Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sdrake

First Overflow

I just had my first LBK overflow at 30 hours into fermentation.  I'm making the API IPA recipe using the dented-can variety of the Diablo IPA HME.

When I opened up the cooler to change the frozen ice bottles, I saw my LBK was sitting in a small puddle of brown liquid.  My first reaction was that my LBK was leaking, but then I noticed the foam coming out of the top of the LBK and down the one side.

This is my 21st batch of Mr. Beer beer and my first overflow.  The API IPA has the Diablo IPA HME (I used the dented can variety) and an American Ale HME and is only to make 7.7% ABV beer.  I've made a few recipes that are a higher ABV, but no overflow.  But with my previous recipes with a higher intended ABV, I took the temperature in the cooler down to around 60F for the first few days.  This time I took the cooler down to about 65F.  I did have the lid a quarter turn loose to allow CO2 to escape.

From what I've read on here, the overflow isn't an issue and my beer should still be good.  I cleaned it up the best I can.  I don't know if the Diablo IPA HME is more prone to overflows than other HMEs or whether using my dented can (on the seam) is an issue.

post-64607-0-58773600-1439763405_thumb.j

If you were watching it the whole time it would not bubble over.  I think you should get an internet camera hooked to your phone so you can be in constant contact.

If you were watching it the whole time it would not bubble over.  I think you should get an internet camera hooked to your phone so you can be in constant contact.

Mr. Beer should be selling "Beer cams".  Tagline "For the true Beer Perv in everyone".  

Edit - if you do start selling them, I get a cut for suggesting the tagline...

• Like 1