Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mafifer

Bottling Wand question

So I am a few days from bottling my next batch and when I do, I will be using a bottling wand that I picked up for the first time.  My question is, I understand that I should sanitize the wand prior to bottling, however what about between bottles?  By my understanding, since the wand goes all the way into the bottle, there will be contact with the beer on the outside of the device.  After each bottle, do I need to re-sanitize the wand or is that not necessary/overdoing it?  

I would sterilize it before bottling, It is not required for each bottle.

The plungers drip at times so keep a wiper under the wand between bottles. I usually install the carb drops or sugar to all the bottles and fill around 6 at a time then cap.

Get a chair and go for it, the hardest bottle to capture is the last which will get some trub. Get a helper wife or dog etc.. to balance the LBK.

• Like 1

I would sterilize it before bottling, It is not required for each bottle.

The plungers drip at times so keep a wiper under the wand between bottles. I usually install the carb drops or sugar to all the bottles and fill around 6 at a time then cap.

Get a chair and go for it, the hardest bottle to capture is the last which will get some trub. Get a helper wife or dog etc.. to balance the LBK.

I think if I asked the wife to balance the LBK on her head she would literally Hobble me, ala Kathy Bates from Misery......or were you just saying I should ask her to hold it  :rolleyes:

I am more curious about the dog helping to hold it...

*munches popcorn*

Well we have no dog so my imaginary St. Bernard will probably just eat the damn LBK.  

Geeze, you guys havent trained your dog yet, mine helps bleed the brakes on the car. :lol:

• Like 1

When you sanitize the bottling wand and clean after you're done bottling you want to take the business end off the tube and v-e-r-y carefully remove the spring and stem.  The stem will have a v-e-r-y small rubber o-ring on it.  Again v-e-r-y carefully remove the o-ring from the stem and clean all.  A small mesh strainer works great for this task.  Just place the parts - sans the tube - into the strainer and gently run warm water over them.  Just DON'T lose any of the parts as none of them are replaceable without buying the whole bottling wand.

• Like 2

Ok so now that I know I don't need to sanitize between bottles but carefully clean the wand after I am done, I have another question.  This is my first batch I added hops to.  Prior to bottling, is it a good idea to take a pair of sanitized tongs and reach into the LBK to take the hop sack out or should I just leave it in there to avoid the aeration this may cause?  I am just concerned that it will eventually end up blocking the spigot once the levels are low and create issues.  

You can take it out if you wish. I usually take it out before cold crashing. That way it won't disturb any sediment right before bottling.

• Like 1

You can take it out if you wish. I usually take it out before cold crashing. That way it won't disturb any sediment right before bottling.

I wish I had done this, as my trub/dregs bottle has hop bits floating in it.

Those are good for you! They'll make a man out of you, put hair on your chest and make your farts smell like the taint of the Devil himself!

:D

• Like 2

I don't remember mine coming with an o-ring.  If it did I've lost it over the years.  Can anyone tell me what size it might be?

i never took my hop sack out.  . . but then I don't use a lbk so... and I don't mind hop bits.

if you sanitize your bottles before you bottle your beer... and sanitize the bottling wand before you start bottling.... youre golden.  sticking it in bottle after bottle that are already sanitized wont hurt a thing.

as was mentioned afterward you clean it.... and take it apart.  mine doesn't have an o ring either. it is a simple plastic tube...  a plastic retaining bit like a cap to an old BIC pen... pull off the cap and in it there is a black plastic plunger and a spring.  I put the tiny bits in a plastic cup to wash and rinse... dry and put it back together.  before use I run star san through it.

you always want to break it down and clean it after use. hop gunk... yeast clumps... pumpkin crud... and number of things can snag on the spring inside and become possible sources of infection if you don't. just watch the spring... it can easily get lost.

• Like 1

I don't remember mine coming with an o-ring.  If it did I've lost it over the years.  Can anyone tell me what size it might be?

It's there.  Look real closely at the little black stem.

Thats personal preference. Most of the members here that still use carb drops add them before filling. I add them after filling as I found that they would get 'stuck' on the bottom of my bottles due to the moisture of the sanitizer.

• Like 1

i never took my hop sack out.  . . but then I don't use a lbk so... and I don't mind hop bits.

if you sanitize your bottles before you bottle your beer... and sanitize the bottling wand before you start bottling.... youre golden.  sticking it in bottle after bottle that are already sanitized wont hurt a thing.

as was mentioned afterward you clean it.... and take it apart.  mine doesn't have an o ring either. it is a simple plastic tube...  a plastic retaining bit like a cap to an old BIC pen... pull off the cap and in it there is a black plastic plunger and a spring.  I put the tiny bits in a plastic cup to wash and rinse... dry and put it back together.  before use I run star san through it.

you always want to break it down and clean it after use. hop gunk... yeast clumps... pumpkin crud... and number of things can snag on the spring inside and become possible sources of infection if you don't. just watch the spring... it can easily get lost.

Mine doesn't have an o ring either. It sounds as if it is constructed like yours.

sticking it in bottle after bottle that are already sanitized wont hurt a thing.

:o  :lol:  :P

• Like 1

Well I bottled (with wand) last night and here are my comments.  First off the wand did feel at least like it made it quicker and less of a mess.  Secondly, when I got down to the trub, my final bottle (which was not full) came out super cloudy and kinda gross looking, honestly probably won't even keep it but I prepped it so what the hell.  The batch was howling red and while all the previous bottles looked like dark liquid thru the brown plastic bottles, this one was visibly light colored (almost like pea soup).  Not sure if I just got super high amount of trub in that bottle or what but when I then pulled the hop sack out, it had some sort of sludge material covering the outside of it.  It was frankly kind of gross.  

This is my third batch and this last bottle made me want to try and cold crash the next batch.  My only issue there is our fridge is super small (side by side with much larger freezer), and it's generally full.  I do not think the wife is going to agree to let me park the LBK in there for 3 days (especially because I will have to completely re-arrange the fridge to do it).  We also don't have the space for a mini fridge elsewhere in the house for me to do it in so I am sort of out of luck for doing a CC.  

When I bottled my first 2 batches, there was not nearly as much trub/gunk as there was in this batch.  Was a lot of this due to the added hops?  It was my first hopped batch so I don't really know if they were the culprit for the extra nasty stuff.  

Well I bottled (with wand) last night and here are my comments.  First off the wand did feel at least like it made it quicker and less of a mess.  Secondly, when I got down to the trub, my final bottle (which was not full) came out super cloudy and kinda gross looking, honestly probably won't even keep it but I prepped it so what the hell.  The batch was howling red and while all the previous bottles looked like dark liquid thru the brown plastic bottles, this one was visibly light colored (almost like pea soup).  Not sure if I just got super high amount of trub in that bottle or what but when I then pulled the hop sack out, it had some sort of sludge material covering the outside of it.  It was frankly kind of gross.  

Definitely keep the final bottle, its beer. Mark it as the last bottle to remind yourself to pour very carefully when it comes time to drink it. When you place the bottles into the fridge for 3 days to chill and allow the co2 to become fully absorbed, that mini trub that is in that bottle will settle out and start to compact on the bottom of the bottle (sort of a mini cold crash).

The sludge material on the hop sack was probably from the krausen that formed during fermentation, yeast and their byproducts. Totally normal. Did you taste the beer before bottling? Did it taste like flat beer or did it have an "off" taste? If it tasted like flat beer you're golden!

Definitely keep the final bottle, its beer. Mark it as the last bottle to remind yourself to pour very carefully when it comes time to drink it. When you place the bottles into the fridge for 3 days to chill and allow the co2 to become fully absorbed, that mini trub that is in that bottle will settle out and start to compact on the bottom of the bottle (sort of a mini cold crash).

The sludge material on the hop sack was probably from the krausen that formed during fermentation, yeast and their byproducts. Totally normal. Did you taste the beer before bottling? Did it taste like flat beer or did it have an "off" taste? If it tasted like flat beer you're golden!

Oh it tasted great, could definitely taste/smell the hops so I am not concerned about the taste being worried.  I was simply grossed out by the appearance of that bottle and even the nastiness left in the bottling wand (till I cleaned it).  I actually don't mind drinking the trub/dregs of a beer.  I buy a lot of unfiltered beers and I pour vigorously as hell not at all caring about what I know will be at the bottom of my glass.  

Oh it tasted great, could definitely taste/smell the hops so I am not concerned about the taste being worried. I was simply grossed out by the appearance of that bottle and even the nastiness left in the bottling wand (till I cleaned it). I actually don't mind drinking the trub/dregs of a beer. I buy a lot of unfiltered beers and I pour vigorously as hell not at all caring about what I know will be at the bottom of my glass.

Cool!

I am not a trub lover either, The last bottle usually gets dinked instead of drinked.

In the future compute OG readings volume and total volume of desired batch, Add enough water to properly brewed recipe to accomadate the volume and all bottles are full.

This will put the trub on the wey side. Basic recipes might suffer a bit but the more complex malts will be great. Some reuse the trub for favorable yeast cultures in the next batch, I am not there yet!!

An extra 10-12 oz average unless you check the gravity daily.

My 2 cents, M

This is where some people just have different tastes.  I have, in the past, went ahead and filled each bottle up 7/8 of the way and then went back and gave each one a little bit of that ending.  Other times I have just put it all into that last bottle.  Later when you are enjoying your hard work, you can usually see how much is sitting at the bottom and know if you pour slowly you can avoid it if you don't like it.  I end up using it with our beer bread that we have (except I am going low carb right now as I have had one too many beer breads) but also throw that beer in the beer brats and hamburgers next to the grill.  Never waste it  :P

• Like 2