Mr.Beer Community
MRB-Rick

Best Beer for the starter kit

101 members have voted

1. 1. What would the best beer for a starter kit be?

• Classic American Light
    • American Ale
    • American Lager
    • Bohemian Czech Pilsner
    • Bavarian Weissbier
    • Aztec Mexican Cerveza
    • Oktoberfest Lager
    • Canadian Blonde
    • American Porter
    • St Patrick's Irish Stout

If you were to choose a beer for us to put into the starter kit, what would it be?

• Like 1

^^^^^  what he said.  Big fan.  but, to be fair, haven't tried them all yet.  

or, what would be even better, stock them with the Seasonals.  :)

How about a variety?

1. Bronze - Starter kit with Bewitched Amber Ale

2. Silver - Starter kit with Oktoberfest and Canadian Blonde

3. Gold - Starter kit with the American Series

4. Platinum - Starter kit with International Series

• Like 3

Bewitched Amber

I doubt that they would put one of the "big cans" in a starter; probably just a standard refill. If that is the case, I would vote for Octoberfest or American Ale.

• Like 1

I would think the American Ale or American Lager would be a good one.

• Like 1

I added a poll to the this post to make it a bit easier for us to see your answers. Notice that it only has the Standard cans since that's what will go into the starter kit rather than the craft or seasonal cans.

I added a poll to the this post to make it a bit easier for us to see your answers. Notice that it only has the Standard cans since that's what will go into the starter kit rather than the craft or seasonal cans.

boooooo!

although the bohemian weissbier sounds nice...

If you were to choose a beer for us to put into the starter kit, what would it be?

I choose American Ale because I think it would be the best for the mass appeal needed for a starter kit, but my personal taste would lean towards the American Porter.  However, it might be better to substitute the Pale LME for the booster.  Mr. Beer is primarily an ale brewing system.  American Ale would be a good ambassador for the brand.

• Like 2

I have not tried all of the brews in the poll. Voted for American Ale

Starting out is hard enough without knowing what to expect.

Starting out with a complex recipe that comes up fubar might be worse than a couple of mistakes with CAL.

I like oktoberfest and aztec, Irish stout aging gracefully had a bad turnout of bavarian czek though.

The basic starter kit is fine for beginners but CAL needs some help. B)

i'm still undecided between:

1.  Bavarian Czech Pilsner
  2.  Bohemian Weissbier

You monster...

:P

Fixed the naming on those two. :ph34r:

Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

• Like 1

I doubt that they would put one of the "big cans" in a starter; probably just a standard refill. If that is the case, I would vote for Octoberfest or American Ale.

I am up for give you the best experience.   Not opposed to the big can going in there.

• Like 2

What do you all think about a Classic American, 4 ounces of DME, 1/4 ounce of hops, and some special steeping grains?  

• Like 3

That would help out the CAL.... but then again I m in the minority that thought my first batch of classic american light tasted pretty decent. This should still be easy enough that a first timer wouldn't have too much trouble.

Hopping, DME, Boosters,

All hard for first time. Cooking the HME with the proper water amount at the right temperature is a challange for first timers.

Keep it Simple and the additives will come naturally when one reads what can be acomplished.

Do not forget your first batch

• Like 5

What do you all think about a Classic American, 4 ounces of DME, 1/4 ounce of hops, and some special steeping grains?  

Personally, I think about the first-timer getting one of these kits, and am thinking off the KISS rule.

I'd suggest one of the big cans (NWPA) or maybe American Ale and Softpak LME (pale or smooth) if you are gonna "church it up" some.

• Like 3

I think you need more than one kind of starter kit. You want people buying the kit to get beer like what they like to drink (or better in their view).

I think you need one in each range of your light, medium and strong IBUs. and you could label them   "light/dry" , "medium/malty",   "bitter/dark"

Say

For "light/dry" - Canadian Blonde or Aztek  (Will be quite dry when using the booster pack)

For "medium/malty" - Oktoberfest (tough choice, I like the Pilsner but felt the need to market a malty choice)

For "bitter/dark" - American Porter (I think the Stout is too bitter for a starter kit and the American Ale while nice is not enough contrast from Oktoberfest) 

For both the Oktoberfest and Porter, I would suggest to use a malt pack not booster, say smooth and robust respectively, but keep the booster for the light one.

Of course with multiple kits you have more cost, but once you start, you can see which ones go better and modify strategy accordingly.

Or  you could package the Kit without the HME and offer the HMEs separately to pair with the production kit. I know it is a nice idea to get all in one package but the customer loses a lot of flexibility there and you could use the same packs  for single refill sales.

That's my 2c.

Yeah, I think that is a little too complex for most beginners.  But that's another idea.  Would it be good to have a beginner and an advanced brewer starting kit?  There might be some people who would want the extra challenge.

The problem with choices is who does the choosing.  The gift giver may know absolutely nothing about the gift recipient's preferences or abilities.  And the reality is that when you give people choices, one of the choices they pick is not doing anything.

• Like 1

This is an interesting topic as I guess the intent is that the new person's first batch is a successful batch that will make them want to continue.  I believe the intent of the first batch is to teach them the process.  Best to keep the first batch simple and low cost so any of the standard recipes work.

My advice to Mr. Beer is when someone buys a starter kit, formulate a strategy with that customer to develop their beer-making skills beyond that first batch.  In the Mr. Beer world, I see really 3 steps in developing a person who will enjoy making beer.

Step 1 = Standard refill

Step 2 = Deluxe refill

Step 3 = Recipe

The reason I identify these 3 steps is to make the beginning brewer realize that making beer is much more interesting than that first standard refill batch.  Mr. Beer needs to say to them something like, "you did good with your first batch, now let's make something better."  Ultimately you want the customers exploring different recipes and enjoying the hobby.

So my advice is with the refill kits is this...

1. If there's a 2nd or 3rd refill in the kit, include an LME to make one of them a Deluxe refill batch.

2. Include a coupon in the kit towards purchasing a recipe.  Make the coupon a little better than the sales and discounts Mr. Beer periodically has.  Heck, take a loss at getting them to order a recipe after doing their first couple of refills.  Your goal here is to get them to explore the Mr. Beer inventory of recipes and to start using their imagination of what they want to make.  Plus (in my opinion), a recipe makes better beer than just making a standard or deluxe refill.

I think one of the main reasons that people will get the kit but not continue in the hobby is because they view the simple standard refill beer to be simple, unimaginative beer.  You need to get them to open their eyes to the discovery of the 100+ recipes.

• Like 3

I vote for CAL because it is a decent starter.  The big thing a new brewer needs to learn is how to clean properly.  Once cleaning/sanitizing/maintenance is achieved, it is time to start making the "good" stuff.  Gotta learn to crawl before you can run!

• Like 1

The thing with CAL is it will ferment out even in a week usually - even with booster at decent temps and with the instructions saying 2 weeks, totally safe.

Later when they get to the forum and fancier brews they can do 3 weeks

RickBeer Note this!

Me thinks Mr. Beer is about to expand their lineup.   Just saying is all.

RickBeer Note this!

Me thinks Mr. Beer is about to expand their lineup.   Just saying is all.

I'm fairly sure RickBeer's response to that was something along the lines of "too complicated!"

I see now that in many of the stores if they do not have Mr B kits they have the 1 and 2 gal grain kits. There are a lot of the 1 gal out there and they are not cheap. That is in the Brewing stores and the beverage stores  and the chain stores.

I see now more of these and less of the MR B.

Mr B is in Walmart and Target, & no longer in Total wine.  

I am guessing they are looking for a new lineup for the next holiday buying season and to compete with these smaller grain brew kits.

I went with the bohiem chef beer. I think American ale would also be good. I did cal with some DME and hopped it up. It was good like tha . Now the aztec I didn't care for.

The lineup for stores for the holiday season was likely picked long ago. Product is made in Australia and shipped by sea. And stores order product many, many months out. This poll would likely affect web/phone orders way before stores.

• Like 2

RickBeer, I agree lead time to holiday market may be too much for product formulation now. Maybe this is for 2016 marketing upgrade

We are working on some new things that should be rolled out this fall/winter. Stay tuned... ;)

i'd keep it simple due to the fact most curious first timers wouldn't know any difference. however, sum do, that's y I choose either American ale or American lager. to actually be proud of a first batch/brew, classic light is for all the bud light brewers, etc,.., maybe offer to different kinds give any potential future customer the choice

I just started an American Ale for a change - have not done one in a while myself despite liking them.  But I converted it into an American Amber using  1/2 lb of Sparkling Amber DME and 0.5 oz Amarillo with a 10 min boil. I am debating if I want to dry hop it too. Probably could have used Mr B Smooth LME but I was saving that for a Mr B exact recipe. 

It took a while to get going but smells very nice while fermenting (3rd day).

ok, if I dry hop it, what to use? I can Amarillo it again, or use something else. I have a variety to choose from, but am not experienced enough to know what combines well.

Any of them but the Budweiser clone.

Nixfixit, American ale with two Smooth LME packs or a pound of Amber DME and Kent Golding hops conditioned for two months will make a nice British type ale.

• Like 1

Any of them but the Budweiser clone.

Nixfixit, American ale with two Smooth LME packs or a pound of Amber DME and Kent Golding hops conditioned for two months will make a nice British type ale.

Thanks - good to know!

My girlfriend found a Mr. Beer kit at the local Goodwill and brought it home.  There was a can of Classic American Light that came with the kit.  After checking this forum (and a couple others) I decided to beef up my brew by forsaking the supplied yeast, using Safale US-05 Ale yeast, adding Cascade hop pellets and 2 cups of honey.  Four weeks in primary, two weeks carbonation in the 1-liter Mr. Beer plastic bottles, and two days in fridge before we poured our first Honey Ale.  We were very surprised as how well the brew turned out.  Delicious!  We're hooked and have purchased a second LBK.  We'll have alternating brews of Porter, Honey Ale, and pear cider working right now.  This is too much fun!!

post-67362-0-76963600-1446663547_thumb.j

• Like 4

My girlfriend found a Mr. Beer kit at the local Goodwill and brought it home.  There was a can of Classic American Light that came with the kit.  After checking this forum (and a couple others) I decided to beef up my brew by forsaking the supplied yeast, using Safale US-05 Ale yeast, adding Cascade hop pellets and 2 cups of honey.  Four weeks in primary, two weeks carbonation in the 1-liter Mr. Beer plastic bottles, and two days in fridge before we poured our first Honey Ale.  We were very surprised as how well the brew turned out.  Delicious!  We're hooked and have purchased a second LBK.  We'll have alternating brews of Porter, Honey Ale, and pear cider working right now.  This is too much fun!!

Welcome to the community and the obsession!! :D

I missed this survey the first time around.  I guess I was on vacation at the time.  I'm the only vote for the Irish Stout I guess

how bout putting one together, put it on sale here on the website, let us the fan brewers of mr. beer brew them up, and vote. if it's a successful thumbs up, that is at least majority, then market it as your new starters brewing kit or something, advertising that u had a brewing test with the experienced fans of mr. beer.com forum, and it was a favorite with them or something something like that, blah, blah, i'm sober today, so I can't really think clearly right now

• Like 1

If the CAL is used as starter, I am OK with that if it includes booster (ok, it does - malt is good too but not essential) but It should also include 0.5 oz Cascade (or other good popular aroma hop)  for arom and a bag to put it in.  

If Mr B wanted to simplify, they would package the hops in bags already as they do the spices. The extra process to add it in a bag is not too complicated and it makes such a difference to the result.

On 8/7/2015 at 2:27 PM, TonyKZ1 said:

I would think the American Ale or American Lager would be a good one.

That way I'd know that my beer tasted like crap cause I screwed up and not because I don't know how Himalayan triple hopped burlywine wheat lager is supposed to taste.

• Like 1