Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
steinp2

Will I Die?

Okay, I haven't brewed for a very long time, like eight years, and am wanting to get back into it.  I bought two Beer Mix Refill "3 Mix Variety Packs" a long time ago.  They say "Best Before July and August 2009".  The storage conditions in those intervening years were not the best, and the cans went through some pretty hot cycles in the garage down here in Southern California.  The cans are all intact.  However, they're all very slightly convex on both ends.  I forgot if that was normal.  A couple cans are downright bulging with the ability to press one of the ends in.  In addition, the booster packs are rock solid, deformed blocks.  So, is there a chance of botulism in any of these.  I am a cheap sucker, and am willing to try stuff as long as it won't kill me.  I did buy fresh yeast.  Let me know your thoughts.

even if the cans were not damaged, bulging or deformed in any way... making beer with cans 6 years past their best by date would likely result in utter crap. mind you that is the best buy date . they were likely made 2 years prior so you are talking very very old hme.

now factor in improper storage and damaged cans... and yes you are looking to give yourself and others botulism.

I think you already knew this but are looking for someone to give you the okay to be stupid and make yourself incredibly ill if not dead.  google all the lovely things just botulism can do to you.  if you still think it worth the risk ... it's your life. I am not your mom.

• Like 1

My first and last post

those bulging cans so tempting

my own best before

a haiku in memory of steinp2, we hardly knew ya

• Like 5

Do not use the cans. Bulging cans should never be used no matter what type of food is in them. Throw them out.

• Like 2

Put all three HMEs in one batch, and leave the finished beers around for your beer-stealing "buddies" to find.

devil.gif

• Like 1

Thank you for all the replies thus far regarding my future.  The bulging cans are gone.  I'm still looking to experiment, however, if safe.  (I don't believe in expiration dates.)  So, are cans normally slightly convex or should they be just like your typical cans of soup or tomatoes, perfectly flat?  Also, what about the rock solid booster packs?  Can they be dissolved if boiled long enough and used?  

The cans are not supposed to be convex. If they are, DON'T USE THEM!!! Your cans are contaminated and should NOT be used under ANY circumstances!!

• Like 1

Thank you for all the replies thus far regarding my future.  The bulging cans are gone.  I'm still looking to experiment, however, if safe.  (I don't believe in expiration dates.)  So, are cans normally slightly convex or should they be just like your typical cans of soup or tomatoes, perfectly flat?  Also, what about the rock solid booster packs?  Can they be dissolved if boiled long enough and used?  

Convex cans = bulging cans. Concave cans = puckered cans. Your cans should look like any cans from the store. -_-

• Like 2

Although the botulinum toxin is destroyed by thorough cooking over the course of a few minutes,[21][22] the spore itself is not killed by the temperatures reached with normal sea-level-pressure boiling, leaving it free to grow and again produce the toxin when conditions are right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botulism

• Like 1

I had a rock solid booster in mine.  Tossed it out from advice gotten from here.  I did read in one of the booklets that came with my kit that you can do 1/2 booster + 3/4 cup of honey.  Anyone know if you can just do straight up honey to replace booster?  I saw it in the horse's ass ale recipe too.   Might try that one down the line here.

You probably want to do some reading about what different adjuncts do for a beer.  You do NOT want to replace booster with honey.  For that matter, you don't want to use booster instead of LME or DME...

Honey does NOT impart any noticeable honey flavor.  It raises ABV, and it dries the beer out.  The White House brews - White House Honey Ale and White House Honey Porter - use honey.  They are good, not great brews.  I am probably replacing the porter with a clone of Great Lake's Edmund Fitzgerald Porter.  

• Like 3

Thanks all.  Everything got tossed  :( (too bad the list of emoticons doesn't have ones with tears).  So much potential, just GONE…  :(

• Like 1

Better than your potential gone I'd say.  Don't worry there's plenty plenty of malt in the world and with falling commodities prices I'm sure we'll see more Mr. Beer sales. [hint hint]

• Like 1