Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ZenLunatic7

I'm in no 'condition' for this...

Ok, so these posts are becoming more like a blog than a question per se, but I like to document my process to make sure I'm doing it right!

I cold crashed for 48hr. The first test draw was clear.  The taste had a molasses flavor, which seems to be expected with 3 year past good by date HME. 

I bought apricot extract.  The bottle said add 0.25% per volume. I have 500ml bottles, and my advanced math skills calculated that to 12.5ml per bottle.  Since I wasn't filling up all 500ml, I cut it back to 10ml.  I tried 10ml in a Sam Adams Cold Snap, and it was a nice addition.  Not overpowering at all, but a very subtle add to flavor.

I got a bottling wand but it didn't fit on the old spigot, so I pulled up a chair, another Cold Snap w/ flavor, and started to fill (after sanitizing, of course).  I did 4 bottles at a time, filling to about where the bottle goes from straight to inward curve.  I put in a carbo drop in each. Wasn't sure how to do this, as I didn't think I should touch them. So at first, I tried to use a sanitized funnel, but the hole was too small.  So I tried to carefully push one out through the bag.  This mostly worked. I only missed one or two times, and just used another drop.   After the drop, I added the 10ml of extract (using a sanitized dosage cup) though the funnel, capped it, and inverted slowly.    I

I only had enough extract for 8 bottles, so the first 8 got it, and the last 8 didn't.  I marked the part of the box they first 8 were in so I would know when it comes time.

I still had some left in the LBK and no where to put it, so I had to dump it out.  First batch, old HME, no big loss, but I won't be doing that again.  Got the LBK nice and clean with clear hand soap and put up to dry.  Stuck my bottle box in a cool dark place.  Now it's a waiting game!  I'll check carbonation in a few weeks using the squeeze test.

I DO have a new kit waiting to be brewed, but I might wait a week or so to get that process started.

That all seem about right?

Bottling wand won't fit on an LBK, whether old or new spigot (they are the same size).  You need a short (or long, your preference) piece of hose that fits over the spigot and fits over the wand (same size) for the newer spigot, for the very old push button spigot you would need a bigger hose that connects to a smaller hose.  Of course the older spigot requires you to hold the button the entire time, which negates the bottling wand's value...

Bottles should be filled more than you did, but no issue.  Carb drop gets added first, but again, no issue.  Wash your hands, add carb drop.  No sanitized anything needed.

Any beer extract I've seen is for 5 gallons, so if you only had enough for 8 bottles then you likely used something else.  However, your math skills appeared to have failed you.  0.25% is 0.0025.  0.0025 x 500 ml = 1.25 ml, not 12.50.  So it APPEARS you used 10 times the extract needed.  APPEARS.  Some extract comes in 4 oz bottles, for 5 gallons, and that would work out to roughly the size you had. 

16 1/2 liter bottles = 270.4 oz, which is basically exactly what you should get out of an LBK.  If you had extra, then the reason is you used too much water to start with.  Although you could be talking about the layer of trub on the bottom, and you don't want to add that.  If you had a few ounces, that's normal.  If you had a bottle or more, that's not.  In the future, you can drink it flat.  If you dump beer, you will be banned from the forum.  This is your first strike...   :o

Your bottles should be in a warm place, ideally 70 or higher.  Storing them in a cool place takes longer to carb.  Too cool and they won't carb - you want mid 60s at least.  

One down, time to get more bottles!

• Like 2

Bottling wand won't fit on an LBK, whether old or new spigot (they are the same size).  You need a short (or long, your preference) piece of hose that fits over the spigot and fits over the wand (same size).

It came with an adapter piece of hose. Still didn't fit!

Bottles should be filled more than you did, but no issue.  Carb drop gets added first, but again, no issue.  Wash your hands, add carb drop.  No sanitized anything needed.

Yeah, I figured. Just wanted to be safe!   I also read where others put in drops first and they got stuck to the bottom, so I thought I'd try after.

Any beer extract I've seen is for 5 gallons, so if you only had enough for 8 bottles then you likely used something else.  However, your math skills appeared to have failed you.  0.25% is 0.0025.  0.0025 x 500 ml = 1.25 ml, not 12.50.  So it APPEARS you used 10 times the extract needed.  APPEARS.  Some extract comes in 4 oz bottles, for 5 gallons, and that would work out to roughly the size you had. 

ANDDD... this is why I got a degree in English!

It WAS a 4oz bottle.  Are you some kind of wizard?

16 1/2 liter bottles = 270.4 oz, which is basically exactly what you should get out of an LBK.  If you had extra, then the reason is you used too much water to start with.  Although you could be talking about the layer of trub on the bottom, and you don't want to add that.  If you had a few ounces, that's normal.  If you had a bottle or more, that's not.  In the future, you can drink it flat.  If you dump beer, you will be banned from the forum.  This is your first strike...   :o

Did I say dumped?  Stupid autocorrect. I meant DRANK!!  :lol:

I thought maybe the little bit of extra was because I didn't fill the bottles up as much as I should have.   Water was right at the correct mark when I started bottling.

Your bottles should be in a warm place, ideally 70 or higher.  Storing them in a cool place takes longer to carb.  Too cool and they won't carb - you want mid 60s at least.  

One down, time to get more bottles!

I'm in the heart of the swamp Florida.  Cool here is in the 70s.  Where they are will probably be 75 or slightly higher.

Already collecting more bottles for the next go.  Probably start it next week or so!

Thanks for the input!

Wash your hands, add carb drop.  No sanitized anything needed.

Hehe....   :D

I think the tendency of telling people to sanitize, sanitize, sanitize really throws most for a loop in cases where, simple practices are really enough...

"first, I sanitizes my tongs and the outside of the bag of carb drops.. then I gently grasped each carb drop, putting one into each bottle, make sure to avoid touching the mouth of the bottle... which I sanitized as well... when finished, I sat everything under intense UV light for 3 hours... "

rule of thumb:  wash thumb.  :)

• Like 1

Hehe....   :D

I think the tendency of telling people to sanitize, sanitize, sanitize really throws most for a loop in cases where, simple practices are really enough...

"first, I sanitizes my tongs and the outside of the bag of carb drops.. then I gently grasped each carb drop, putting one into each bottle, make sure to avoid touching the mouth of the bottle... which I sanitized as well... when finished, I sat everything under intense UV light for 3 hours... "

rule of thumb:  wash thumb.   :)

Oh I contemplated the sanitized tongs!  :D

It came with an adapter piece of hose. Still didn't fit!

Yeah, I figured. Just wanted to be safe!   I also read where others put in drops first and they got stuck to the bottom, so I thought I'd try after.

ANDDD... this is why I got a degree in English!

It WAS a 4oz bottle.  Are you some kind of wizard?

Actually, I was wrong on the hose (for those keeping track, that's 2...).

The OLD spigot is different (I have 2, just looked).  No, the hose won't fit over the push button spigot.  No, the bottling wand won't work with it unless you get a bigger hose, and then taper down to a smaller hose.

Yes, I am a wizard.   :lol:   You did put about 10x the normal extract in each bottle.  Be prepared for a strong flavor.   :blink:

Yes, I am a wizard.   :lol:   You did put about 10x the normal extract in each bottle.  Be prepared for a strong flavor.   :blink:

360px-Are-you-a-wizard.jpg

It wasn't strong in my Sammy.   Will the flavor come out more during conditioning?

• Like 1

I would expect so. 

I think the correct math is 4 oz for 640 oz of beer, so you are 5x too strong, not 10, since you did 1/5th of the amount.

I would expect so. 

I think the correct math is 4 oz for 640 oz of beer, so you are 5x too strong, not 10, since you did 1/5th of the amount.

I'll know in a month!

the bottling wand adapter is a very tight fit, u should wet the opening with a little bit of vegetable oil and work it on the spignot/wand. once it fits it'll be a little tough to remove for cleaning but at least it'll be set to the expansion size u need.

I had one of the older Mr. Beer keg nozzles, I believe it has a 5/8" od  outlet.

The newer bottling wand from Mr. Beer comes with a new nozzle for the LBK and a 1/2" od outlet. All compatible.

I had one of the older Mr. Beer keg nozzles, I believe it has a 5/8" od  outlet.

The newer bottling wand from Mr. Beer comes with a new nozzle for the LBK and a 1/2" od outlet. All compatible.

It's moot at this point as I bought the wand/spigot combo so I didn't have to use that push style anymore :)