Mr.Beer Community

Hello to all,  I have been brewing beer for 25+ years.  I am going to be posting some recipes here, and offering help to any one who wants to learn to brew with the Mr. Beer Fermenter (LBK).   I am a fan of the LBK, and really a fan of just about all of the equipment that Mr. Beer makes.   My basic philosophy is that you do not need to spend thousands or tens of thousands of dollars to brew great beer.   And also 2 - 2.25 gallons of beer is just about the perfect size to brew.   The ingredient costs are low, the water impact is much lower, the results are great.  

So feel free to ask questions, and share your experiences as well.   Mr. Beer is a great thing even if you aren't using their ingredients, the equipment is great common sense equipment. 

Is there any recipe or type of beer that people really want to see a recipe for?

• Like 3

Probably all the clones that folks on this forum are asking for and if  they can use some of the Mr B ingredients they bought already so much the better.

• Like 1

Been using the LBKs for about 7 years for primarily all-grain brewing.  Totally agree that the equipment is adaptable to all-grain. You can basically take any all-grain recipe and cut it in half (well, 42% or something would be exactly accurate, but half is easier) to ferment in the LBK.

• Like 2

There is a brewery that produces a great bottle of Root Beer. I believe it's "Small Town Brewery" but not real sure. Anyway this root beer has a 5.9 ABV. and is great with a big bowl of popcorn. Does anybody have a recipe for this high ABV brew?

I normally like a good hoppy beer but for some reason I tried this stuff.  UM-Um Good. Does mean I'm turning?

Bikerboy 

The only hit I ever had on the LBK ( I still have two of them but no longer use them) was that it was a PITA to clean.  I went with buckets (two gallon now) and have been much happier and much fewer cuts on my wrists and fore-arms.

What I REALLY miss about the LBK though is the ease at opening it when it comes time to dry-hopping in the middle of the fermentation.

There is a brewery that produces a great bottle of Root Beer. I believe it's "Small Town Brewery" but not real sure. Anyway this root beer has a 5.9 ABV. and is great with a big bowl of popcorn. Does anybody have a recipe for this high ABV brew?

I normally like a good hoppy beer but for some reason I tried this stuff.  UM-Um Good. Does mean I'm turning?

Bikerboy 

"Small Town Brewery" is Pabst (actually their Four Loko branch, or at the very least a partnership with these entities).

Here's a homebrew rootbeer that comes out pretty darn good...

Grandpa Willies Hard Root Beer

---Primary---

1 tsp yeast nutrient

1/2 tsp yeast energizer

4 oz brown sugar

4 oz lactose

1 pound light DME

Nottingham Ale Yeast

Boil DME, brown sugar, and lactose with about 4 cups water. Pour in primary. Add nutrient and energizer. Top off. Let cool and pitch yeast. Ferment for 5-7 days. Stabilize (if kegging). Wait another week.

---Before Kegging or bottling---

1 cup sugar boiled in 1 cup water

5 1/2 oz wildflower honey

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 tbsp root beer extract (McCormick)

Boil sugar and add to bottling bucket. Then add honey (warm it so its easier to pour) and the extracts. Let cool and add primary. Pour in Keg or bottles.

If bottling, let carb and put in fridge so the yeast doesn't continue to carb and over carbonate bottles

This is the recipe that I used as posted on Home Brew Talk. Keep in mind this is a one gallon batch, so scale up as needed.

Or, if you prefer not to use the rootbeer extract, here's Charlie Papazian's recipe (that I haven't tried)...

MacJack Root Beer

Ingredients for 5 gallons

3 quarts brown molasses

2 oz sassafras bark (with a warning about sassafras bark and the FDA and cancer- if you are concerned do some research first!)

2 oz Sarsaparilla (woody, shredded)

2 oz wintergreen (herb)

1.2 oz licorice bark or root (woody, shredded)

1 vanilla bean (Chopped)

0-1 lb honey corn or cane sugar to taste

whole list of other optional ingredients - see book if interested!

instructions:

add herbs, root, spices and molasses to 2 gallons of boiling water and immedietely turn off heat. Let steep with lid on for 2 to 4 hours. then strain the flavoring ingredients out of the root beer wort and add cold water to make 5 gallons. taste and add sugar to your preference. transfer to a keg and chill 33 to 45 degrees F. Force carbonate with CO2 until you achieve desired carbonation.

always mantian the keg at cold temperatures. if storing for long periods of time, check pressure weekly. if there is pressure buildup, then release pressure and consume as soon as possible. 

Then there is a small section about fermenting root beer like other beers, and suggests adding 2 to 3 pounds crystal/carmel malts for residual sweetness.

• Like 2

Probably all the clones that folks on this forum are asking for and if  they can use some of the Mr B ingredients they bought already so much the better.

I have written a series on All Grain Brewing in a Mr. Beer LBK for my blog Counterbrew.  I love the LBK.  And the ingredients are so much better now that coopers is involved.  I think Ill do a series on Partial mash brewing for the Mr. Beer LBK. 

Bikerboy 

I've been working on a clone of "Not your fathers Root Beer"  But I cant say it is ready for release yet.   Ill search some forums and see what I can find.   I'm intrigued by the recipe posted above. 

I've been reading your blog, it's pretty interesting. Thanks for posting it.

I normally like a good hoppy beer but for some reason I tried this stuff. UM-Um Good. Does mean I'm turning?

Bikerboy

Not Your Father's Root Beer is the name. And it's heartburn in a bottle! Tasty though.