Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Creeps McLane

Yup I did it wrong

So I went to the homebrew store and picked up some malt extract and brewed it up. I did everything right, as far as I know. The problem is that I bought pure malt extract and didn't hop it. Drinking it right now and it is sweet as sweet can be. I fermented it for three weeks and took an early sneak peek at two weeks conditioning. So my question... Is it so sweet because the hops never bittered it, or is it sweet beacuse I didn't ferment it long enough? Traditional dark ale

I added yeast. If I'm completely honest I don't know what kind it was and it sat in my truck for a week. Probably some 80 degree days plus or minus. Dont remember seeing krausen because I never checked.

I'm willing to bet the heat killed the yeast and it didn't ferment. Even without hops, it shouldn't be sweet after 3 weeks.

Thank you, learning curve I guess. Batch two might be a sink beer. I was going to let it sit a few months and see if it was any better. Sounds like I'm dumping it

Have to ask. You're on the Mr. Beer forum asking about your first batch which isn't made with Mr. Beer HMEs. Are you brewing in a Mr. Beer fermenter? Why aren't you using a recipe?

Come on Rick, lots of folks get 5gal HMEs and split 'em. Also(and not because it's my job now) MrB or not, new brewer needing help. Wouldn't be right not to answer(not like I brew MrB anymore). I sold a 2 gal Abby ale HME to a member of this forum today.

Second batch. Picked up some extract because I thought I had it all figured out. Batch three and four in the fermenters right now are CAL and the winter dark ale. Are you still excited about the dented cans? I assure you im not here with bad intentions

• Like 1

Come on Rick, lots of folks get 5gal HMEs and split 'em. Also(and not because it's my job now) MrB or not, new brewer needing help. Wouldn't be right not to answer(not like I brew MrB anymore). I sold a 2 gal Abby ale HME to a member of this forum today.

Not HMEs. LME, no hops.

Second batch. Picked up some extract because I thought I had it all figured out. Batch three and four in the fermenters right now are CAL and the winter dark ale. Are you still excited about the dented cans? I assure you im not here with bad intentions

Not questioning your intentions, wondering why a brand new brewer is trying to brew from scratch, without recipes, and asking on Mr Beer forum.

Winter Dark is excellent. CAL is not. Read, and learn from your mistakes.

My first batch was CAL and my dad really liked it (blatz drinker) so I decided to make another batch as a social beer.

You see what happened is I thought all cans of extract were the same. I'm new, pardon my ignorance. I'm just here to learn. I read the forums daily and every post and every new batch teaches me so much. I'll be a MB brewer for a long time.

• Like 1

HME - hopped malt extract

LME - liquid malt extract - UNHOPPED

DME - dry malt extract - UNHOPPED

Even an all grain or wheat deserves a bit of hopping. The LME is almost a sugar adjunct by itself.

LME is one of the best taste and ABV boosters to formal HME recipes. Hopping only makes it a true HME.

Blatz is like Shlitz light? PBR. It sounds like Rat poison.

Get Dad some real recipe cooking and you will be the best

• Like 2

Do you have an hydrometer? You can tell if it fermented or not by checking the specific gravity. If it is about 1.050 or thereabouts it never fermented. If it is about 1.010 or thereabouts then it did ...

Blatz is like Shlitz light? PBR. It sounds like Rat poison.

Hey! I like Schlitz. I wish I could still get it around here.

Not HMEs. LME, no hops.

I got that. I wear glasses so I ain't blind

Not questioning your intentions, wondering why a brand new brewer is trying to brew from scratch, without recipes, and asking on Mr Beer forum.

Winter Dark is excellent. CAL is not. Read, and learn from your mistakes.

As I did my 4th batch??? As a matter of fact, the Borg helped me with my first recipe, and it was a partial mash.

As you are drinking it, is it carbed?  That would indicate that the yeast wasn't dead (assuming you are bottle conditioning and not kegging here).  An all-malt, but no hops (or other bittering agents) beer would indeed be sweet.  Hops offset the sweetness of the residual unfermentable sugars in the extract/wort.   If the bitterness is too low (or non-existent) in the wort, the beer often will have a very malty, sweet or grainy profile.  I'm thinking that's what you are describing here.

You aren't blaming the random yeast pack stored inside a truck for a week?  I guess dried yeast gets shipped in hot freight trucks all the time.

I'm with Gopher...  the new Schlitz, which is really the old Schlitz (Pabst has been brewing their "classic '60's formula" since '07ish) is really quite good (in comparison to other American Pale Lagers).  If I'm in the mood for a good lawnmower beer, it's either that or Hap and Harry's for me.  Unfortunately, Pabst pulled it out of our market over the last year or so...

I dont want to pick on someones favorite brew, One mans poison is another mans pleasure.

There used to be some favorable non premium beers. I used to get Shaefer once in a while but Lowenbreau, Bud and Michelob were always on the weekend with friends.

Cheers

You aren't blaming the random yeast pack stored inside a truck for a week?  I guess dried yeast gets shipped in hot freight trucks all the time.

Believe me, it's happened to me before. I live in Arizona and have left yeast in my vehicle before. It didn't work. This won't always happen, but it can. Also, a lot of freight from BSG, Brewcraft, and many of the other huge homebrew supply distributors sometimes ship in temperature controlled environments such as refrigerated trucks or they use ice packs during shipping.

I dont want to pick on someones favorite brew, One mans poison is another mans pleasure.

There used to be some favorable non premium beers. I used to get Shaefer once in a while but Lowenbreau, Bud and Michelob were always on the weekend with friends.

Cheers

I have found memories of Michelob.  When we graduated Navy bootcamp, our limo driver bought a case for us (we were under-aged, don't tell!) and we were all excited about being off base and going to Chicago.  I made everyone (I think 10 of us were crammed in the limo) shut up and I said, "listen!" and cracked open the first beer.  We all smiled and let out a collective  "ahhhhhh."  I can STILL hear the sound of that sweet sweet beer being opened some 25+ years later.....

• Like 2

Yea, And I suddenly found a better reason to drink Hieneken, (free bottles) :)

Only can not find the dark version,, Lowenbreau Dark was good as well. Like a sweet Becks.

Cheers