Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Creeps McLane

Questions from a newb

Here's the questions that run through my head during the day as I try to focus at my normal 9-5.

1) I saw the thread on the cider beers however I didn't see anyone ask if you can use the LBK for the cider mixes. There's a separate keg for the ciders, is that necessary?

2) why MUST I use a stainless steel boiling pot? I have one but I don't have two and I feel that two will be necessary at some point.

3) Is all grain brewing cheaper than with the extracts? Obviously each recipe is different but I'm saying same beer brewed two different ways. Which is cheaper?

4) is there somewhere on the MB website that has 6 gallon recipes? I haven't seen it

5) if I condition in Amber bottles and the LBK is brown, why is the brew max line clear? Are my lights in the basement harming my beer at this very moment?

6) how do I spend $50 on that Johnson controls thermostat for my mini fridge with out my wife finding out? Does she have any idea how awesome that thing is?!? I could fit my LBK and 6 gal fermenter in there!

Maybe these all could have been seperate threads...

1) Same is fine.

2) Never needed two in 3 years...

3) Yes, all grain is cheaper INGREDIENTS, but expensive equipment.

4) 3 cans or 3x ingredients. Site should be better designed to go with product.

5) It's cloudy and screens UV.

6) Build your own for $30.

• Like 1

additional:

all grain is cheaper because with extracts you are paying for someone else to do most of the work for you.  as mentioned... extra equipment is required with ag. extra math and science because of having to balance your water chemistry.  takes longer because you have to mash...sparge... etc.  but... if youre willing to make an initial investment and put the extra work in, you can save money.  with extracts someone at the company takes the grain, mashes it.... sparges it... boils it.... reduces it.... puts it in nice little cans and bottles for you and you just add water and stir like instant soup.

re light:  normal house light wont skunk beer. UV light does .  some house lights like certain CFL lights emit UV radiation.  incandescent bulbs do not.  so unless your fermenter is sitting in sunlight... or under a UV emitting lamp.... it will be fine in a clear fermenter. 

• Like 1

6) how do I spend $50 on that Johnson controls thermostat for my mini fridge with out my wife finding out? Does she have any idea how awesome that thing is?!? I could fit my LBK and 6 gal fermenter in there!

Borrow a friend's Lamborghini and park it in the drive.  Tell her you just bought it.  When she flips out about the cost, say, "just kidding! But I did buy a $50 thermostat, which is no where NEAR the cost of a Lambo!"

• Like 4

Borrow a friend's Lamborghini and park it in the drive.  Tell her you just bought it.  When she flips out about the cost, say, "just kidding! But I did buy a $50 thermostat, which is no where NEAR the cost of a Lambo!"

or you could get a Porche and be all Jake Ryan-like for her...

Jake-Ryan.jpg

Side note, and totally not trying to de-rail the thread, but I saw there was a band called the Molly Ringwald's coming to a nearby town tomorrow night.  They're an "80s experience" band. Thinking about going.

• Like 1

additional:

all grain is cheaper because with extracts you are paying for someone else to do most of the work for you.  as mentioned... extra equipment is required with ag. extra math and science because of having to balance your water chemistry.  takes longer because you have to mash...sparge... etc.  but... if youre willing to make an initial investment and put the extra work in, you can save money.  with extracts someone at the company takes the grain, mashes it.... sparges it... boils it.... reduces it.... puts it in nice little cans and bottles for you and you just add water and stir like instant soup.

re light:  normal house light wont skunk beer. UV light does .  some house lights like certain CFL lights emit UV radiation.  incandescent bulbs do not.  so unless your fermenter is sitting in sunlight... or under a UV emitting lamp.... it will be fine in a clear fermenter.

Don't have to have a ton of equipment. I brew AG with my pot, a bottling bucket, and a 5gal food grade bucket from lowe's

true , you can make things as simple or complicated as you wish.  I'm trying to build a 50 qt cooler mash tun.. a manifold ... etc...   ive invested in chemicals for balancing.. a nice little gram scale etc etc etc...

or you can just use a large pot with a lid and a bag and do brew in a bag... and forego the chemistry and such.

me? ive always preferred to over complicate things.