of research before doing that first batch.  . . or don't be shocked it your first batch tastes like dog poo not that ive ever tasted dog poo but if I had....

• Like 1

I had a plan but i started drinking beer before i starting brewing. Its obvious ironically the two dont go together very well. Lol. I was too drunk to understand the youtube video

Brewing drunk is ill advised, pour boiling wort a great way to hurt yourself or others.

Pretty clear comment I thought. Outgrew it in college. Amazing to me that adults get drunk. Shows a lack of maturity, IMHO. I drink beer to enjoy it, but never have more than I can responsibly handle.

• Like 1

Pretty clear comment I thought. Outgrew it in college. Amazing to me that adults get drunk. Shows a lack of maturity, IMHO. I drink beer to enjoy it, but never have more than I can responsibly handle.

37144174.jpg

• Like 1

define 'responsibly handle' rick.  to me, if I am getting drunk at home... don't beat my wife... don't get behind the wheel or operate machinery or the stove.... but instead watch tv and cackle like a loon.. to me that is still drinking responsibly. drunk or not.   I used to love getting hammered on vodka and cran while the wife was at work, and surfing the web. as long as it isn't a daily thing and one doesn't do stupid things I see no harm in getting blotto every now and then. life sucks major ass sometimes and ya just gotta get stupid to keep from going completely insane... imo.   

• Like 2

define 'responsibly handle' rick. to me, if I am getting drunk at home... don't beat my wife... don't get behind the wheel or operate machinery or the stove.... but instead watch tv and cackle like a loon.. to me that is still drinking responsibly. drunk or not. I used to love getting hammered on vodka and cran while the wife was at work, and surfing the web. as long as it isn't a daily thing and one doesn't do stupid things I see no harm in getting blotto every now and then. life sucks major ass sometimes and ya just gotta get stupid to keep from going completely insane... imo.

Strangely this reminds me of the words of King Lemuel's mother. Sage advice.

A little Old Testament history folks (this is the part that comes before all that stuff about a virtuous wife, the part that no one ever quotes):

Proverbs 31:1-10

"1 The words of king Lemuel, the prophecy that his mother taught him.

2 What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows?

3 Give not thy strength unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings.

4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:

5 Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

8 Open thy mouth for the dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction.

9 Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy."

Unless of course you are a Kennedy....

BELCH!

Sounds like zorak1066 is playing it right down the middle. Bravo!

Excuse me now, I've got some beer waiting in the fridge for me to have "Biblical knowledge" of it.

anything to brighten ones mood and lighten their load, in moderation, done sensibly... with harm to none save maybe the one taking a substance in....  is a good thing. there's a fine line between a balm for the spirits and a crutch. the trick is to know the difference and not cross that line.  sometimes one's load is just too heavy and praying to super beings just does not do anything... however  getting a little toasted or numb works miracles. at least for me.   now if I find myself yearning constantly to get drunk then I would have a problem.  I feel the same about legalization of pot.  it's safer than cigs and alcohol.. and if used in moderation, and it makes one's life a little brighter.. why not? legalize, control it, tax it... there are so many worse things one could put in their body like rabid beavers or live bees. for me, alcohol is far less damaging than the fist fulls of psychotropic meds they would put me on for depression and other things. lol... I actually told my doc "I would much rather destroy my liver with drink than with meds. at least with drink I can have some fun along the way!" 

he didn't appreciate that.  :P

• Like 3

ouch, judge people much?  

201502_2240_dgcbb_sm.jpg

I can go to church if i need advice on bring a man. Im trying to brew beer does anyone in this club know how. Focus people. Lol dont take it to heart. Back to the point so should i use corn syrup for bottling. since rick said i screwed up this beer pretty bad

I can go to church if i need advice on bring a man. Im trying to brew beer does anyone in this club know how. Focus people. Lol dont take it to heart. Back to the point so should i use corn syrup for bottling. since rick said i screwed up this beer pretty bad

I did not say that. I said that going mad scientist on your first batch was ill advised.

Why do you want to use corn syrup?

You are mistaken. Never said any of that.

If someone tells you to carbonate with corn syrup, you should consider ignoring his/her advice going forward.

Carbonate with sugar or carbonation drops. Don't use corn syrup.

Ok so today is 8 days of fermentation. Wow wow. I pulled a sample amazing smoky dark bock flavor smooth my wife took 2 sips she only drinks wine. She loved it. I finished the glass. It is top shelf guys. Somebody needs to rethink there research on chocolate malt. If it is this good at 8 days. Please dont tell me it can get better cause i guess i lucked out and im getting drunk next week.

if you pull samples of fermenting beer be advised... it is not uncommon for the yeast that you will be drinking to cause some tummy troubles like bloating, gas and the runs.

after you bottle with priming sugar you cant expect it to be carbonated right away...so if you like drinking sweet uncarbonated beer, then ok but...

carbonation usually takes 2 weeks... conditioning takes about another 2 weeks for flavors to meld and improve.  what you can do is bottle... give it a week... try one.  leave the rest sit for another week...try another... leave the rest sit for another week... try one...etc... and compare how tastes differ.

brewing takes patience and patience pays off...

Ok thanks. My plan was to keep in fermenting for three weeks. If it tastes good at 2 weeks should i bottle it.

I'm guessing someone wont have the patience to allow the beer to properly carbonate once bottled.  And I'm finding Ricks one word responses highly amusing. 

• Like 1

He does that a lot.  Beaver hat on his head cuts off the circulation and he says crazy things...   :lol:

Yet another new guy here- just reading through this stuff trying to gain some knowledge has shown me that joining the brewing community was a great choice. I get it that you shouldn't go mad scientist on your first batch but is using something other than the MB carbo tabs that far fetched? I can understand about not using any honey, corn syrup or the like but what about raw cane sugar, brown sugar or something else as such that has very little processing? I'm using the LBK and have chosen the Grand Bohemian. ALL of the MB steps have been read, reread and watched and rewatched to not screw up the wort at least. I've stored my LBK inside of a cooler as suggested and I'm using an IR thermometer to check the outside of the LBK and the pantry it's sitting in. Thanks in advanced for your feedback and advice. PROST!!

Use table sugar.  Plain old table sugar.  Anything else is simply wasting money.

• Like 1

Correct.  Yeast eats all the sugar.  And there is so little of it, virtually nothing remains.

Okay cool; good to know. So favor is more about the interaction of the different types of yeast, malt and hops so long as the tools of the trade are clean and the water quality and the brewing process is consistent.

On another note- is it just me or is there a helluva lot of Michiganders on here?

I'm a military brat, active duty Army and about to retire myself and raised in the Eastern UP so I know exactly what you mean. Thanks again for your help!

• Like 2

Is that a lake joke, Rick?

Sounds more like a yooper joke to me, eh?

• Like 1

Whatever sugar is the least expensive, which differs by region. In Michigan, it is beet sugar from sugar beets.