Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sdrake

That Voodoo That You Do

I can highly recommend the "That Voodoo That You Do" recipe.  I bottled it 3 weeks ago and had to try a bottle even though it should have more conditioning.  It's the first recipe that I've done that uses brown sugar.  I really like what the brown sugar does in it.  It gives it a little drier taste, but it also gives it somewhat of a molasses taste that's not overwhelming and just there in the background.  I like it and look forward to drinking more as it conditions longer. 

• Like 5

I just bottled up a batch,gonna let it sit until November.starting a winter dark ale tomorrow.

Rocket's Red Glare is basically the same thing, with some cascade hops.  probably my favorite so far.  super balance.  

• Like 1

I really like it, too.  I have two bottles let from a Jan. brewing.  Just keeps getting better!  Hold on to most of it as long as you can because it just keeps getting better.

Silly question as I just got my Voodoo kit and plan to mix it this coming Sunday . . .  Light or dark brown sugar. Does it make any difference?

If  you've never brewed with brown sugar before, go with light. Dark has more molasses in it, and that flavour will be left behind after fermentation. Some like it, some do not, so I say for a first time, go easy.

• Like 1

I used light and detected no molasses taste.

I think I used dark and I like it.  But I really don't remember.

Well, the wort is in the LBK now. I patiently await the long fermentation process. That brings me to my next question for the experts (anybody with more experience than me, lol). I've read fermentation takes one to two months. My LBK will sitting in a cooler at about 72 -75 degrees. What do you recommend the time to be?

Recommended time for fermenting is 3 weeks. Since you have the LBK in a cooler, there is no reason not to add a couple bottles of frozen water to get those temps down - I am assuming you mean 72-75° ambient air temperature, and the wort can get 5-10 degrees warmer than ambient while it is working, which is too warm even for Mr. Beer yeast. Try getting ambient air temps down to the 62-65° range in the cooler, your beer will be better off for it.

• Like 1

Well, the wort is in the LBK now. I patiently await the long fermentation process. That brings me to my next question for the experts (anybody with more experience than me, lol). I've read fermentation takes one to two months. My LBK will sitting in a cooler at about 72 -75 degrees. What do you recommend the time to be?

I think you read that conditioning, not fermentation, takes 1 to 2 months.

Drinking the Voodoo tonight.  Bottled on 6/26, so almost four months conditioning.  Wow.  Good stuff. 

• Like 3

So I'm coming up on 2 weeks of having my Voodoo in my LBK. I see people writing about 3 weeks fermentation time. Should I let it go another week before taking a sample?

The great majority of us around here recommend a three-week fermentation.  Be patient, and you will be rewarded.   :)

• Like 2

Anyone know of a good final hydrometer reading for bottling day, or any hydrometer readings (OG or FG)?

Friday will mark 3-weeks fermenting this beer. OG was 1.060, today O got a 1.022... that an ABV of 4.9 (I think). How can I, or can I increase the ABV to something in the 7 range like the recipe states?

IMG_0315.JPG

7 minutes ago, dhud64 said:

Friday will mark 3-weeks fermenting this beer. OG was 1.060, today O got a 1.022... that an ABV of 4.9 (I think). How can I, or can I increase the ABV to something in the 7 range like the recipe states?

Not if you already made the beer. Once it's made, you cannot alter it. 1.022 is a bit high. Did you boil the wort? Your yeast may have also stopped fermenting for some reason. I usually get around 1.065 - 1.070 OG and 1.015 - 1.018 FG when making this recipe. Don't forget about your hydrometer temperature corrections.

5 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Not if you already made the beer. Once it's made, you cannot alter it. 1.022 is a bit high. Did you boil the wort? Your yeast may have also stopped fermenting for some reason. I usually get around 1.065 - 1.070 OG and 1.015 - 1.018 FG when making this recipe. Don't forget about your hydrometer temperature corrections.

Thanks Josh. I did forget the temperature corrections, but will check again.

I did make one mistake when boiling the wort... I forgot to add the LME! I discovered it right after adding the yeast, so I then boiled a small amount of water, added the LME, did a quick cool, surrounding pan with ice water, poured into the wort, and gave a light stir. DOH! :unsure:

Are you sure your reading is 1.022?  It looks like (from the picture) your hydrometer is covered in bubbles from the beer.  Be sure to spin the hydrometer right before you take a reading so that the bubbles do not affect the reading.  If indeed I am seeing it right, your reading will be lower than 1.022.

Even considering that your reading is high.  Which yeast did you use, how much did you use and at what temperature?

12 hours ago, dhud64 said:

Thanks Josh. I did forget the temperature corrections, but will check again.

I did make one mistake when boiling the wort... I forgot to add the LME! I discovered it right after adding the yeast, so I then boiled a small amount of water, added the LME, did a quick cool, surrounding pan with ice water, poured into the wort, and gave a light stir. DOH! :unsure:

Boiling the wort IS a mistake! This could be why your gravity ended so high. Boiling the wort will caramelize the sugars, rendering them unfermentable, which will result in a high FG. You're supposed to remove the boiling water from the heat, then add the HME/LME. Stir to dissolve, and add to the fermenter.

What you did with the LME was ok, though. It's when the yeast are busy fermenting that you don't want to disturb them. At that point, they hadn't even rehydrated yet.

10 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

Are you sure your reading is 1.022?  It looks like (from the picture) your hydrometer is covered in bubbles from the beer.  Be sure to spin the hydrometer right before you take a reading so that the bubbles do not affect the reading.  If indeed I am seeing it right, your reading will be lower than 1.022.

Even considering that your reading is high.  Which yeast did you use, how much did you use and at what temperature?

I can't seem to get the bubbles off the hydrometer, even after spinning. I just took another reading (no bubbles), but got 1.012

I used the yeast that came in the kit, all of it, and not sure of temp. I followed directions other than forgetting the LME!

6 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Boiling the wort IS a mistake! This could be why your gravity ended so high. Boiling the wort will caramelize the sugars, rendering them unfermentable, which will result in a high FG. You're supposed to remove the boiling water from the heat, then add the HME/LME. Stir to dissolve, and add to the fermenter.

What you did with the LME was ok, though. It's when the yeast are busy fermenting that you don't want to disturb them. At that point, they hadn't even rehydrated yet.

My bad, Josh, I did remove from heat first! New reading today was 1.012. Think I'll take another tomorrow and see where I am at. Thank you!

• Like 1

1.012 sounds more like it, especially with the OG you started with.

• Like 1

I just made first batch of Voodoo......and screwed up.

I added to much water to the wort in the LBK. It is over the LBK 2 gal mark by about half inch. Don't ask me how, but I did.

Is this going to be a big bust? I know it will probably foam up through the lid during fermentation.

1 hour ago, poker_run said:

I just made first batch of Voodoo......and screwed up.

I added to much water to the wort in the LBK. It is over the LBK 2 gal mark by about half inch. Don't ask me how, but I did.

Is this going to be a big bust? I know it will probably foam up through the lid during fermentation.

No. It will not be a big bust. Will have less ABV.....a bit lighter taste possibly. But I am betting it will still be really good.

It might not even foam up through. I purposefully overfilled one of my early batches and it did not spill over.

Chin up brewer! Always stay positive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrWhy said:

No. It will not be a big bust. Will have less ABV.....a bit lighter taste possibly. But I am betting it will still be really good.

It might not even foam up through. I purposefully overfilled one of my early batches and it did not spill over.

Chin up brewer! Always stay positive.

MrWhy-

Thanks for the positive info and easing my mind.

New to brewing and making mistakes are a bummer, but glad it is most part forgiving......

I figured it wouldn't change much, but as you said will have less ABV. 

Looking forward to getting a taste of this!

• Like 1