Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
HoppySmile!

octoberfest/marzen

will start the 5 gal. octoberfest this weekend since i've got time to do so, should be ready by that time i'm hoping. will be using a grain/extract recipe should come out pretty good as long as i go by recipe and not get inventive

• Like 1

I did one of those last year from an all grain kit and split it between 2 LBKs. It was not a strong beer but a pleasant Oktoberfesty drink.

Technically, an Oktoberfest Marzen is supposed to be brewed in March (which in German is "Marzen") and consumed in October so you're about 5 months late, Hoppy...lol. :P

• Like 3

Talking of which, how is Mr Beer doing with aligning release of seasonals  so that with brewing/maturing delay they will be consumable in correct season?

It seems from what I remember, Mr B is usually a little late?

• Like 2

I cud dye it green for the month of martian?????? it'll be ready by 2016 3rd month left quadrant 260 degrees latitude, negative 47 ronin...... marzen code....

okay i'm cancelling the marzen brew, goin to do the Scottish brown ale sittin in the store room instead, waiting on my mr. beer shipment so I can do a 5 gal monkeys dunkel, and 5 gal Jamaica mon, those have been my favorite recipes so far

You don't have to NOT make the Oktoberfest.  Josh R was just telling you how the Germans did it back in the day.  You can still make the Mr. Beer Oktoberfest now and drink it in October.  It's just that, traditionally, the Germans liked to take their time when they did things.  Just look at how long it took them to take over Europe back in the thirties/forties.

• Like 2

Hopefully in brewing the Marzen for October you will have better luck than the Germans trying to take over Europe.

• Like 1

I have an Oktoberbeast ale that I bottled at the end of last month, thought it would be ready by the beginning of October (yes, I know, Oktoberfest is celebrated at the end of September, whatever) but due to a PEBKAC error, I misjudged the amounts and ended up with a beer that is about 2.5% ABV stronger than I wanted.

This might turn into a Decemberbeast... what kind of label I make if that comes into play ought to be interesting.

:D

I brewed one that turned out excellent.  I used a can of Cooper's Lager as the base, added steeping grains, two lbs of light DME and Hallertau hops.  Two to three months conditioning really brought the ingredients together.

• Like 1

ok, I did the octoberfest/marshawn( pronounced as mar- shawn), added sum vienne munich malts and carapils, 2 boosters and 1 lb of amber DME a 5 gal batch. I chose this over the long shelf life of my dble hopped ipa which takes basically 4 months to drink, I just dnt have that much time...., to wait 2 drink............

I think the biggest issue you'll have is using "sum" instead of "some".  It may impact your results, I know it impacts my reeding uf yur pohsts.

• Like 3

I think the biggest issue you'll have is using "sum" instead of "some".  It may impact your results, I know it impacts my reeding uf yur pohsts.

Come on Rick, translating will help stave off Alzheimer's. You know, keeping the mind active and all that.

• Like 1

just bot another mr. beer kit complete, for under 20.00, but the hme can is outdated. got a frnd buying it frm me anyway, tryin to pay it forward for mr. beer

No, Michigan won yesterday vs. Oregon State. Lost our opener though.

Our Gophers squeaked one out against the power house that is Colorado State.

Sheldon Cooper asks, "Was that sarcasm?"

"Yes, Sheldon, that was sarcasm."

• Like 1

I kept the coutdated can of patriot lager, will use it in my 5 gal Jamaica mon. my frnd got the rest of the kit. I should be getting my mr. beer order in todays, and since their recipes were on sale I bot a monkey's dunkel and Jamaica mon, y not? I have other ingreedences to make up for the other half of the 5 gallon

IMHO, i think mich st should be at least #3 in the polls looking at their schedule, and looking at tcu schedule, sayin alot here since i'm a big 12 follower/fan

• Like 1

just checked on the flocculating yeast activity on the octoberfest, looks really active, i was worried at first bcuz after when I got all 5 gallons into the carboy I had to aerate it, and since I got that nifty lil weed eater line wrapped around a plastic rod so when spinning very fast it produces a vortex creating oxygen. by this time, and way before, I was already pretty much plastered, well it was that moment I didn't have a power drill to complete the process. so I just put the whatchamacallit into the carboy and using my hands moving them horizontally rapidly with the rod in between I was able to create a very weak vortex, but I guess it was enuf to get it going! i'm so Hoppy right now!

using my hands moving them horizontally rapidly with the rod in between I was able to create a very weak vortex, but I guess it was enuf to get it going!

I have such a dirty mind.

:o

• Like 1

that's pretty cool, I was thinking it was a red condom with sum crazy sumthing gonna happen! instead it was just a vaaadda bang vaaada boom!

the cool zone is just fermenting away, all I do is add 5 ice bottles every 12 hrs and it'll do the rest! best home brew investment I've made so far!

will be racking the octoberfest/marzen into a secondary for another month to lager Saturday, unless I have to work. I really need to take a break frm brewing, seems I can't plan any time to go visit frnds/family. I really dnt care about time off to visit frnds/family, i'd rather spend all my time brewing beer............

Brewing the Marzen anytime of year is possible these days since we rely on refrigeration and not caves to keep the fermentation temperatures in line. That's the nicest thing about homebrewing we can brew what we want whenever we want to.