Mr.Beer Community

I had the hand held black beauty from Mr Beer, It doesn't work that well anymore. I've been looking at the bench capers and was wondering what you folks like?? 

Nothing to think about - it's the best there is.  I've been using mine for 2 1/2  years without issue.  Bench cappers are far superior to wing cappers.  Mount it on a piece of wood.

post-57583-0-66409200-1440282762_thumb.j

• Like 1

I have heard they are good and almost baught one last week as my winged capper has not been working great lately. The only reason i didnt is because on all the reviews i read the only complaint was it didnt work well if you have differing height bottles. I have short neck recycled sierra nevada bottles mixed in and may be something to concider if you have the same different bottle issue.

The biggist complaint I have seen during research is the amount of plastic components. But then again, some of these people may be applying too much pressure and putting too much stress on those pieces. I have just gotten my bottle count up to where I can glass bottle for the first time on my next batch, so I have been reading the reviews as well. In the meantime, I purchased a "vintage" bench capper that was built by the Everedy Company in Frederick MD back in the 1930's off of Ebay. Very cool working piece. If it ends up not doing the job (and I doubt it wont) it is still a nice collectors item.

I have heard they are good and almost baught one last week as my winged capper has not been working great lately. The only reason i didnt is because on all the reviews i read the only complaint was it didnt work well if you have differing height bottles. I have short neck recycled sierra nevada bottles mixed in and may be something to concider if you have the same different bottle issue.

The Super Agata, as opposed to the "non-super" Agata, easily adjusts height.  You put handle straight up, and it goes up.  You push it down.  Clicks into notches.  I adjust from one height to another in like 1 second.  I also try to put the same height bottles together, roughly, so I'm not going up and down.  But I don't use short neck bottles if I can help it because they don't fit my cases good and I have plenty of regular, but there is some height difference even among them.

Rick, does it go tall enough for 22 oz bottles? They are 11 " tall. And can it happen that the bottle height is between the notches? 

13+ inches.

For a few bottles, I find that the right notch means I can't just place the bottle in from the side, I slightly tip it top first into the bell, then place the bottom down.  Not an issue really.

My first batch took forever to bottle.  Once i got the knack, I'm a bottling machine.

Nothing to think about - it's the best there is.  I've been using mine for 2 1/2  years without issue.  Bench cappers are far superior to wing cappers.  Mount it on a piece of wood.

attachicon.gif20130314_142837.jpg

This is the same bench capper that I purchased at Rickbeer's suggestion.  It's a good investment.  I've only done long neck and shortie 12 oz bottles, marked the slots for each and can bottle a case by myself in less than 30 minutes... Not very fast, but I have no complaints.  FYI - I've never mounted mine, I sit it on the table, sit my LBK next to it, fill a bottle, cap a bottle, and go to the next one.

• Like 1

I had the hand held black beauty from Mr Beer, It doesn't work that well anymore. I've been looking at the bench capers and was wondering what you folks like?? 

I use a red one where I hold one handle in each hand, put it on the bottle and pull down.  I've bottled 450 bottles with it and no complaints.

91W7tbtAEFS._SX355_.jpg

• Like 1

I use a red one where I hold one handle in each hand, put it on the bottle and pull down.  I've bottled 450 bottles with it and no complaints.

91W7tbtAEFS._SX355_.jpg

My Red Barron started to act up after about 10 batches. It now refuses to cap certain bottles.

The red one is real popular, I almost sprung for that. Found a similar all metal wing capper that is doubtless. Works quite well for the price

I'm using the black plastic one from Northern Brewer, so far so good. I haven't capped a lot with it yet though, so we'll see how well it lasts I guess.

I have about 160 bottles done with this model.  The only issue i've had is bottles wanting to slip out on the bottom when capping.  I put a kitchen towel on the counter and it holds it, no problems.  Only one bottle type so far didn't work, the Primator bottles... the cap wouldn't clinch to the bottles...  I think that was the bottle shape more than the capper.  

I would have probably preferred a bench capper, but space doesn't allow.  This wing capper is nice and small and easy to store.  

• Like 1

I would have probably preferred a bench capper, but space doesn't allow.  This wing capper is nice and small and easy to store.  

This.  My wing capper has served me well for almost two years now.

• Like 1

Four years into my Red Wing capper no issues.  If you have the space to store a bench capper I would go with that.  But if your limited on space a wing capper is the way to go.

My Red Barron started to act up after about 10 batches. It now refuses to cap certain bottles.

Blame the capper and not the bottles. The bottles are what's trying to get you.

I dunno... my wing capper doesn't like narrow-necked bottles (like DogFish Head) and just feels "iffy" when I try to cap one. Your standard long-neck, it feels solid. Even the stubby bottles (like Sierra Nevada) don't give it grief, just those narrow-necked ones.