Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sabres032

Turning Winter Dark Ale into Spiced Christmas Ale

So just a thought. I have two cans of the Winter Dark Ale in the que and was wondering if I were to ferment with the T-58 yeast and a sack of mulling spices would I make a close clone of the discontinued Spiced Christmas Ale?

T-58 sounds like an excellent choice for a spiced beer. I would try to keep to the lower end of the recommended fermentation temperature range. 

• Like 2

T-58 sounds like an excellent choice for a spiced beer. I would try to keep to the lower end of the recommended fermentation temperature range. 

I agree. Too warm and it may create fruity flavors that won't go too well with the spices. But at the lower end, it should create spicy esters that will compliment your spices.

• Like 2

This is original recipe - it uses standard yeast. But you may get some extra zip with T-58 as Josh says. It is used for the Belgian one.

1 can Winter Dark Ale

1 pkt yeast (under lid)

1 LME Softpack Robust

1 pkt 0.5 oz Tettnanger Hops pellet

1 Hop sack

1 No rinse Cleanser

You add

1 Tbsp Mulling spices

1/2 tsp Pure Almond Extract

Sterilize equipment and soak Malt can/softpack in hot water.

Boil the 4 cups water

Put hops and spices in muslin bag, put bag and almond extract in water

Add HME/LME to water mixture

Proceed to brew as normal.

I have a winter dark ale up next and was thinking of making a winter dark coffee ale using fresh ground cold brewed coffee at the bottling stage. Just trying to figure out which yeast would be best for the task.

• Like 1

I agree. Too warm and it may create fruity flavors that won't go too well with the spices. But at the lower end, it should create spicy esters that will compliment your spices.

I thought I read somewhere on the forum that higher brewing temps with the T-58 yeast gave the spice flavor?

This is original recipe - it uses standard yeast. But you may get some extra zip with T-58 as Josh says. It is used for the Belgian one.

1 can Winter Dark Ale

1 pkt yeast (under lid)

1 LME Softpack Robust

1 pkt 0.5 oz Tettnanger Hops pellet

1 Hop sack

1 No rinse Cleanser

You add

1 Tbsp Mulling spices

1/2 tsp Pure Almond Extract

Sterilize equipment and soak Malt can/softpack in hot water.

Boil the 4 cups water

Put hops and spices in muslin bag, put bag and almond extract in water

Add HME/LME to water mixture

Proceed to brew as normal.

That sounds good too. I have two cans dark winter ale, two robust soft packs LME on hand. I was just going to ferment with the T-58 yeast and some mulling spices. I'll take your suggestion with 1 Tbs spices.

I thought I read somewhere on the forum that higher brewing temps with the T-58 yeast gave the spice flavor?

you did...

http://community.mrbeer.com/topic/34054-krazy-krausen/?p=421502

**edit

well, to be fair, he is saying the flavoring at the higher range will not go well with the mulling spices... not that there *isn't* flavor at higher temps.  

• Like 1

I too picked up some of the WDA when it was on sale.  I paired it with a number of LMEs and intend to do the Black Moon Rising recipe:  http://www.mrbeer.com/black-moon-rising-recipe

and likely a variant on the Defibrillator Doppelbock (two LMEs rather than 1 LME and a booster):  http://www.mrbeer.com/defibrillator-doppelbock-recipe

I planned on using the included yeast... anyone have some strong feelings that using a T-58 would make either better?  

• Like 1

T-58 specifically has a "spice" like component when it is done fermenting. The MB standard yeast is "cleaner" when used at the recommended temperatures. I like the MB yeast as the beers have a cleaner finish to them, no lingering taste in the mouth. More refreshing, at least to me.

I did this last September (recipe thread here), but am not thinking of drinking it until this holiday season.  I've opened a few bottles to check progress, and the early taste four months in was pretty spice forward, but the one I opened last month has mellowed quite nicely.  I'm not sure how Mr. B recommended it be done, but I added the spices pretty late in the boil, and then pulled them before transferring to the fermenter.  I used three packs of the standard Mr. B yeast.

363cade44017bbe3fbd4f1c3b4dd43cd_640x640

I have a winter dark ale up next and was thinking of making a winter dark coffee ale using fresh ground cold brewed coffee at the bottling stage. Just trying to figure out which yeast would be best for the task.

y not try sum coffee malts

@swenochka - Yeah, you only need to sterilize the spices, I think, no cook the, and the result from 1 Tbs is pretty spice forward for several months until it calms down, then after it mellows it is really nice sipping beer for winter football games.  I left the spices in the wort. I particularly like the dark fruit notes of the beer.

I did a dwa with a maple bacon beercandi  syrup addition. Tried one after 2 months and the maple came through but no bacon flavour but otherwise good. Gonna b patient as hope the bacon flavour does. Something for you to try hoppy if your interested.

I split one can and made 2 batches of different things - an Amber and a Saison.

I will try one straight up with plain yeast and maybe one with Belgian yeast and dark sugar. (or does the can have dark sugar in it already?) 

I did spices in the wort during after burn on the first batch. (excellent) 4 bottles are saved for special salutes.

My next batch, for a test I tossed the spice bag into the fermenter, 8 weeks conditioning comes monday. Oh Boy is this Great!!! "Flounder" (Animal House)